February 1st, 2008

Edwards will not endorse before Super Tuesday

John Edwards ended his White House run this week.
John Edwards ended his White House run this week.

(CNN) - Sources close to John Edwards tell CNN he will not endorse either of his former presidential rivals before Super Tuesday. "That's just not something he's going to do," said one source.

The former North Carolina senator’s endorsement would be a coveted prize. His exit from the race leaves unions, editorial boards, elected officials and voters who had backed his run suddenly up for grabs. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are aggressively courting all of those groups ahead of next week’s crucial Super Tuesday contests in 22 states.

During last night's CNN debate, both candidates repeatedly acknowledged the former candidate's efforts to make the fight against poverty a priority for the Democratic Party.

Friday, the Obama campaign boasted that it was ahead in the race to nab former Edwards supporters, pointing to new endorsements from elected officials in at least eight Super Tuesday states, editorial boards like the Fresno Bee, and labor heavyweights like the Transportation Workers Union and the California branch of the Service Employees International Union, all of whom had previously backed Edwards.

(updated with new reporting 2 p.m. Saturday)

–CNN’s Jessica Yellin, Candy Crowley and Suzanne Malveaux

1. Paul in New Roads La

A well timed departure – thanks John for allowing voters to focus next Tuesday. I hope when you follow your heart, you'll see the desire people have for change can only come from Obama!

February 2, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. Ron

Watson,

Why not! give use some sumstance as to the flip? I will respect your opnion, even though I do not personally know you, but it a simple qustion, why not?

February 2, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. alan, CA

I think him not taking a stand in endorsing someone is going to help HRC. Too bad I had respect for his message now i know hes just a phony not taking a stand. Just like voting for the war , he is calculating for the next opportunity.

February 2, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Melissa

I hope Edwards endorses Obama.

Clintons are the status quo. They had 8 years to give us health care and failed. They lost Congress and left the Democrats *weaker* than when they started. They achieved almost nothing of substance in 8 years, and squandered their time in scandal and missteps. What makes you think they can do it this time?????

What was that quote from Einstein about stupidity being repeating the same action and hoping for a different outcome?

The Clintons were okay but ultimately a disappointment. And they haven't showed us that they have "changed" or matured in the intervening 8 years.

And I'm sorry, but Hillary is essentiall yarguing that becuase she failed and stumbled on healthcare last time, she'll do good this time. Why? Congress has to approve it. And since the Clintons will win 51% if they are lucky, there is little hope of a big mandate and big enough majorities in Congress. Indeed,. they are likely to lose Congress because they will fire up the GOP base.

We can afford to give the Clintons 16 years and risk having achieved NOTHING AT ALL after all this.

February 2, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. jesse

i dont think he is phony just because he's trying to get a job from the winner he is playing it safe and please dont hark on the iraq vote it was screwy intelligence everyone thought was ligit at the time

February 2, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. Bryan

Man, these Obama supporters are ruthless. They like Edwards only if he endorses Obama. If he doesn't he is wrong. There are different opinions out there. Everyone does not support Obama or think he is black jesus. I have never seen such hateful people in my life. Why so much anger?

February 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  7. Nat 1

I saw the last debate.... definitely, Obama is brilliant and answered all the questions. I will vote for him. Hillary is a good candidate too, but this new "era" needs Barack...

February 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  8. Sarah Smith

I would enjoy seeing an Obama Edwards ticket .. and adminstration as well!

Then after that, Condolesa Rice for Prez! BLACK & FEMALE ALL IN ONE! She too is a hard worker!

February 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. obama

Obama will do great in the Whitehouse. I wish him the best and will cast my ballot for him. Of course, I would love to see Edwards endorse him.

February 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  10. Mike

We truly all know who the right choice is. I'm so tired of hearing Obama's "Change" motto w/ little substance behind the change. When you really get down to it....what we need is Hillary. The U.S. is in such a screwed up affair that we need REAL change,,,,,change for the people that need it most–parents working 2 jobs and who can still barely make it, the uninsured, the poor, the sick. Hillary has a DEEP heart and wants the best for our country. She may not have Obama's presence or his ability to move crowds w/ her message....but if you REALLY listen and think "deep" in your heart......There is no other choice than Hillary!!

February 3, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  11. joe

IF OBAMA GETS THE VOTE EVERYONE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN

February 3, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  12. ben nevada

if hillary becomes president, she will be first lady again

February 3, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. Eddie

Thank you John for not endorsing anyone because we all know that you will unsuspend your campaign with a win or two on Super Tuesday!!!

February 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. Ed

That is because he posted his resume for the VP job..

February 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  15. Ed

Go figure if Hillary gets the vote most of the people I talked to are going with McCain...

February 3, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  16. pmorlan

As an Edwards supporter I will vote for Edwards in my Primary. I encourage all other Edwards supporters to do the same.

February 3, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  17. Tom

Typical Edwards. He obviously won't endorse until there is a clear winner.

February 3, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  18. Ken Tilton

Take it from a native North Carolinian–the former "Senator" Edwards is a do-nothing! The man spent 5 years in the senate and there isn't ONE piece of legislation that bears his name. What was he doing all that time(rhetorical question)? On top of that, every time something came up concerning North Carolina, he turned into the invisible man. He couldn't even find ONE DAY to show up in Kitty Hawk during a year-long celebration for 100 years of flight. Elizabeth Dole was there–John Edwards was not. Oh, I forget, Elizabeth Dole wasn't running for president...

February 3, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  19. Steven

Edward's supporters - NOW SUPPORTING OBAMA!!!!
    OBAMA 2008!!!

February 3, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  20. Frank

My respect for Edwards just dropped several notches. He knows the right thing to do for the country is to endorse Obama. Instead, he chose the right thing for himself.

Like many voters, I always thought Edwards seemed kind of phony. Now it's clear he cares more about his career than his causes.

February 4, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  21. K Eldridge

I think it would have been cool to see Edwards endorse a candidate. Is he still hoping for at least a Vice President spot. Kinda leave one impression with me. Power is something else.

February 4, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  22. Paul

YES WE CAN! OBAMA – 08

February 4, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  23. Linda

I am a total John Edwards supporter!. If Clinton and Obama weren't able to get my vote over the past year – they aren't getting it now!

I am voting for John tomorrow.

February 4, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  24. Sioen

If Clinton wins the nomination, Democrats will lose my vote. I've had enough of baby boomers doing their bloody-knuckle hyper-partisan fighting.

I'm a GenX-er, and I and other young people believe we will finally start to get things done in this country when we start working together and leave behind the hate of the past.

Obama is the only answer for the Dems, or else they'll flush this election away, too.

February 4, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  25. Dayna - Houston

Sara – I agree w/ you...that's why I believe Edwards is waiting to give his endorsement to anyone. I think he's hoping for a VP bid.

February 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |