February 1st, 2008

Oprah back on the trail

Oprah last campaigned for Obama in early December.
Oprah last campaigned for Obama in early December.

(CNN) - Talk-show host Oprah Winfrey is set to headline a Barack Obama event in Los Angeles Sunday, two days before Democrats in California and 21 other states head to the polls.

The event will mark Winfrey's return to the campaign trail two months after the media mogul stumped for the Illinois senator in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, drawing record-breaking crowds and heavy media coverage.

Obama's wife Michelle and Caroline Kennedy will also attend the event, though the Illinois senator himself is scheduled to be in Delaware that day.

– CNN's Chris Welch contributed to this report

1. veronica lynne

Oprah Winfrey again?? She is a national joke to many.
    Can Obama find a few more famous people to prop him up?
    Go Hillary!!

February 2, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. carol

Ginny – you are absolutely correct. Hype over substance! They continue to play the "intellect card".

I know that both of the Clinton's and myself are more educated than Oprah or Obama!

Hillary '08 and '12

February 2, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. charlotte

Claire McCaskill, doesn't she have a job she should be doing? She is by Obamas' side in just about every picture. Just curious.

February 2, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. This Is Great!!!!!!!!!!!

America loves Michelle. Add in Caroline Kennedy and Oprah Winfrey and it ought to be a rocking event. Let the California sun shine on this trio. I don't think endorsements change voters minds...they are just using their names to spread the word to undecided voters...but this won't change anyones mind.

The old Hillary hags aren't going to chance their vote because of this...that's for sure. They will follow her thru the gates of hell-a-ry because of what Bill did in the '90's or because they will vote for her as a woman. Period that's it. It sure won't be because she is charismatic. The shrieking she does when she tries to envigorate a crowd...the cackle when she laughs...good Lord that's annoying.

February 2, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  5. SMH

What do endorsements really mean? We in America are independent thinkers. We are capable of listening and researching the issues and the plans that each candidate has put forth to put this country back on track to greatness. I don not need Oprah or Caroline or Teddy to tell me how to think or vote in this upcoming election. Obama has a bright future in the Democratic Party but not now. For someone who is campaigning about tomorrow he sure is trying to use the past to get him there. As a democrat beware of republicans and some independents in democratic clothing in the open primary states that crossover, if you think that for one moment come November when the rubber meets the road they will vote democratic for Obama, I think not. I have researched each Democratic candidate thoroughly and their real contributions to making life better for Americans, Hillary hands down has the results and shear resolve to get things done. All voters I encourage to do the same do not be lulled to sleep by the hype and media bias. Be independent and think for yourselves.

February 2, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  6. Elizabeth

Yes, we can!

I think it is great! Oprah and Obama have long been friends. . .I don't think it is a "black" thing.

February 2, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. bob

OPRAH NEEDS TO STAY HOME

AND LET AMERICANS ELECT A PRESIDENT BASED ON THEIR ISSUES

SAD ITS BASED ON CELEBRITIES....AND OF ALL PEOPLE, SHE SHOULD

KNOW BETTER

OPRAH SHOWS HER TRUE COLORS

SO MUCH FOR WOMEN RIGHTS AND BEING THERE FOR WOMEN

February 2, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  8. Denise

Anyone with a clear understanding of our history must know you have to see the vision before you can be the vision. Bill and Hillary don't have a vision. They want more of the same and it's time for change. In the videos I've seen of Bill lately he's consuming way too many doughnuts. Perhaps a little more time in the gym and less time campaigning. As far as this event is concerned, Oprah, Michelle, and Caroline are speaking to address why they think Obama should be the next President of the United States. These are educated and real women who know what time it is.

February 2, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. Jon

If you not ready to cook stay out the kitchen. This presidential campaign is so exciting. I think it is going to boil down to the youth and women votes.
    Go Obama!

February 2, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Melissa

Bill's role in his wife's campaign was being criticized because some people, including me, thought it was inappropriate for a former president to go after a member of his own party, as well as spend more time talking about his own record rather than his wife's. Comparing Oprah or Michelle to Bill Clinton is just as silly as the belief that Obama is a Muslim solely because of his name. And Oprah has the right to support whoever she wants. I don't think it's right that she gets criticized for supporting a black candidate but it would be hunky dory if she supported the female candidate.

February 2, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. Rona Smith

This is not about race or gender for me; its about competence. I am a white woman Hillary's age but I strongly back Obama. Sure, it's terrific to have a woman running for president. But I would prefer it to be a woman not running on coat-tails. Many people are saying they feel comfortable with Bill behind Hillary in the White House. Is dredging up a President from the past a way to greet the future?

I think both Obama's and Hillary's platforms are so similar they could be printed with ditto marks. They're basically centrist Democrats and Bush has helped to define what that means. However, when campaign rhetoric dies down and real action needs to be taken I put my faith and hope in a brilliant candidate who doesn't look at the presidency with a sense of entitlement. Obama is an independent human being able to seek agreement across religious, racial, political and gender lines to bring unity to this country.

The concept of unity, not self-interest, has been in short supply and would remain so under the Clintons. Don't let the past be a harbinger of the future!

February 2, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. jo

Got a kick, out of kennedy's endorsing obama because he had ideas that were
    so much more like JFK, well I grew up loving the Kennedys but they are wrong the
    one more like Kennedy was Clinton. We did not get rid of him cause of his being a bad president he just got caught and JFK didnt.

February 2, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. veronica lynne

Oprah Winfrey again?? She is a national joke to many of us.
    Can Obama find a few more famous people to prop him up?
    Go Hillary!!!!

February 2, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  14. Anson Ang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Mr Obama

Call anyone where you can lay your hands on. Caroline Kennedy, Oprah Winfrey, John Kerry, even John Edwards. I believe John Edwards would be more pissed off with that old lady than you. You will win California and KICK THAT HILL-BILLY OUT FROM NEW YORK, ITS POSSIBLE!!! Just need to get all the right ingredients.

Good Luck & may God bless you.

Anson

February 2, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  15. Charlene, CA

Go Obama!

I am not an Oprah fan, but I am pleased that she is openly endorsing Barack. He is the only candidate in decades that inspires people, empowers people and embodies strength and conviction. He is not power-struck nor prideful...I feel that he humbly wants to lead our country because he loves our country.

I am very concerned with Hillary's credibility and effectiveness with countries that keep their women shrouded in cloth.

It is pretty sad that not one Democrat is pro-life, but I still voted for Barack (absentee ballot).

February 2, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. The Observer

Play the race card and you will lose Obama.

February 2, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. observer#1

Is Caroline their "token?" Good-bye Oprah.

February 2, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. Deb - IL

I appreciate Ginny's comments. My husband and I also resent how HIllary's supporters are depicted as not as educated as Mr. Obama's. We happen to work in law enforcement and education, and actually base our votes on educating ourselves on issues, not on who is popular with the media today. We also live in Illinois, and the only reason Mr. Obama became our Senator is because another candidate dropped out and he had a relatively easy election running against Alan Keyes. He promised Illinois citizens he would serve a full term, but after just 2 years he officially announced his Presidential bid. Obviously, we were just a useful stepping stone so I don't think I can take his word, nor Oprah's, on future promises. (Also, with all of the endorsements flowing in, don't many of those represent the special interests Mr. Obama seems so adamantly against and says he wants no part of?)

February 2, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. Andrea

Oh, good grief! Look at this situation: Oprah has all the money anyone could ever need. She doesn't care about anyone except herself. She needs to mind her business because none of this affects her, she has too much money. She forgot what it was like to be poor many years ago.

Good Luck Senator Clinton

February 2, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. Mark

I'd rather listen to a person, with intelligence give testimony concerning the accomplishments and ability to get things done in a substative way, such as the ex pres. Bill Clinton. Will Oprah be able to aquiesce the public when after a year or two you see that nothing has "changed" because Obama just doesn't have the exprerience and know how to get it done in our system yet? Will Oprah be able to explain when people get so dissallusioned with Obama's administration that they vote in a republican majority congress just exacerbating the issue. Let's not forget we have a Congress. Think about this when you go to the voting booth on Tuesday. HIllary has my vote. She has the credentials, and that is what it should be and only be about.

February 2, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. S.Devarajan

Dick Morris has has claimed on many an occasions that Clintons are in fact will do anything to win which includes playing the race card.
    For this reason alone Obama is going to win.His voters may not be pro Obama BUT certainly anti Clinton and anti everything.

February 2, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. Lincoln

If non-black support, which is keeping Obama in the election, is real, then the world has indeed changed.

For the American majority to be willing give up power is exemplary. I watch with hope, and amazement, as we countdown to next January, where I will do all I can to be at the ignaugural for the first black president.

Will affirmative action become real again, what about reparations, and the 40 acres, and a mule promise? It will not be chaos, well, maybe at first, but rappers say what they say because the world is unfair...what will they rap about now?

February 2, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. Get real

Ginny why come to this site if all you do is complain? Go check out Fox or start your own company. I am sick of whiners to this site. Stop coming here and pulling the "everyone who doesn't vote for Hillary is a woman hater". She is poor leader.

February 2, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  24. Roger

Barack Obama made the statement in campaigning the other day that he was more electable because Hillary Clinton supporter will vote for him in the general election if he becomes the Democratic nominee but that the Barack Obama supporter will not vote for Hillary Clinton if she is the Democratic nominee.

Well unless he retracts that statement immediately in this fast paced election, for this Hillary Clinton supporter who for party unity and so did not want more Bush Whitehouse years made that statement true is now here by giving notice that it is no longer true. If I do not hear not only a retraction of this statement and a encouragement by Barack Obama for his supporters to vote Democrat no matter who ends up getting the nod as the Democratic nominee I will be setting out this election if Obama wins the nominee! He went way to far! If he waits till the convention to get all unity mode it will be to late for me! Lets see if Barack Obama wins any better without the support of the Hillary Clinton supporter then Hillary would without the support of the Barack supporters!

February 2, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Damian

An't you guys tired of the politics of bickering and hatred? America needs character and substance and nothing else at this point. It's time to say no to the politics of war mongering and homeland security. This is a new dawn in American politics and only Barack Obama exudes that quality. America wake-up

February 2, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |