February 1st, 2008

Coulter wants Clinton over McCain

Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

(CNN) - In the latest sign that a conservative backlash is starting to build against John McCain, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she is prepared to vote for Hillary Clinton over the Arizona senator in a general election match up.

Speaking on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes," Coulter took aim at the GOP frontrunner, and suggested he was little more than a Republican in name only.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Coulter took aim at McCain's positions - particularly his fervent anti-torture stance - and said he and Clinton differ little on the issues. Coulter also said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination.

"John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country," she said.

Coulter is the latest high profile conservative to express dismay with McCain's surging candidacy. Talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh continued. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

McCain has long been at odds with conservative members of his party. — Exit polls from the early-primary states have shown the he has consistently lost among those primary voters who identify themselves as conservative. But he passed a key test Tuesday in winning Florida's primary, the first early contest that only allowed registered Republicans to participate.

Reacting to criticisms from his party's most conservative quarters, McCain told the San Francisco Gate Thursday, "I'll continue to reach out to all in the party, try to unite the party, until everybody realizes that the only way we're going to defeat the Democratic candidate is through a united party."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Jim

The very fact that Coulter is against this makes me think that the voters are on to something here.

February 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Whatever Haps

I think she's just on a Band Wagon. I am Sorry But I really Don't Think Clinton Will Be able to Handle the Iraq Situation. She has never served and really Doesn't know how it really is out there.
    I Think Mc Cain has the upperhand in that area. I Just know She is not prepared to handle what really is out there.

February 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Jane Whitmore

I agree with both Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. The Republican establishment has its' head in the sand if they think they have given us conservatism in John McCain. At least Hillary Clinton doesn't pretend to be anything else but liberal. On the other hand, John McCain says he is conservative, but he is anything but.....I don't think think my Republican party is taking into consideration how powerful the religious conservatives are, and how much their votes will count. Time will tell.

February 1, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Amused, Las Vegas

Ann Coulter's best day was 9/11. If Barbara Olsen was still around, Ann would have faded to well-deserved obscurity a long time ago.

February 1, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. Wendy - New York

Hey Carrie...funny thing is that NONE of the Republicans that I know, including myself EVER take that nut job Coulter OR Limbaugh seriously! We all think they are jokes! Especially that Coulter... I find it so hard to understand why these stations keep letting her even talk! Someone really needs to pull out the gags!

February 1, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Anonymous

wow, id never thought id live to see the day that ann would support hillary...

February 1, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. John Round Rock, Texas

I'm with you, Ann. If it's going down the tubes, I'd rather have a Democrat driving than a Republican that thinks he's a Democrat. We'll never live down a McCain presidency. However, after four years of a Democrat screwing up it, people will be ready to listen.

February 1, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Veterans for McCain

What !! Is there no room for a war hero in Ann Coulter's party?

February 1, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Bill A Middletown ct

Ann will do or say anything to sell her books.She's a master saleswoman.That's all she's good for.

February 1, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. A true Republican in Ohio

Wouldn't it be great if Coulter, Limbaugh, etc. didn't support McCain and he still won? Their acts got tired a long time ago.

February 1, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. Fred

Here's what everyones missing about A.C.
    She resently wrote a long article of endorsement for the GOP Nom.
    She ripped all the R candidates and said there was only one true conservative
    Senator Fred Thompson
    FACT...... 48 HOURS later Sen Thompson had dropped out.
    She is sooo good at picking winners.
    I have to agree with an earlier comment, A.C. is exactly whats wrong with the GOP.
    McCain is against illegal immigration, and he has common sense.
    The idea that 12 million illegals can be deported is just stupid.
    Deporting the illegal mother of a son on the front line in Iraq is stupid.
    He admits he's not an expert on the economy... HONESTY how Refreshing!
    Maybe GOP should be thinking McCain-Romney in that order.

February 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. Ann

Ann and Rush must be doing the same type drugs, what a shame

February 1, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. Eric Hanson

Give me a break. Coulter supports the establishment be it Democratic or Republican. What I have to say for McCain is a Teddy Roosevelt tagline "Bully!"

February 1, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. deb

John McCain votes with his party 80% of the time. American Conservative Union gave him a 82%. He is the most consistently anti abortion. Votes in favor of confirming strict constructionist judges. What is your problem, Republicans? he may not be perfect but he is electable. I have voted straight Republican since the age of 18 and I am now 53. I am voting for mcCain! If you Republicans vote for a Democrat you are not Republicans, you are spiteful.

February 1, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. Brett Leggett

Ann Coulter has two reasons for making this statement. First, Ann Coulter likes to hear herself talk. The crazier or more controversial she is, the more attention she gets. Second, there is no way she would actually support Clinton over McCain. She undoubtedly hates both. However, by stating she would support the dreaded Hillary, she is trying to fire up the base into stopping a McCain nomination by showing how he's the greatest of three evils among Romney and Huckabee. But make no mistake. If it's Hillary vs. McCain, dispirited neocons like Coulter who actually show up to the polls will "hold their noses" and vote for McCain.

February 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Rachel

Yikes Clinton, you know that's bad when Coulter thinks you're the best conservative out there.

I'll stick with Obama, thanks :)

February 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. escondidoguy

Go get em Ann! Ann Coulter for President!

February 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. Steve

If that blond ding-bat thinks that way, it gives me more reason to vote McCain.

February 1, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. Charlie, Upstate NY

This should make it unanimous. Now everyone hates Ann Coulter.

February 1, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Mr DE

Bill Persons :
    "I HAVE ALWAYS VOTED REPUBLICAN."
    "I VOTED DEMOCRAT THIS ELECTION."
    "I VOTED FOR BARACK OBAMA."
    "THE ONLY REPUBLICAN I WOULD VOTE FOR PRESIDENT IS MITT ROMNEY."

Make up your mind Bill and you decide!!!!!

Im a democrat and I will always be a democrat, I always voted for democrats and I will vote for a democrat candidate this 2008 election.

I dont pay attention and I care less who endoreses who....Sometimes endorsment meaning less.
    Culinary Union in Nevada endorsed Obama. I support Hillary. I was at caucus on January 19, 2008 at one of High School, You didnt beleive what I saw at that school, I can count with my fingers how many people in Obama's group. Every rooms evey corners every where people for Hillary. I was so glad and I decided I volunteer helping people to make sure they have register and have a voting ticket,

This SUUPPPPER TUESDAY, dont be surprised that 70% of about 1700 democrats delegates will go for HILLARY.

YOU DECIDE!!!

February 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Terry, Butte, Montana

Wow, what a good read, including all the comments...

This is extremely difficult for me to say... but, she actually made a valid case for all the sane people in this country....

For those of you voting on Super Tuesday:

If you don't support Hillary or McCain, which both look like they will be the nominees... Then reguardless of your party,
    YOU MUST VOTE FOR OBAMA!!!!

It is the only sane choice left that has a chance at the nomination.....

February 1, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Dave in PA

This poor soul only makes noise to get attention. Hasn't anyone noticed?

If she thinks she can drive people to support Romney this way, it won't work. For once, Independants will control this election.

February 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. Barbara McGee

Why does anyone pay any attention to what this woman says or does?

February 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Laura

I can see it now– Clinton/ Coulter '08.

If this isn't an eye-opening, slap-in-your-face, wake up call to the democrats who support Hillary, I don't know what is. Too bad this endorsement didn't come in time for the debates. I'd like to have seen Hillary try to explain herself out of this one. You know you've gone far astray when Coulter endorses you.

February 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Anonymous

That's what Bush did for the republican party. They realize that there is no way that the nation is going to elect another republican if it's not McCain.

February 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |