February 1st, 2008

Coulter wants Clinton over McCain

Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

(CNN) - In the latest sign that a conservative backlash is starting to build against John McCain, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she is prepared to vote for Hillary Clinton over the Arizona senator in a general election match up.

Speaking on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes," Coulter took aim at the GOP frontrunner, and suggested he was little more than a Republican in name only.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Coulter took aim at McCain's positions - particularly his fervent anti-torture stance - and said he and Clinton differ little on the issues. Coulter also said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination.

"John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country," she said.

Coulter is the latest high profile conservative to express dismay with McCain's surging candidacy. Talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh continued. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

McCain has long been at odds with conservative members of his party. — Exit polls from the early-primary states have shown the he has consistently lost among those primary voters who identify themselves as conservative. But he passed a key test Tuesday in winning Florida's primary, the first early contest that only allowed registered Republicans to participate.

Reacting to criticisms from his party's most conservative quarters, McCain told the San Francisco Gate Thursday, "I'll continue to reach out to all in the party, try to unite the party, until everybody realizes that the only way we're going to defeat the Democratic candidate is through a united party."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Val Davydov, MA

I do too!

February 1, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. Pat Huntington NY

Is this one of the 7 signs of the End of Days in Revelations?

February 1, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. Mike S., Nawlins

You know you've been a bad, bad Republican when Ann Coulter supports Hillary Clinton over you.

February 1, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  4. Dan - Austin,TX

After last nights debate , it makes a lot of sense. I was an Obama fan , but now I'm going to vote hillay!

February 1, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. Liam

Senator Obama's camp should run with this:

Anne Coulter to campaign for Hillary.

That should bring Democratic voters to their senses.

February 1, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  6. cherylincanada

That does it. If Ann Coulter is thinking about voting for Clinton it's time to switch to Obama.

February 1, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. Lou

This is the only time I have ever liked hearing her talk. I know she did not mean what she said about voting for Hillary but still I understood her position and she was not mean spirited about it.

February 1, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. George from Minneapolis

What more proff do people need that Obama is a better candidate than Hillary. If Ann Coulter supports you, that pretty much says all that needs to be said about your ability? to inspire and lead the nation.

February 1, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  9. Fred, Reston Va

Now all those who say Hillary cannot bring people together can just shutup. They don't get any more right than this nut.

February 1, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  10. JM

I won't vote for any Republican in this race, but the fact that right-wing nut jobs like Rush and Coulter-geist hate McCain just makes me like him even more.

February 1, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. COLLECTIVE WILL

Views and support keep changing so its impossible to get definate answers i can take to the bank

February 1, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. PJ

Just more evidence true Dems should be backing Obama

February 1, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  13. Mike

The neocons are finally realizing they are being left out in the cold by the mainstream republicans. It is funny to watch them become completely irrelevant. Goodbye FOX, Coulter and Rush you had a good run but your marginalized and radical views are 10 years behind reality.

February 1, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  14. Carrie

Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter are awful people. This is what is wrong with America! Why do the republicans take these two idiots so seriously?

February 1, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  15. JP

When Obama wins the nomination, Hillary and Ann Coulter could run together as a third party- I think they have a lot in common!

February 1, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. Bill Persons

I AM 71 YEARS OLD.
    I HAVE ALWAYS VOTED REPUBLICAN.
    I HAVE NEVER MISSED A PRESIDENTAL VOTE.

I VOTED DEMOCRAT THIS ELECTION.
    I AM WHITE.

I VOTED FOR THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE.

I VOTED FOR BARACK OBAMA.

I WOULD VOTE FOR A FEMALE CANDIDATE BUT ,NOT , NEVER, FOR
    HILLARY CLINTON.

THE ONLY REPUBLICAN I WOULD VOTE FOR PRESIDENT IS MITT ROMNEY.

February 1, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. Braineel

Heh this is a good counter to Kennedy's endorsement for Obama. Who would have ever thought Coulter we even make such a statement? The republicans need a facelift.

February 1, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. jason(Pittsburgh)

I mean If Anne thinks Hiliary is a better candidate for her then McCain and she is as right wing as right wing can be, what does that tell you about Hilary?

February 1, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. Bob Wit

So, the Clinton supporters should be crying right now...

I hope the news media gets this out with the headline "Coulter Chooses Clinton"...hahaha. Either way, it doesn't seem to me that Coulter's comments will gain Hillary any new ground with anyone, and hopefully it will make her lose some.

Obama!

February 1, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  20. Rob in NC

Hey! Another reason to dislike Clinton and love McCain for me :D

Thanks Ann, this is the first thing in years I've listened to anything you've said (and shame on CNN for making me listen to _anything_ you say :P)

February 1, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Jeb B

Ann Coulter is known for making outlandish statements. She is not a true Republican; she is merely a radical conservative. Her comments have no bearing on the Republican party.

February 1, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. attom

If we are reduced to caring what Ann Colter thinks is best for anybody, the GOP or the country – well, we're really in more trouble than I thought.

February 1, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. tess

well-what do you know...there's one proof that hillary is a uniter. imagine this woman offering to campaign for her. of all people!!! as hillary said if we want somebody to beat the republicans, she's our girl!! clinton-obama '08!!!

February 1, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  24. Richard, FL

Based on all her mindless comments from the past, apparenlty Ann Coulter is trying to ruin the career of another politician - Hillary Clinton.

February 1, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. Vincent

hahaha, I guess every vote counts???

February 1, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |