January 31st, 2008

Schneider: Not making the choice any easier

Former presidents Bush and Clinton attended the funeral of former Russian president Boris Yeltsin together in 2007.

The question of the past vs. the future keeps raising its head – this time in a question that raises the dynastic concerns in the minds of many Americans: nearly three straight decades of a Bush or a Clinton on the presidential ballot.

Clinton turns the question on its head, repeating a pithy campaign trail formulation that always resonates with Democratic audiences: it takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush.

The happiest man this evening? Howard Dean. So far tonight, the Democratic party is the big winner. This debate clearly beats last night’s debate. But if you’re trying to use the forum to decide which candidate to support, you might come away more uncertain than ever.

Related: Watch Hillary Clinton take a dig at President Bush

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Norm

The bottom line is that in a general election, Hillary's greatest liability will be Bill Clinton. The same voters who gave George Bush a second term based on "Moral Values" will fight tooth and nail to keep Bill Clinton out of the White House because of his past misdeeds. Because rural areas have so much influence under the Electoral College, this issue will tip the scale and put another Republican in the White House. It's a sad reality and I hope I'm wrong about this.

January 31, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Susan

I am so proud of both of Senator Clinton and Senator Obama. Yes, I have my preference, but at least now I can start to feel that whomever wins, I will proudly vote for the DEMOCRAT!!

January 31, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  3. Howard Pavane

You are absolutely correct. I thought my mind was made up (Obama) prior to tonight's debate. Now I am rethinking which of these two candidates will get my vote on Tuesday. The good news is that either one will make a great president and surely has much more to offer than any of the Republicans. It is good to know that Howard Dean is happy – he should be.

January 31, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I'll consider voting for a good independent (if that option comes up) if clinton wins... I can't feel ok about the two families... since 1980...

January 31, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  5. frank

where is the debate i dont see one so far . wolf needs to shut her up

January 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  6. Tim & Kim

Clinton was not impeached....and the young girl got her 15 minutes of fame...in the body of a young women. All men at some point have made mistakes including past presidents. His error of judgement was between him and his wife...what he did was a human error against his family not against his country. Forgive and forget. Besides....Bill is NOT running...you need to listen to Mrs. President.

January 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  7. Thomas

The more I watch the more I'm convinced a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton (either way) ticket will be one that will be almost impossible for the Republicans to beat.

January 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. Susan B.

Obama is all form, no substance. He waxes poetic about change and the future and hugging mothers...but what CAN he do about it? He is a GREAT speaker but if we're looking for inspiration, let's vote for that Michael Douglas character in The American President. Oh, wait. That was make believe!

If you were looking for an employee to run a business you inherited, would you go with the one who wowed you with rhetoric about how great the company could be or would you glance at a resume and think about actual achievements. if it was YOUR livelihood? C'mon. Get real.

January 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. Melvina Jordan

I have been watching presidential debates since their inception in 1960 ( my first time to cast a ballot). Since the historic Kennedy-Nixon debates, this is the first time that I have seen true intelligence, grasp of the issues. and the genuine feeling that I would be equally pleased to have either of these candidates as the next President. Ever since Admiral Stockdale had his hearing aid turned off during a vice-presidential debate, last evening during the Republcan debate i wished that I had an aid to turn off. I think many Americans feel as I do. Last night I saw "Bush on steriods" vs." Mr. whatever you want, I am it" it completely turned me off and wish for Admiral Stockdale's hearing aid!!!

January 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. Austin

Wolf Blitzer's BLATANT support of Obama is disgusting. He should be ashamed.

January 31, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  11. jewel littenberg

I disagree as to Senator's Clinton and Obama creating confusion as to who is the best suited for the job. In my opinion, Senator Clinton appears to be much more in command of the issues. She speaks with a convincing voice that she clearly understands the problems and solutions. Her words have substance. I do not feel the same about Senator Obama. I feel his answers are peppered with many unnecessary words......and can be condensed into a few sentences. She will be ready to take charge from day 1. He will have to rely on too many to push him in the right direction.

January 31, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  12. eiohr

Actually when it comes to Bill or Hillary, I always thought that she was smarter than him all along. But in 1990's there could be no way a woman could run for president. We've come a long way baby!

January 31, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. Steves

I thought Sen Clintons comback about "It woud again take a Clinton to clean up after another Bu$h" was right on.

January 31, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. keith landreth

How Can WeFeel Safer As aNation With A woman AsPresident When The Middle East Thinks Verry Little Of Women

January 31, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. steve

cheap shot by Wolf on being nieve.

January 31, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  16. theal2

They are both doing the Democratic party proud.

January 31, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  17. Mary Bethea

Senator Clinton did not vote against the war from day one; what make the American people think that she will have our soldiers at heart , if she is elected president of the US..

January 31, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. jim mosier

unfortunately what Mrs. Clinton meant was that she will be a better pooper scooper...

January 31, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. Amy

I could not in good conscious vote for either Obama or Clinton. Both of them will sell the American people short.

January 31, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. Josie

Seriously, she knows these issues inside and out. He has been drilling home the same points and lines he has used at all the debates? Is that all there is?

January 31, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  21. Mark

Clinton is coasting and all Obama can do is agree...c'mon he's not driving home the point that McCain or Romney will hammer on a Clinton. Obama would be difficult for the Republicans because they don't have any offensive plays laying on the bookshelf ready to dust off against him.

January 31, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  22. d

Give it up on the adultery issue. Its old news and its none of your business.

January 31, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. andrea

i think that obama and clinton balance each out very well and instead of taking jabs at each other they are making jabs together against the republican i think which eaither won wins they should pull in the other one they would be a great power team.

January 31, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. Phil Mancuso

a question for both candidates....
    How do your positions differ from those outlined in the Communist Manifesto?

You both seem to have little regard for the constitution.

January 31, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  25. Al

Obama/Clinton? She wouldn't go for it and she's too old. Clinton/Obama? A winning ticket and the next 16 years ... well, not sewn up, but at least given a good chance.

January 31, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |