January 31st, 2008

Schneider: Strength v. strength

Clinton’s trying to say she can match Obama Kennedy for Kennedy – but in this Kennedy family feud, Obama’s got the edge.

So she tries to steer the argument back to stronger turf: the ability to fight. She’s been through the wars, she’s saying - she can withstand anything the Republicans throw her way.

Obama counters with his strength: bringing in new voters. And framing the choice as the past vs. the future. He could use this question - about the 90s – as an opportunity to bring up the Clinton Wars of the 90s. He isn’t – in part because he wants to preserve the evening’s conciliatory tone.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Nini B

Go Obama~~ we need change, and Obama can make change, he has and very able to reach every young person in our great country.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. JOHN

Let me tell you this as an Irish man born and bred in N.Ireland. The Kennedy family fundraised and supported irish terrorists for years.So as far as I am concerned I am glad Clinton doesn't have any Catholic Kennedy endorsement.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. mARK

I think this will be a great Slogan for Hillary. She said something like,
    IT TOOK ONE CLINTON TO CLEAN OUT THE FIRST BUSH AND MIGHT TAKE ANOTHER CLINTON TO CLEAN OUT THE SECOND BUSH.

January 31, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. James Mayo

Bush was a rookie, well his son was. The whole Iraq war has been run horribly from the beginning.

January 31, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. Amy

Obama is not Presidential material.

January 31, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. rhonda

Obama looks like an amature compared to Clinton . . he is too inexperienced.

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. leadership for america

Hillary is clearly the more experienced and poised candidate. After every encounter, every debate, I have to ask myself what it is that Obama is trying to say. So what if he can talk a crowd into a tizzy. I have horror visions of him being elected in the first day of office and saying, "What the heck do I do now?" Obama is Junior Varsity. He is not ready to lead this country in the next 8 years. He might be my candidate in 8 years, after he gains a bit more experience. If it comes down to Obama as the candidate, I fear that I, like thousands of democrats who have never crossed a party line in their life, will vote for McCain. For the sake of this country, don't let this happen.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  8. Tar Heel Fan

What a great ending! And Hillary actually showed a sense of humor. It's going to be a difficult choice on Tuesday here in Illinois.

January 31, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. Alba

Look at Clinton's record over the last six years and look at Obama's. Go back and watch or read what has been said about them by the opposition in Congress. You would be surprised by the praises that Hillary has garnered by some of the most ardent Clinton enemies in Congress. Over the last six years she has earned their approval.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. W J Souza

I find it very difficult to watch this debate with the obvious bias of Wolfe towards Obama. Wolfe's favoritism towards Hillary is sickening. How can you call this objective reporting?

I suspect that someone on the Clinton team has warned Wolfe in advance of the debate to go easy on Hillary .If I had been Barak Obama I would have challenged Wofe in front of the American public.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. Tom

This was the the poorest moderation job of all the debates that I witnessed. Allowing one candidate to plug their campaign at the end of the debate was the icing on the cake.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  12. sameoldstuff

Obama won this – hands down

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. Gera Godoy C

Hi....
    I am here in Panama watching all Presidentail candidates, of both parties talk on how they are going to solve all their problems and oviously I laugh......They apparently, up to now at least, suggest they will solve all......We here in the previous election heard exactly the same tune.....but the reality is another story. Anyway that´s not our problem so all I say is to all up north..good luck!!!!.....
    What does worry me some is that none up there remembers who their neighbor is and what is going on down here.......Many of us are beginning to think that other forces years ago shouted that the North Americans just looked at us like stupid bannana republics and dum people to be used to your pleasure......Watch out, I certainly do not want to think of us all, after all, sitting with China, Venezuela, Iran and other dictator nations to survive and progress in the XXI century. The US used us much to their advantage, check history, will you be ready to confront a threath in your backyard due to closing your of eyes to your neighbors??? I doubht it. We leave in different times and there are no more bananna Republics left.

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  14. Klaus

Hillary, you were clear and concise in detailing your solutions to very difficult problems. I salute both you and Obama to remain very civilized throughout the debate....but Blitzer, you called her NAIVE!! That will come to haunt you, when she is finally stepping into the Oval Office. Or maybe she is a forgiving type.
    My vote goes to her! Her clean-up after Bush comment – priceless!!

January 31, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |