February 1st, 2008

Clinton touts her own Kennedy endorsement in ad

Robert Kennedy Jr., stars in a new Clinton ad.
Robert Kennedy Jr., stars in a new Clinton ad.

(CNN) – Days after three influential Kennedys came out in support of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton released an ad featuring her own Kennedy clan supporter: Robert F. Kennedy's son Robert.

The environmental activist and attorney publicly endorsed the New York senator’s White House bid late last year.

This presidential campaign cycle has seen a split in the Kennedy family, many of whom generally avoid weighing in on political contests. Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, Rhode Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy and former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy all endorsed Obama at a campaign rally on Monday. Caroline has since appeared in an Obama campaign commercial, and Sen. Kennedy has begun stumping for the Illinois senator in key Western states that head to the polls February 5, Super Tuesday.

In the new 30-second Clinton ad, Robert Kennedy compares the New York senator to his father, who also served as a New York senator after a stint as attorney general in the administration of his brother John F. Kennedy.

"My father tried to be a voice for the most alienated and disenfranchised members of our society, from Appalachia to the migrant farm workers," Kennedy says. "Today Hillary Clinton is the champion for the voiceless in our society."

A Clinton ad also features the grandson of the late Cesar Chavez, a labor activist and former leader of the United Farm workers. "Hillary knows how to solve our problems, to get things done," says Cesar L. Chavez.

On the trail, Obama has used the slogan “Si Se Puede” – generally translated as “Yes We Can” – popularized by the late Chavez, a revered figure within the Latino community.

--CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Bill, Albany, NY

Hillary forgets that Cesar Chavez was against Illegal Immigration since it hurts US workers economicly although Im sure many of the Confederat flag waying right wingers here will say that she is kissing up to HUGO Chavez.

February 1, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Harrison

how about Richard Nixon for a Hillary Clinton ad? That's who she reminds me of.

Champion for the voiceless, the invisible Americans?

February 1, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. Viktoriya

I am glad that CNN finally posted some information about these endorsements to Sen. Hillary Clinton. She has strong support among many established Democrats, but she is not making big show out of it as Obama.
    Go Hillary, we believe in you!

February 1, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. ILL Advised

That's definitely a desperate move... I think it's more hurtful for her than anything... The fact that she mentions the name Kennedy reminds everyone that she didn't get the key Kennedy endorsement.

Another bad move from the Clinton camp, no wonder she keeps losing substantial leads all over the country...

February 1, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. Sal

LOL from a want to be politian with clout.

LOL

Ride the Wave

Obama 08

February 1, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. Vince, Phoenix AZ

At least it was covered so we don't have to hear... (insert whiny voice).. "why won't CNN cover HILLARY's endorsements... "

February 1, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Sherry

Why is Hillary so reviled? We as women are the fabric that holds this country together. Men in general, have deserted us, our children and our parents. We raised those men, coddled them, and stood behind them. Hillary has put up with all of their ribald jokes, attacks on her credibility, and their boiler room approach to the issues that this country faces. I see men who have worked in the senate against Hillary, why? I see men who have ran for president and lost, against her. I see great women of our time, against Hillary. I see Democrats who have never supported anyone, but the party’s nominee, against Hillary. We as women are afraid to say these things and I ask myself why. Never, in the history of a presidential race has the way someone looked had so much more import, than the way that person thinks. Her desire to be president is no more self serving than other nominees. I am tired of hearing, because he dares to give her what she gave him (loyalty), he is tainting his legacy. She has put forth real solutions to the economy, the war in Iraq, healthcare etc. She knows the nuances of her solutions and she gives details. The other candidates have no answer to Hillary’s real solutions, her intellect and her ability to stay on point in the face of such adversity. We will elect a woman for president. If this woman is not qualified, then, no woman ever will be. She is known all over the world. She has to be twice as good as all the other candidates and she is.

February 1, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. Nick in Atlanta

Caroline compares Obama to her father. Robert compares Hilary to his father. And if I had the choice of John F. Kennedy for President or Robert F. Kennedy as President I think the choice would be clear! One of them was already elected President! This is one time where we should follow history and let the true candidate move into the White House and let the other maybe go back to being a statesman – or making documentaries about feminism? She can call it the Inconvenient Truth as well. Nobody will know the difference, because nobody wants to see either one of them!

February 1, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. Michael

While I'm a great admirer of Obama and am just about convinced to vote for him, I'm deeply troubled by his supporters, surrogates and the media punditocracy constantly denigrating and dismissing Hillary's supporters and, more importantly, Hillary, who is a fabulous candidate with a long history of fighting for Democratic cuases and principles. Are all of these vitriolic attacks coming from liberal or moderate Democrats with no memories, consciences or ability to buold bridges within the Democratic party itself – let alone with independents and moderate Repubs -or are we hearing from bleating closet- Repubs and intolerant me-tooers following the latest rock star?

February 2, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  10. Robin

I can not get the moderators to place any of my comments on this site and they are do not use offensive language and relate to the topic.

February 2, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  11. tomdavie

There is such a sharp contrast between Clinton and Obama supporters.

Look at these replies.

The kennedy endorsements for Clinton came long before Ted Kennedy had his hissy fit.

Its interesting to note that the older kennedys support Obama, and the younger ones support Clinton.

According to the change hype, it should have been the other way around.

February 2, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  12. AJ

If I were Hillary, I would be much happier receiving this endorsement than either that of the drunken murder Ted or that do-nothing Caroline!
    Bobby Kennedy Jr has done much for the nation with his environmental work and should be a role model.

February 2, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. Goody Eugene, OR

I'll take Robert Kennedy Jr., and sister's Kathleen and Kerry's endorsement over drunk Uncle Ted Kennedys any day!

Hillary All The Way!

February 2, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. Marjorie

Great endorsements for Hillary! Cesar Chavez's son and Robert Kennedy, Jr. represent the concerns of the same people Hillary represents: health care for all, educating our children for a better future, and a cleaner, greener environment. And it appears she will have the "women's vote" as well. Hillary Clinton-the first woman President of the United States. Yes!

February 2, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Marti

His endorsement is not new, he endorsed HRC months ago. Not suprisingly, since he is a New York politician, obviously seeing the carrot the Clinton's are holding in front of his nose: Attorney General.

For the record, Robert's mother, with nothing to gain politically, endorsed Obama this week.

February 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  16. Bob

I wonder what Jacqueline Kennedy would say about her daughter supporting Obama. She's probably rolling over in her grave!

February 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  17. ed

Ohh, the Kennedys!!! The liberal image lingers and it is unfortunate,
    it is sticking with Obama – the ultra liberal label... An ultra liberal
    cannot win the election!!! American voters are smart, the media
    hype of Obama leading the polls is an abomination. There is a
    "hidden" Hillary vote. It is not magnified but it is real. I was one
    who was not ready to vote for another Clinton. But my wife, my
    daughter and my sisters(all women) not active nor interested
    in political campaigns in the past, now, they e-mail, call in their'
    own way convincing friends and relatives to vote for Hillary!
    Can you imagine, when I sent my absentee ballot, I voted
    for Hillary instead? Obama has great oratorical skills and
    charisma and smart too, except he has no depth like Martin
    or Jesse. I am not sure why he is running. He has appeal, yes,
    but he lack the presidential timber of toughness. I do not know
    about you, I was not willing to gamble MY VOTE. I voted