February 1st, 2008

Coulter wants Clinton over McCain

Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

(CNN) - In the latest sign that a conservative backlash is starting to build against John McCain, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she is prepared to vote for Hillary Clinton over the Arizona senator in a general election match up.

Speaking on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes," Coulter took aim at the GOP frontrunner, and suggested he was little more than a Republican in name only.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Coulter took aim at McCain's positions - particularly his fervent anti-torture stance - and said he and Clinton differ little on the issues. Coulter also said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination.

"John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country," she said.

Coulter is the latest high profile conservative to express dismay with McCain's surging candidacy. Talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh continued. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

McCain has long been at odds with conservative members of his party. — Exit polls from the early-primary states have shown the he has consistently lost among those primary voters who identify themselves as conservative. But he passed a key test Tuesday in winning Florida's primary, the first early contest that only allowed registered Republicans to participate.

Reacting to criticisms from his party's most conservative quarters, McCain told the San Francisco Gate Thursday, "I'll continue to reach out to all in the party, try to unite the party, until everybody realizes that the only way we're going to defeat the Democratic candidate is through a united party."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Brooks Knight

I'm sorry, Ann Coulter is a total joke. She will say anything to get attention, and seems to love that people hate her. While her statements don't surprise me because she's basically a shock political celeb, it does show that the republicans don't stand a chance.

February 1, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. Sean

Its about time the Repubs come to the RIGHT side!

February 1, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. pjs

Who cares what Ann Coulter thinks? What qualifications does she have to tell us how we should cast our vote and advise us on matters of national importance. As near as I can tell her experience consists of clerking for a judge and working in a Senator's office. These are hardly expert qualifications.

If this woman came up to you on the street and offered her "expert" advice on how you were raising your child, you would probably tell her where she could put her opinion. I suggest that you do the same with her opinion on who to vote for in the election.

If her qualifications are all it takes to get people to vote a certain way, then I'll tell you that I am a licensed professional, with many years of experience in working with state and local governments. I am an officer in the military, and have led troops into Afghanistan. I think my qualifications equal those of Ms. Coulter and I say that John McCain understands that a President must exert leadership over politics, must put his country ahead of his party, and has the character and integrity to carry us through the challenges of the next 4-8 years.

February 1, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. steve

"I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Now I know Coulter needs to be committed. With more comments like that, she will help McCain be elected! Here we have a Naval Officer who has come out for MORE troops for Iraq, who has championed the cause of the Fight Against Terrorism, and now she says Clinton (the wife of the Viet-Nam dodger) is more ready to lead us in the Fight??? She's either gone nuts or is a PLANT for McCain.

February 1, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. Alex

Who cares what Coulter has to say, she is irrelevant anyways...

February 1, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. eric

Brilliant! Another ridiculus comment from Coulter just to get her name in the press. Hopefully with another 30 seconds of fame her 15 minutes will be up and she will just go away.

"said he and Clinton differ little on the issues" oh, and so well informed! Yes please go campaign for Hill.

February 1, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. IMG

Somebody tell her to get a life!

February 1, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. Don Tate

So what does John McCain know that Ann Coulter doesn't? Not much, except that he has experienced more in his battered flesh than she has in her worst dreams. He knows what real war, not talk war, is. He knows the difference between winning and losing. He knows not to disemblowel the fighting spirit of the troops by bringing them home in another disgraceful defeat. Alone among candidates, and would be commanders in chief, he predicted that our "light footprint " strategy in Iraq could not work and the current surge would work.
    Compare that to Clinton's famous lecture to Gen. David Patraeus that sucess in the surge would require a "willing suspension of disbelief."
    So how great it will be to have a commander in chief who actually knows what the heck he is commanding.
    And how to be easy to be brave and arrogant and all knowing, brushing away a man's true heroics like so many dead flies, Miss Coulter, when one is safely in the arena of hot-air journalism, not of life and death.

February 1, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Perry

Rush and Ann keep talking.... but does anyone still listen? I Guess I'm a RINO by Ann's standard... I seem to remember that Republicans were NOT in favor of getting into other people pocketbook or their business.... but I guess that is no longer the case with the Ann/Rush crowd.

Here's to seeing a new Republican Morning! Go McCain!

February 1, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. sgr

Oh, now Ann Coulter will support Hillary after slamming her repeatedly? This proves the point that these political pundits are full of hot air. Ann Coulter seems to say anything that will get her press (Does she have another mean-spirited book she is trying to push?).

It's amazing that Conservative Republicans can't compromise on a more moderate candidate even if he has a great chance of winning, but they expect Moderate Republicans to stay home and support their postiions. If just proves how little integrity they really have.

February 1, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Phil J

Can you (the media) stop paying attention to this ignorant person? Everytime she opens her mouth she lowers the collective IQ of anybody within earshot!

Peace through strength!

Phil J

February 1, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  12. Doug Bell, Harrisburg, PA

Coulter said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination? Riiiiggghhht. Clinton, if she's smart, wouldn't let this Coulter-Creature within 100 yards of her! Coulter - what a pathetic piece of garbage.

February 1, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  13. An Agnostic Democrat

Thanks, Man Coulter! Not that I even considered it from day one, but you have just given me another reason not to vote for Hillary! Can't wait to see you, your "junk "and your Adam's apple out campaigning for her. Maybe you can get in on her live town hall on Monday night.

I've always said the Clinton years were Repubican-lite and you've confirmed that fact. Hillary wants it every way when ask to clarify and her way when she's challanged. Kinda like you, Ann except she a Republican in Democrats' clothing.

February 1, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. Cherish Davis

No one with a valid perspective on any political issue cares what Ann Coulter thinks about anything.

February 1, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. Phred

Wouldn't her endorsement have more of a negative impact than positive? I am conservative and I am republican, but even I notice that this woman is an egomanical, self serving talking head who, quite honestly, isn't very bright. The only skill she seems to have is making enough people made to generate some headlines.

February 1, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. Joseph

I'm so pleased that Coulter is quasi endorsing Clinton. I wonder if Hillary will bring Ann along on the campaign trail with her?

Anyone but Clinton '08!

February 1, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  17. Ed Molnar

I feel just the opposite. I’m originally from the Midwest (Ohio), and I believe I retain my Midwestern values, common sense, and balance. I’m moderately conservative, pro-choice, and while I consider myself politically independent and don’t vote a straight party ticket, the fact is I’ve voted Republican in every presidential election since 1968. Now, however, I am ready to vote for a Democrat for president, and I know there are many others like me. But I will not vote for Hillary, and if she is nominated, I will vote for her Republican opponent.

I’m ready for a change, and by that I mean not only a change from an administration gone awry, but also a change for something wholesome and energetic. Ethics, values, and straightforwardness are important to me, and Ms. Clinton brings weighty baggage in those areas. Intentionally but subtly putting race into the contest, then waging an unscrupulous campaign in Florida and touting it as a victory are further examples. Most of all I’m put off by the “it’s all about me” attitude she purveys; she could make a great contribution to the nation by remaining to become a powerful, effective leader in the Senate, but of course that was never her intent. When I’ve been asked who I like for president and I respond, “Anybody but Hillary,” others around me invariably agree. So count me among the “anybody but Hillary” army I sense is out there, something the Democrats need to take into account as they vote next Tuesday. So despite McCain's liberal leanings, he's the man if she's the woman; otherwise it's Obama.

February 1, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  18. Alison, FL

Oh God!...This is definitely a bad omen for Hillary!...lol

February 1, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  19. mike

talk about a uniter... can any other candidate get votes from both fanatical "conservatives" and mainstream liberals?

February 1, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  20. David - Oregon City

Laura Ingraham officially announced today that she would be voting for Mitt Romney. These so called “King Makers” (elite conservative talk show hosts) continue to divide conservatives whereby liberal candidates walk away with the elections. People like Ingraham don’t understand they are turning the voters off with their underhanded slandering of conservative candidates in support of their pre selected candidate within the party. The Democrats win every time the conservative talk show hosts try to support one conservative candidate over another. It turns the voters OFF!

February 1, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  21. Chris Lamphere

Why does anyone really care about what Ann Coulter has to think or say. I think you will find she has fewer people following her these days. Her venomous style is repulsive!

February 1, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  22. Rod Rogers

Ann: What a shocker to read those words. But u8pon reflection, i feel the same way. If the republican party want to try to shove this milk toast politician down our throats, i will vote for Hillary, too.

February 1, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  23. John

This proves Ann Coulter takes after Brittany Spears

February 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  24. CARL

Ann–I nominate you for V.P. candidate along with Hillary–AND you could convince the world that you both want the best for the U.S. and humanity–thanks for your insight into what is going on in politics

February 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  25. Ann

I will not vote for Clinton now...

February 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |