February 1st, 2008

Coulter wants Clinton over McCain

Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

(CNN) - In the latest sign that a conservative backlash is starting to build against John McCain, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she is prepared to vote for Hillary Clinton over the Arizona senator in a general election match up.

Speaking on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes," Coulter took aim at the GOP frontrunner, and suggested he was little more than a Republican in name only.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Coulter took aim at McCain's positions - particularly his fervent anti-torture stance - and said he and Clinton differ little on the issues. Coulter also said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination.

"John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country," she said.

Coulter is the latest high profile conservative to express dismay with McCain's surging candidacy. Talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh continued. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

McCain has long been at odds with conservative members of his party. — Exit polls from the early-primary states have shown the he has consistently lost among those primary voters who identify themselves as conservative. But he passed a key test Tuesday in winning Florida's primary, the first early contest that only allowed registered Republicans to participate.

Reacting to criticisms from his party's most conservative quarters, McCain told the San Francisco Gate Thursday, "I'll continue to reach out to all in the party, try to unite the party, until everybody realizes that the only way we're going to defeat the Democratic candidate is through a united party."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. R. SONEN

What a millstone for poor Hillary. Who will Ann C. support when Obama gets the Democratic nod?

February 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. Randy S.

If anything else was necessary to convince me not to vote for Hillary, having that nitwit Anne Coulter in her corner would have cinched it.
    She's nothing more than a right-wing Rosie O'Donnell.

February 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. S.P. from Florida

re: ann coulter
    Though not for the same reasons as Ann Coulter, I am equally prepared to vote for Hillary over McCain in November's election.
    I became a Republican because of Bill Clinton, and I am prepared to switch parties again in response to McCain's disgraceful performance on Wednesday evening. Hillary' articulate, poised and professional demeanor in Thursday's debate with Obama convinced me that she is the best candidate for President.

February 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Sam

If Ann Coulter, Dr. Dobson and Rush Limbaugh are against McCain because he is against torture by the US government... then that should tell you something about those people... and not McCain.

How can anyone who believes in the principles of the Constitution of the United States of America, the moral foundations upon which this nation was founded, our long history of struggle against tyrrany, support the use of torture by our government?

Who ARE these people and what is wrong with them?

The more I hear about the reasons why these people are against McCain, the more I want to support him.

February 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. Jeff from Peoria

I think Ann's backing of Hillary only helps John McCain. Thanx Ann – Could you help Obama as well. I'm sure they're just sitting there hoping you'll call (NOT!!!)

February 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Cat, Costa Mesa, CA

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this! I dislike McCain too, but voting for Hillary would be against every moral I have!! I would just choose not to vote should either of them make the candidacy!

I don't get it when people say, "if you didn't vote, you can't complain!!" Oh yes I can!! If McCain is our nominee, not only will I not vote, but I'll sure raise my voice about why! With such a mediocre choice (and I'm going light by saying mediocre), I have all the right in the world to complaign about the sheer stupidity of the republican base, and how they have sold our conservative values down the river!

February 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. ferds

Who cares about Ann Coulter ? She is irrational and doens't know which is right and wrong . She is making a living as a staunch conservative. Nobody pays attention to her.

February 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. HISTORY REPEATS, NY

conservatives are trying to distance themselves from mccain so he will have a chance to win. they know if they support mccain it will hurt his chances since the country in looking for a "change". do not vote republican no matter who the GOP "supports"

February 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. Jeanne

Wow I was shocked to see this ...Ann Coulter said she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain. This is scary . I think I will have to move to Europe if Hillary is in the white house. I love my country but this is nuts.

February 1, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Mitch

I wonder if this will take away any votes for Clinton. I'm sure there are people that hate Coulter enough.

February 1, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. SSJSmith

No thanks Ann. We don't want you on our team. Go find a remote isalnd to live on.

February 1, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. mike

I think Ms. Coulter is trying to scare Independants from voting HIllary by calling her conservative so that Obama will gain the voters, become the nominee and lose the election. Tricky girl, Ann.

February 1, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. grant

This proves democrats better go with Obama; an Ann Coulter endorsement is the death of any unity or independent appeal or movement, and will drive Democratic voters away from the party. if she's campaigning for Hillary, you can bet many Democrats and all independents will side with McCain.

February 1, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Lisa

I don't think I can take anything that Ann Coulter says seriously. Really, she prefers Clinton over McCain? Her commentary is often bloated with high volume hatred for anything liberal and/or democratic. The scathing words she uses in her books to describe those whose views clash with her own are horrendous (and, I'm holding back). If anything, her commentary on these political news shows is laughable. She's so over-the-top, it's funny. This, too, is just some sort of poltical commentary stunt to get people thinking. Here's to you, Ann...keep the laughs coming.

February 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. Trish C. in Omaha

So Ann Coulter opposes McCain because he thinks torture is bad? Watch out Hillary, with friends like Coulter, who needs enemies?

February 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. Chris, Jacksonville

Ahh yes.....

Bring on the crazy!

Having Coulter against him should give McCain a nice bump.

February 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Susan

McCain is a Liar. Not only did he vote against President Bush’s tax cuts and a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, Mr. McCain has also supported embryonic stem cell research and stricter environmental regulation. He fought for looser immigration rules. He championed campaign finance rules that many on the right consider a violation of free speech. He made a deal with Democrats to break a deadlock on judicial nominations that many on the right considered near treasonous.

February 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. ginny

I feel terrible for Hillary, an endorsement by this wreck just can't be good.

February 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. James

Does anyone still take her seriously? This is so transparently just an attack on Clinton.

February 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Jerry

Ann Coulter has once again made no sense. John McCain is an American Hero and will continue the war against Islamic radicalism. John McCain is clearly conservative on many issues, he is just moderate about them. He has a great deal of character. Perhaps Ms. Coulter finds an affinity for Hiliary Cliniton's level of character.

February 1, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. SF Resident

The "San Francisco Gate" is actually the "San Francisco Chronicle." The SFGate.com web site is only the address for the Chronicle's online presence.

February 1, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Don, Rochester, NY

Oh Ann Coulter. The right-wing poster girl. Hillary certainly has some conservative values and I love her for it. She is not, however, more conservative than McCain (Hello! Foreign Policy!!) and this is not an endorsement I want as a strong supporter of Hillary.

February 1, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Julius, Miami FL

SHE ONLY WANTS CLINTON OVER MCCAIN SO SHE CAN WHINE FOR 4 MORE YEARS AND SELL MORE BOOKS. WE'RE SOOOOOOOO OVER HER AND THE SHOCK FACTOR. SHE NEEDS TO GO HOME AND AGGRAVATE HER MAN, or woman, or whomever else will listen to the WHINE

February 1, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. Bernardo

Well, people say they want something different, then go out and vote for the McCains and the Hillaries, which offer us business as usual. B. Hussein Obama would at least do some things differently, even if it is because of his inexperience and naivety. We had some candidates in this race that truly offered a different direction in domestic and foreign policy such as Ron Paul, Mike Huckabee, and even John Edwards, but instead the public looks to be set to choose the status quo. Hillary vs. McCain? I'll just stay home that night.

February 1, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. Trish

Oh she's just trying to scare democrats and liberal independents out of voting for Hillary.

February 1, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |