February 1st, 2008

Coulter wants Clinton over McCain

Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

(CNN) - In the latest sign that a conservative backlash is starting to build against John McCain, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she is prepared to vote for Hillary Clinton over the Arizona senator in a general election match up.

Speaking on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes," Coulter took aim at the GOP frontrunner, and suggested he was little more than a Republican in name only.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Coulter took aim at McCain's positions - particularly his fervent anti-torture stance - and said he and Clinton differ little on the issues. Coulter also said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination.

"John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country," she said.

Coulter is the latest high profile conservative to express dismay with McCain's surging candidacy. Talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh continued. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

McCain has long been at odds with conservative members of his party. — Exit polls from the early-primary states have shown the he has consistently lost among those primary voters who identify themselves as conservative. But he passed a key test Tuesday in winning Florida's primary, the first early contest that only allowed registered Republicans to participate.

Reacting to criticisms from his party's most conservative quarters, McCain told the San Francisco Gate Thursday, "I'll continue to reach out to all in the party, try to unite the party, until everybody realizes that the only way we're going to defeat the Democratic candidate is through a united party."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Dan

Awwww, the right wing talking heads are mad because their nominee isn't "ideologically pure" enough for their taste. Surprise, Rush and Coulter: Republican voters aren't the mindless dittoheads you thought they were, and you don't own their vote.

February 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. MB

HRC endorsed by coulter, i love it!

February 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Jim ( Independent )

Lets face it McCain and Clinton are train wrecks.

February 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Eric Hanson

Coulter supports the establishment be it Democratic or Republican. What I have to say for McCain is a Teddy Roosevelt tagline "Bully!"

February 1, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. rok

It's called reverse psychology- ANN COULTER knows how hated she is and if she endorses a candidate many people will run from that candidate...The Republicans are afraid of Hillary Clinton and don't want to run against her in November...regardless of what the right leaning media wants us to believe.

February 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Robert

Republicans are in such disarray and this proves it. Rush, Ann, Fox...keep it up

February 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. mark, wilkes barre pa

theres no difference between the far right and the far left,, there both far off

February 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Travis

Ann Coulter is bad for the world. John McCain is a MUCH better candidate than Hillary, I truly believe that this woman would use her husband as her running mate, creating a dictatorship in the US since 1988. If you aren't sure of what I'm talking about, G. Bush, B. Clinton, G. Bush, H. Clinton, J. Bush.... IF we elect Hillary and Bill into office, Jeb will follow after 8 agonizing years. Cut her down now, get McCain or Obama in office and good things will follow.

February 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Dawn Berry

I never thought I would agree with Ann on anything. Wrong. I agreed when she said (months earlier) that Duncan Hunter was her first choice. Now I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with her about McCain. The fact he is resurrected after his stubborn stance (along with Kennedy, et al) on the "comprehensive amnesty" legislation is astounding! I am appalled and disgusted that people have actually catapulted him to the forefront after that particular fiasco. Took years off my life, I think! I can hardly bear to turn on the TV without seeing his smirking face up close. Everyone is salivating over this situation. What country is this anyway?
    Way to go, Ann. Courageous of you to stick your neck out, again.

Dawn

February 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. jared

I have always voted Republican for President. At the State and local level I have voted both Rep. and Dem. This might be the first time that I vote Dem for President. McCain's support for the war and surge are the center of his campaign. What is his stance on illegal immigration. After the debate the other night I was left wondering what his stace was. He never said what his plan is now that his terrible plan was shot down! He claims to have integrity because he served in the military, but was involved with the Keating Five scandal! After taking money for his campaign from a criminal McCain tried to get the the lead investigator to back off Charles Keating. This is the same McCain that championed campaign finance reform!

What kind of deals do you think McCain has been making behind the scenes to get all the endorsments that he brags about. We all know how it works, we just don't have the sense to put a person in office that isn't status quo.

February 1, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. John

Sad that a respected news channel like CNN would give publicity to a hateful, partisan, spiteful pundit like Ann Coulter. She is a prime example of everything that is wrong with the US and, like a 3rd grade bully, we would be much better off ignoring her.

Stop giving her Press.

February 1, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. JCruz

I want to know how you get by this liberal filter to get your comments posted.

Maybe I should use buzz words, such as independent, or maybe even Hillary is great. No I won't go that far. In truth neither Barak nor Clinton can win in November. Romney will have a difficult time getting by the Conservate wing of the party and McCain will get the nomination by default. As a conservative Republican (Reaganite) and strong Bush supporter i will vote for McCain even though I too consider him a closet Democrat. (Kennedy) _Lieberman... Birds of a feather flock together.

February 1, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Harold

Coulter demonstrates honesty and an open mind. Qualities you hypocritical, liberal toads do not possess. Liberals always talk about their "tolerance", but only for those things and people that suit their agendas. LIberals are far more close-minded than conservatives. Always the expansive do-gooders.....if they're getting what they want.

February 1, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. ED

There isn't a CONDOM strong enough for any non republican Male to want anything to do with DUMBO EARS COULTER. Any man would have to use rubber gloves to even grab her by the ears.

February 1, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Bill

Vincent February 1, 2008 11:19 am ET

hahaha, I guess every vote counts???
    -----
    Unless you live in Florida or Michigan.

February 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Michael

Why does this person have any credibility with anyone? I seriously doubt whether most of the civilized and educated world cares what Ann Coulter cares about any topic or person. She has consistently demonstrated that she will willingly lie about anything or anybody to further her reactionart agenda

February 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. ralph

I didn't even waste my time reading what Ann Coultre has to say. She is the most mean spirited woman in politics, and she often sounds like an A__ !! I wouldn't imagine any politician wanting her to defend, support, or do anything else for that matter for them.

February 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Jer

If those of you on the left think this is the end of (Rush and) the conservative movement, that was said in 1976, 1996, and yadda yadda. Seeing as how Slick Willie never got 50% of the vote ever (remember?), I'll stick with the Reagan Republicans!

February 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. PJ

First off, our country is facing some definite challenges, and despite Democratic-theory, it is not all President Bush's fault. I'm amazed at how often they try to use him as a scapegoat for EVERY single problem facing America. The Democratic politicians do this because they know it earns Democratic votes. Voters believe this because they are ignorant... or stupid. I'm sure there's a good mix in there.

Second, these challenges are not going to be fixed by insider senators who have been sitting on their thrones, high and mighty. They are part of the problem. McCain, Obama, Clinton... these are the very people who have been adding to our problems, not fixing them.

Third, I hate John McCain.

Ok, that third one seems kind of out of place, but I just want to point out that Ann Coulter is not the only conservative who would consider voting Democrat if McCain is the Rep. nominee. Which puts our country's future in a predicament if it comes down to a Clinton / McCain showdown. This, to me (and other conservatives like me) would be similar to saying that you've got to pick between Lucifer and Greasy-Slimeball Jerk for president. Hmm... I'll let you decide which one is which.

Romney is the only true conservative Republican who embraces the values and principles of Ronald Reagan. He's not been sitting on a seat in the senate, which is a plus. And, on top of that, he has an amazing record of fixing some of the exact problems our country is facing (specifically organizational overspending). I would rather have a president with successful business experience than a president who has been a politician or lobbyist his/her whole life.

God help us if we see Clinton and McCain each pick up their respective party's nomination.

February 1, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. Anonymous

She's an idiot

February 1, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. moderate

Ann Coulter you are ridiculous! It's people just like you who are ruining this nation.
    The right winger conservatives gave us Bush for 8 years and look at us now!

February 1, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. Janet Keyser

I can't believe Ann would want to vote for Hillary Clinton. That was a shock!

February 1, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Harold B.

I plan on doing the same thing. I am a life long Republican who loves George Bush, but would rather have Hillary in the White House than McCain. McCain is an intellectual dolt and a liberal medial hog. Further, Hillary is smarter, more decisive, more experienced and will bring a real agenda for governing to her Presidency.

February 1, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. Rosswill

Well, we always knew that Coulter was a whack job – do we really need more evidence? Does place Hillary in a bit of a predicaement, though – you hate to turn down support when you're running for office.

February 1, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. James

She's part of the Republican machine. They don't like M because he's not going to be there BOY like Bush is.

February 1, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |