February 1st, 2008

LA Times endorses Obama, McCain

The LA Times endorsed Obama and McCain Friday .
The LA Times endorsed Obama and McCain Friday .

(CNN) – Barack Obama and John McCain Friday won the backing of the Los Angeles Times, one of the most-read newspapers in the United States and most influential in delegate-rich California.

In separate editorials, the paper praised Obama as an "inspiring leader who cuts through typical internecine campaign bickering," and McCain as a consistent conservative with "fundamental individualism."

Both presidential endorsements are the paper’s first since 1972.

"[Obama] electrifies young voters, not because he is young but because he embodies the desire to move to the next chapter of the American story," the editorial read. "He brings with him deep knowledge on foreign relations and on this nation's particular struggles with identity and opportunity. His flair for expression, both in print and on the stump, too easily leads observers to forget that Obama is a man not just of style but of substance."

The paper also praised Hillary Clinton, but faulted the New York senator for her original Senate vote authorizing use of force in Iraq.

"Experience has value only if it is accompanied by courage and leads to judgment. Nowhere was that judgment more needed than in 2003, when Congress was called upon to accept or reject the disastrous Iraq invasion. Clinton faced a test and failed, joining the stampede as Congress voted to authorize war," the editorial read.

On John McCain, the liberal editorial board noted it disagrees with many of his stands on social issues, but wrote, "The Arizona senator's conservatism is, if not always to our liking, at least genuine.

"It reflects his fundamental individualism, spanning his distrust of big government, his support for immigration reform and his insistence on a sound American foreign policy," the editorial read.

California voters head to the polls Super Tuesday, February 5.

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. CA Democrat

Obama gets LA Times. Clinton gets Coulter. Edge Obama.

February 1, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  2. Al, Sacramento Ca

Just in case it doesn't show up on CNN, today's Denver Post's endorsement of Hillary Clinton!!

CNN is starting to look like a FOX to me!!

February 1, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. mike

In other News: The Constitution endorses Ron Paul!

February 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. S Williams

The most important vote of HER lifetime – and she got it wrong.

Three thousand lives lost .
    Millions of Iraqis displaced or killed.
    Increased presence of Al Qaida in Iraq.
    Hundreds of billions of dollars and counting.
    Federal deficit now out of control because of this war.

But to say, 'oh, I didn't think George Bush would attack Iraq".

Then that shows lousy judgement on the most important vote of our lifetime.

February 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Xavier, Washington, DC

There's a tidal wave coming through. Get your surfboards and ride the wave.

Obama 08

February 1, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. tomdavie

excellent endorsement for Senator Mc Cain.

Mc Cain 08

Mc Cain also got the New York times endorsement .

This means everyone who reads the LA times must NOW VOTE FOR MC CAIN AND OBAMA.

February 1, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Mohammad, LA CA

Seems like everyone whose everyone is endorsing Obama. Shame if he loses, really.

February 1, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Rob

Obama is tightening his grip :o! He pulls this off, it will truly be epic....

February 1, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. dawn

Great! I am way out here in a little tiny town in Missouri and We are voting for Mr. Obama becaue he has outlined his political views clearly and he has United all the races and genders. Obama/Edwards 08

February 1, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. Norman

These endorsments have little impact in the larger spectrum. However, as an Obama fan from across the pond I find his take on politics to be refreshing and hope our leaders follow suit. I want him to be elected to the White House.

Do me proud America!!

08ama!!

February 1, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. Dan, NJ

The Obama peace is a great read.

BTW, I am happy to report a poll conducted from January 30-31 showed that HRC's lead in NJ, 16 points about 1 week ago, is now just 6. NJ, like so many other states is IN PLAY.

I will be volunteering tomorrow and I urge every Obama supporter to try to convince 5 people to vote for Obama during your weekend.

February 1, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Michelle

Obama '08!

I believe this man will do wonders for the morale/stature of our country. Given that, who knows what great things can happen?

February 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. LakeShore

Unexpected, but fantastic!

February 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Jim

Give me a break! Authorized the war? They were fed false evidence by the Bush administration. Obama would have voted for it too...had he been a senator. The only reason he's able to say he didn't vote for it is because he was sitting in the state senate for Illinois...they didn't get a vote.

February 1, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. hb4ever

Go Obama '08!

February 1, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. matt

In other words, the LA Times wants Obama for president.

February 1, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. Jimmy O

Go LA Times! Reject the Clinton dynasty. Vote Obama! Vote McCain!

February 1, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. Family in Parkville

OBAMA'08 ! AMERICA IS AWAKENING !!!

February 1, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. DRW

Yeah for the LA TIMES!! I'm glad that they realized Obama's integrity and judgement is what our country needs for the future. We have had 20 years of clintons and bushes. Its time for someone else to get a chance. Out with the old, and in with the new.

Barack and roll!

Obama '08

February 1, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. emily

I think that McCain and Obama are popular for the same reason: both seem genuine and honorable. There's not enough of that in modern politics.

Obama '08!

February 1, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. Tony

As an independent and a vote I am constantly surprised that newspaper think we value their opinions. I watched the debate last night and I was leaning towards Obama but what I saw did not impress me. As a professor of debate here in Colorado it seems like he studders and has a hard time elaborating ideas on the run. We we measure debates there is one main idea that should determine who wins...That is, preparation...Although some people may be turn off by overly prepared statements people who often serve as debate judges often will agree that people who seem prepare do better in convincing in their argument. Barack does not seem prepare and I suspect that is why he has to stutter and seems little compared to Hillary. For what its worth as an Independent voter I am very impressed with Hillary's preparation. I wish she would be a debate teacher.

February 1, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. Dan

This is shaping up to be a historic election. Hillary, Obama and McCain are all good candidates, and I would be proud to call any of them my president. Hopefully Romney will be out of the race by this time next week.

February 1, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. catherine

I believe it is great about all the new young voters coming to the campaign but I am so sick of being regarded as "the past" – I am only 50 am I suppose to be put out to pasture. I say welcome to the new voters but give us "old timers" some respect. I would like to hear someone on the campaign trail to ask why being a babyboomer is such a bad thing? I am still very active in the political world and will continue to be so don't throw us overboard!!! I will vote democrat regardless of the candidate but I would like the Obama campaign to stop acting like the over 45 crowd is not relevant.

February 1, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. Richard Rote (California)

Latinos for Obama!

Women for Obama!

Asians for Obama!

Whites for Obama!

Blacks for Obama!

Unity! Unity! Unity! No more division!

The future not the past!!

February 1, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. David Suttle

This article couldn't be more on point! I agree wholoeheartedly.

February 1, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |