February 1st, 2008

MoveOn.org backs Obama

MoveOn.org endorsed Obama Friday.
MoveOn.org endorsed Obama Friday.

(CNN) - MoveOn.org, the liberal political action committee that claims over 3 million members, endorsed Barack Obama's White House bid Friday - the first time the group has made a primary endorsement.

The endorsement came after the group allowed its members to vote over the last two days on either Obama or rival Hillary Clinton. Obama overwhelmingly beat the New York Democrat, 70 percent to 30 percent.

“Our members’ endorsement of Sen. Obama is a clear call for a new America at this critical moment in history," MoveOn.org's Executive Director Eli Pariser said. "Seven years of the disastrous policies of the Bush Administration have left the country desperate for change. We need a president who will bring to bear the strong leadership and vision required to end the war in Iraq, provide health care to every American, deal with our climate crisis, and restore America’s standing in the world."

The group says it has 1.7 million members across the 22 states set to weigh in on Super Tuesday, and it is now actively recruiting volunteers on Obama's behalf. It also boast an impressive Get out the Vote campaign - in 2006 its members made 7 million calls on behalf of Democratic candidates.

"We’ll be able to immediately jump into action in support of Sen. Obama’s candidacy," Pariser said. "We’ve learned that the key to achieving change in Washington without compromising core values is having a galvanized electorate to back you up. And Barack Obama has our members ‘fired up and ready to go’ on that front."

The group previously made waves last September when it ran a full-page ad in the New York Times that asked of the top U.S. General in Iraq, "Gen. Petraeus Gen. "Betray Us?" The ad immediately drew outrage from members of both parties.

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: moveon.org
  1. Nana

This is a step in the right direction.

February 1, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. ObamaNot

I can just see the GOP machine eating this up. Thats the last time I donate to the Moveon.org organization.

February 1, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Casey

Has CNN endorsed Obama yet? May as well. At this point endorsements aren't going sway anyone. People have already decided upon whom they will vote for on the 5th. Now, it is just time to wait until we go to the polls.

Clinton/Obama 08! A House of democrats united against Nader, Wolf, Schneider, CNN, and the Republican "mad media" Machine.

February 1, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. S Williams

When the moderator posed the question about the 38 year-old woman who has never had an opportunity to vote for anyone other than a Clinton or a Bush on the ticket, that should have shaken every American. Yet, somehow too many people just don't get it.

In a country with 300 million people, why are we so programmed to keep electing the same families over and over?

February 1, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. Ray

All this means is the 70% were already going to vote for Obama and the 30% for Clinton so this really is not going to change anything.

February 1, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Leela U

I am voting Obama. Hillary is a criminal in many many ways. she lied under oath.

February 1, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. Sophia

S Williams- I agree.

Perhaps Middle-East dictatorships are rubbing off on us!

February 1, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Dani,TX

Clinton 2008! :) See you at the polls, may the best woman win! Move over and move on!

February 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. T. Renee

Have people started realizing that Hillary Clinton really doesn't have much more political experience than Barack Obama???

It's a shame that the "inexperience" label continues to pop up over and over again!
    It's time for something new, folks!! If you haven't seriously considered Barack Obama for president, please do so!!

Obama '08

February 1, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. anton

The Move-on endorsement of Obama came on after John Edwards, Move-On's orginal endorsement, withdrew from his presidential race. Supposedly Move-On let their members participate with either a Clinton or Obama vote, no third choice of "neither" which really ticked me off, so I didn't vote at all, however now I'll be saving some money since I will not be donating to Move-on anymore.

February 1, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. Leron

What I see when I look at their supporters tells me all I need to know.
    Hillary has an older base, who is not easily swayed by fanciful ramblings.
    Obama has a bunch of wide eyed kids following him around who have no real world experience and don't care about electing a true pragmatist.

February 1, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. Vivian

HILLARY CLINTON 2008! I'VE MADE UP MY MIND. THE FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. BRAINS, SUBSTANCE, AND CHANGE WITH EXPERIENCE WIN EVERY TIME. GO HILLARY!!

February 1, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. Mercedes Reeder

Move-On has never endorsed a primary candidate, Anton.

February 1, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Captain

Sorry Hillary, The public has SPOKEN... With Edwards out, Obama has picked up his supporters!!! Check out gallup.com and Rasmussen.com. Even though Hillary still leads nationally, the 3- day and 4-day tracking polls (respecively) show Obama picking upmost of his supporters. According to Gallup, Hillary's lead is now by only 3 points!!!! When 2 weeks ago, She was leading by close to 20 points!! He has all but cleaned up the gap in California, closing in to a 3 point margin. I guess Kennedy's endorsement did HELP!! I fully expect Edwards to endorse Obama, now that his support has gone majorly towards Obama!!!

See you next time Hillary. Go to Church and pray that Obama picks you as VP. AT leats you'll still be able to make History. Play nice and maybe... Just maybe he'll consider it.

February 1, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. Celine

time for change with Obama!

February 1, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. dc

I agree with Leron- and that is scarry if it goes that way. The minute all the HOOPLA with Oprah also joining list of supporters – turned me off. We can make up our own minds- Lose the supporters.

February 1, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. Muffy

I attended the Obama Rally in Phoenix two days ago, he is incredibly wonderful.He spoke eloquently for one hour, NO telepromters and he was magnificent. He is my hope for the future. I know so many Repubs that are voting for him. Hilary has way too much baggage in spite of her "35" years of experience.

Vote for Obama!!!

February 1, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. AJ

Has this organization ever accomplished anything? They are a do nothing organization supporting a do nothing candidate.

February 1, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. David

Obama
    Is a success story, he will prevail.

The boss!

Full speed ahead.

February 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. Jean

Re: AJ

Barry Obama the do nothing candidate? Well, he can talk and talk and talk about "change" seems good at that; after he doesn't get the nomination and finishes his senate term, he has a bright future at CNN, doing what he does best, talk and talk some more...

He's like the annoying high school student body president candidate who has been running for some office all 4 years (progressively higher, natch) and promises all kinds of changes, never mind how he will work with the principal/superintendent etc. to make real changes...

February 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. Allison

I thought in this country people made up their own minds based on facts not the media, Hmm the media how disgusting they have become in the way they have followed this election to play on the silly things that our not of any importance to our country. Lets get real here Bush had no experience and now look at the slow death we are all dying from we need to go back to before Bush was in office and try and rectify this entire mess our Country is in. Lets Go Hillary we can do this is we unite and together on the issues of Importance.

GO Hillary 08!!!!!

February 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  22. jill

First of all, why in world would I vote for someone who was elected by my state, who made promises to us and then did nothing but run for president. How is Obama a success story, it's not like he is from a poverish background or anything. He grew up in Hawaii traveled the world and attended good schools, so how is he a success? What actually has he done? The state of Illinois sure hasn't seen anything from him. I was an Edwards supporter so now I go for Hillary because I think Obama has some stinky stuff in his background that the republicans are just going to love exposing. GO HILLARY we need a junk yard dog to turn this country around

February 1, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. America America

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Leron February 1, 2008 2:27 pm ET

What I see when I look at their supporters tells me all I need to know.
    Hillary has an older base, who is not easily swayed by fanciful ramblings.
    ________________________________________________________________

Your erroneous, simplistic analysis is indicative of you Clintonites.

An overriding fact when we analyze the Democratic primary and caucus results is that educated voters (especially post-grads) are skewed heavily in favor of Sen Obama, whereas less educated voters tend to vote for Hillary.

No where was this disparity more evident than in Iowa, which is a college state and has the highest literacy rate in America.

February 1, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Tom

This is one edorsement that Obama doesn't need or want since the bias of Moveon.org is easily apparent. As it stands Obama has the chance to get Republican voters which is something Hillary has little chance of hoping for with her divisive personality.

February 1, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. 52 F

I'm no wide-eyed innocent, and I'm supporting Obama. As a MoveOn member, I was concerned about them endorsing a candidate, because of the far right's ability, in turn, to claim that whoever they endorse is being supported by such a "far left extremist group." I also like MoveOn's staying above the fray, endorsing common-sense solutions without overt partisanship.

But having slept on it overnight, and realizing the proven ability of the MoveOn base to mobilize its already organized base toward a Democratic victory, I conclude that nothing should stop them from putting that power behind the candidate who is clearly the choice of an overwhelming percentage of its members.

February 1, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |