February 1st, 2008

Edwards will not endorse before Super Tuesday

John Edwards ended his White House run this week.
John Edwards ended his White House run this week.

(CNN) - Sources close to John Edwards tell CNN he will not endorse either of his former presidential rivals before Super Tuesday. "That's just not something he's going to do," said one source.

The former North Carolina senator’s endorsement would be a coveted prize. His exit from the race leaves unions, editorial boards, elected officials and voters who had backed his run suddenly up for grabs. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are aggressively courting all of those groups ahead of next week’s crucial Super Tuesday contests in 22 states.

During last night's CNN debate, both candidates repeatedly acknowledged the former candidate's efforts to make the fight against poverty a priority for the Democratic Party.

Friday, the Obama campaign boasted that it was ahead in the race to nab former Edwards supporters, pointing to new endorsements from elected officials in at least eight Super Tuesday states, editorial boards like the Fresno Bee, and labor heavyweights like the Transportation Workers Union and the California branch of the Service Employees International Union, all of whom had previously backed Edwards.

(updated with new reporting 2 p.m. Saturday)

–CNN’s Jessica Yellin, Candy Crowley and Suzanne Malveaux

1. Renato V CA

-at this point in time, I don't care less who wins the nomination.
    it's ironic that those issues made with good intention, so well stated to the point of becoming a life-long commitment by JOHN EDWARDS is now repeatedly used like broken sound bytes by the remaining candidates for change.

take care John -thank you for all your hardwork and down-to-earth ideals for the american people. God bless you and your family.

February 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  2. Pat

John Edwards is still on the ballot in Georgia. In many states, the candidates must submit to the Secretary of State a notarized Affidavit of Withdrawal. Any candidate who does not do so remains on the ballot, and any votes for that candidate are counted. This would be the case for any candidate who withdrew recently, including Giuliani. So, with the early votes not counted, and the votes today, John Edwards may have a surprising number of popular votes in these states.

February 5, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Judith

Obama is projected winner in Georgia and it was worth my vote. I wish he could
    win but I've seen victory as an African American. I'm encouraged that one day an
    African American will be President. It is time out for white Americans and now other minorities to stop thinking that an African American doesn't have the intelligence that God created everyone equal with. I believe that Martin Luther King living was not in vain, because Georgia is his hometown. The Dream is still
    alive. The world and the economy, amongst other things is getting worst and worst . It is time for a change that only an African American can straighten out, and I'm a woman. I believe an African American should have his turn before a woman,
    Then other minorities, in which I believe is inevitable. Understanding that the
    Governor of Lousiana is Indian. That's a different mind. I would like to say that a
    woman in history disobeyed God first. She was easily deceived. So that has to be
    taken in consideration. I know it's Bible History. But, it is my belief that it is the truth
    of the world and is a part of World History. I also remember Jessie Jackson when
    he came close to being the first African American President. I wish that people
    could get beyond color and see that we need a change in Washington DC.
    I beleive that women saying that they want a woman for change is a facade.
    Hillary is White and that's all to it. Suppose it was Condelisa Rice an African
    American running against her, where does the experience goes then. I remember
    Condelisa(I hope I spelled her name right) saying she wanted to be the President
    of the United States. I was excited about Georgia doing the right thing and I have
    a voice and looked for a way to be heard.

February 5, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  4. military wife

I don't know, its really depressing to see Hillary winning all the high delegate states. I want Obama to win the nomination. I am a woman, however, I really do not want all that drama that comes with Hillary. If the female nominee was anyone else, I wouldn't feel this way.

February 5, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. suzy

What happened to the John Edwards website? It was up this morning and down now. John you still have my vote!

February 5, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. Georgia voter

The media has won--The only Democrat that could have won in the Presidential Election was Edwards. A Republican will win the Presidency in 2008.

February 5, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. Mothernature

The Edwards website was down but seems to be back up now without the blogs.

February 5, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. B Johnson

John, why cant you be a Leader and not wait to see which way the wind blows. I dont understand you any more. I thought you cared about americans. now I see you are just like the others. Aleader will stand for what is right for America. You said you wanted change, My question is change of what. If you dont know by now you dont know. Billary is clearly the same as the past. Her mind set is the same as the rest. My friends and I decided to vote for any republican in protest of Billary, we want Change and that encludes the clintons. They are to poisened by washington to truely care about Americans. They been there all this time and Americans are still suffering. The clintons arent, worried about loosen their home, jobs, getting sick with no true health care. they're not cutting their medicine in half to make it lsast longer. they're not choosen between which bills to pay. My family shouldnt have to do this. my husband retired from the United States Marine Corp. I've worked any jobs thought the 29yrs of marraige with him, and we are still struggling to make ends meet, we now are taking care of my elderly parents because neither of them after working hard in america , can afford to take care of themselves. More burden on us. which we dont mind, but it shouldnt have to be this way.
    John, make a decision, Help us,Help America