February 1st, 2008

Edwards will not endorse before Super Tuesday

John Edwards ended his White House run this week.
John Edwards ended his White House run this week.

(CNN) - Sources close to John Edwards tell CNN he will not endorse either of his former presidential rivals before Super Tuesday. "That's just not something he's going to do," said one source.

The former North Carolina senator’s endorsement would be a coveted prize. His exit from the race leaves unions, editorial boards, elected officials and voters who had backed his run suddenly up for grabs. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are aggressively courting all of those groups ahead of next week’s crucial Super Tuesday contests in 22 states.

During last night's CNN debate, both candidates repeatedly acknowledged the former candidate's efforts to make the fight against poverty a priority for the Democratic Party.

Friday, the Obama campaign boasted that it was ahead in the race to nab former Edwards supporters, pointing to new endorsements from elected officials in at least eight Super Tuesday states, editorial boards like the Fresno Bee, and labor heavyweights like the Transportation Workers Union and the California branch of the Service Employees International Union, all of whom had previously backed Edwards.

(updated with new reporting 2 p.m. Saturday)

–CNN’s Jessica Yellin, Candy Crowley and Suzanne Malveaux

1. Sly

Come on Edwards.. endorse Obama before Tuesday! We need all the help we can get!!

OBAMA 08!

February 1, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. peggyinez

All I want to say about John Edwards is ....

He seems to be such an honest man with honest believes that honestly wanted to help America and all the people that lived in it. I wish him and his family the very best in the future. I say to him....Don't be to hard on yourself...you did the best you could...under the most difficult circumstances. You are young yet...keep at it...look to the future!

February 1, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Watson, Louisiana

OBAMA CAMP–YOU DID NOT GET MY VOTE!!!!!

IF OBAMA WINS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION-I WILL VOTE REPUBLICAN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE WITHOUT REGRET!!!

February 1, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Will

Many of Sen. John Edwards voter oppose the "War". A vote for Sen. Hillary Clinton would support that "War". The people know the truth is OBAMA!!!!!! Go OBAMA GO!!!!!

February 1, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  5. Ryan

Illinois, Conn., Georgia, Colorado, Idaho, and Alabama are states that I believe that Obama has in the bag

California, Minnesota, Missouri...States that Obama is gaining ground in very quickly for the Illinois Senator..

New York, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Arkansas are states he will do very poorly in..I think she has them in the bag

Arizona, New Mexico..Clinton is scratching to keep Latinos and essentially she will. States Obama must win on super tuesday: California, Minnesota, Missouri, and either Arizona, Utah, or New Mexico...

This race is going to be very interesting..I think they split on Tuesday night or she wins 12 of 22..either way this race goes on..and John Edwards endorsement will sway a lot of ppl after Super Tuesday..

WEST VIRGINIA FOR OBAMA 2008!!

February 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. SecondSage

Edwars is playing this perfect. He does not want to decide the nomination.

February 1, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. JAS

I think it is best that John Edwards not endorse either candidate. Let them run on their own merit. With that said, I see so many differences between Obama and Edwards that it would trivalize what I thought he stood for.

February 1, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  8. Michael

Edwards' endorsement is incredibly coveted by both campaigns, but the ground support, as the article mentioned, is seemingly going to Obama, though not entirely. Edwards should choose his endorsement less on political calculation and more on measure substance - what his campaign has been entirely about.

February 1, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  9. Dominic

Bad move on the part of John Edwards. If he really wants to see change and the status quo defeated he would endorse Obama and strive for the election.

February 1, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. Christina

I'm starting to get Obama fatigue. If Clinton doesn't pull this thing out, well let me just say – McCain is starting to look better and better. Enough with the Obama overdose. The media has gone overboard with him. I've had enough, thank you.

February 1, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  11. Mike

That is the equivelant of telling voters to just not vote. Edwards expected peoples vote, expected people to support him and they did. It's his turn now. Make a choice and make a difference. Don't take the political path of waiting to see who has the greatest chance to make you a VP!

February 1, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  12. Jason

Edwards supporters should not allow themselves to be "nabbed" as the Obama campaign has stated they are doing. As this campaign for president has shown, Edwards' supporters have stood by him regardless of how much the media ignored him, regardless of what the other candidates said, and regardless what the polls showed. This is the time for Edwards supporters make up their own minds. Ignore the endorsements. Ignore the media. Ignore those who are saying you MUST vote for a specific candidate. You were smart enough to support Edwards, you are smart enough to look at the candidates, what they stand for, where they will lead this country. ONLY THEN should you commit your vote.

February 1, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  13. Grace

This is one voter who is not "up for grabs." As long as John Edwards is on the ballot, he has my vote. It will take more than Clinton and Obama "talking" about the issues John Edwards brought to the forefront in this campaign to convince me to switch. It is my understanding that since he "suspended" his campaign, rather than ended it, that he is still eligible to retain the delegates he has already and to pick up more, should he receive 15% or more of the vote in the upcoming primaries. I am voting for John Edwards on Super Tuesday.

February 1, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  14. Obamarama

He should support Obama.

February 1, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  15. charlene

If Obama wins nomination, I will NOT vote.

February 2, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  16. Julie, Atlanta, GA

John Edwards represents all that is GREAT about America. Now, it really makes no difference who wins on Tuesday...It is the American people are the ones who have lost because John Edwards was forced to suspend his campaign.

I will vote only for John on Tuesday and I encourage others to do the same. No one else comes close and there is ZERO chance that I will vote or work for Bill's wife or the Obaman.

Best wishes and a lifetime of happiness to John and Elizabeth...I truly believe that fate stepped in and gave John back to Elizabeth and the kids. I also believe that John is destined to use his GOODNESS in ways that are much bigger than the presidency...Events this week have taken my breath away and left me with a deep feeling of sadness, I am also somewhat glad that John won't have to deal with the SLIME that is Washington, D.C.

Oh and big thanks to cnn for all of the objective reporting on the primaries.

February 2, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  17. Jeremy, Jacksonville Fl

Why won't he endorse Obama already? I wonder what Hillary Clinton Promised him to hold his endorsement... We know he is not going to endorse Hillary.... So why not Obama... Who else is there for him to endorse?

His endorsement is not going to have as big an impact after super tuesday..

Edwards wants to be VP.. So he is waiting for a monetary deposit for his endorsement...

Something just isn't right about John Edwards.. I can't put my finger on it.....

February 2, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  18. Ray

Will – A Vote for Hillary is NOT a vote for supporting the war you freak. Hillary has said she will pull troops out.

I'm so TIRED of Obama saying he was against the War. He was to busy skipping votes or voting present in his home state to know the Intelligence that the Senate was getting to know why they voted for the war. Unless he was there to vote, him saying he was against it means NOTHING!!!!!

Obama is ALL talk and no action. All You freaks voting for him are just wasting your vote.

February 2, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  19. real

I think Edwards supporter should support Obama. Hillary stole Edwards healtcare plan and now presenting as her. Hillery stole teh "Change" slogan from Obama and Edwards. She cannot be trusted....

February 2, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  20. kevin from alaska

I think John did a good thing by stepping aside and not endorsing anybody. Rather than being a Ross Perot or Ralph Nader-style spoiler (or even perhaps Mike Huckabee), he got out of the way and didn't let himself tangle up and distort the process.

February 2, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. Jose Card - Independent

That's a smart move.
    Edwards doesn't want to risk losing his V.P. chance.
    He needs a good job.

February 2, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  22. whatever

No endorsement for either candidate benefits Hillary.

February 2, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  23. hate politics

Hillary Clinton is a disengenuous manipulator. This country cannot afford any more of a self serving Clinton. If she gets the Dem nod the Dems lose my vote to whichever monkey the Republicans put forward.

February 2, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. JohnS

Julie– I remain CONFIDENT that Obama will choose Edwards as a running mate (VP) hundred times over Hillary. So, if you really want to see Edwards BACK on the scene, why not extend you vote to OBAMA rather than simply waste it? As VP, Edwards has the potential of being President in the long-run. Let us use our heads here, not only sentiments!!! I was once an Edwards supporter but I cannot continue to do anything that would give victory to Hillary.

February 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  25. Ann, Colorado

I really hope that Mr. Edwards will endorse Obama. I would love to see an Obama/Edwards ticket. Let's make this happen!!!

February 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |