January 31st, 2008

Schneider: They each have what the other wants

On the issue of experience, Obama’s trying to say “me, too.” On the issue of unity, Clinton’s trying to say “me, too.”

Both have a tough time making their cases. For Clinton, it’s especially difficult: Despite her Senate record of working with Republicans, she’s known as a tough partisan – he’s viewed as a consensus-builder. But now people want what they thought President Bush would be – a uniter, not a divider. It’s very tough to imagine a Clinton bringing people together.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Melissa

Let's not forget that so many of the staunch Bush supporters 8 years ago would now take anyone over G-dub. I'm one of them. His approval ratings have been in the dumpster for a long time and the majority of voters in this country gave him their trust. He's done a lot more harm than good to this country despite the challenges that he's faced.

January 31, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  2. jeannie

I wish someone would ask them both how they feel about keeping government
    deliberations and resultant actions secret from the public. Hillary's health plan failed
    largly because it was decided in secret by people whom were unnamed.
    Would she do it differently next time? What is Obama's record on openness?

January 31, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. michael

You're missing the point. Hillary's "me toos" are based on experience and a proven track record. Obama's are based on poetic promises and "hope."

It's style (Obama) vs. style AND substance (Hillary).

I'll take style AND substance over style with the hope for substance any day!

January 31, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  4. Mary

I see OBAMA as being refreshing with a positive attitude. Let's bring on a change with a new name in the white house.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  5. Diane, Santa Fe,NM

Hillary Clinton is alway's saying "we" as if she were President Bill Clinton's Vice Prez.

I am tired of her round about answers, and never a straight answer shall touch her lips.

She is the same old white house, only in female form.

I am tired of her arrogance and sense of entitlement.

I am voting for Barack Obama.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  6. michael

bird, bitter much?

Obama's slumlord ties are going to be a much bigger scandal than any of the right wing witch-hunts which ALMOST brought the Clintons down.

January 31, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  7. Tracy M'wabeni

I think Billl Schenieder is so biased against Senator Clinton. You are endorsing Obama clearly and I dont think you should be doing that but analysing the truth. You are scared of a woman being the commander in chief. Bottom line

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  8. suze

Hillary you are one experienced woman. Will be happy if you become my President

January 31, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  9. Hobbster

I do believe we have witnessed the unification of the Democratic Party. These two didn't debate, but discussed minor differences on the same issues. I believe we are seeing the next president and vice president sitting on the same stage!

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  10. Tracy M'wabeni

Hilary is not only polished but one of the most intelligent woman I have ever heard speak. she compares well wtih Margaret Thatcher.

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. MaryJane Lenon

Your comments extrapolate far beyond what the candidates are saying in this debate and your obvious bias toward Obama is coming through clearly...

January 31, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. allan hatfield

go hileryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

January 31, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  13. christopher

Clinton does has experience- She has played an integral role in the divisiveness of American politics since the 1970's. I want a president able to reach across the aisle and bring compromise back to government and who will return popular sovereignty to the political equation.

January 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  14. allan hatfield

to become or to forgettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttobama

January 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  15. allan hatfield

hilery has done............................

January 31, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  16. Jeri

Thumbs down on Bill Schneiders comments. Is your job to critique or be a critic ? We can make up our own minds based on what we've seen and what we see.

Thumbs down on Carl Bernstein.........his comments are as rough as his appearance.

It's time for both to give it up !!!

January 31, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  17. Aneta

Go Clinton! You won my vote tonight!

January 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. Gold Canyon Gal, AZ

Yes, they do...and it's the perfect compliment. It's the PERFECT ticket!

January 31, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |