February 1st, 2008

Richardson to watch Super Bowl with Bill Clinton

Richardson served as Clinton's Energy Secretary and U.N. Ambassador.

Richardson served as Clinton's Energy Secretary and U.N. Ambassador.

(CNN) - CNN has learned that New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson will watch the Super Bowl this Sunday with former President Bill Clinton in Red River, New Mexico.

Despite the obvious implications for the much sought after endorsement of Richardson, a Hispanic who holds sway in the community, a top Democratic source describes this as "two old friends getting together, and not to be "construed as a coming endorsement."

Nonetheless, Richardson is not unaware of the power of that picture. The former president has been phoning Richardson “with regularity” since he dropped out of the Democratic presidential race.

Richardson spokesman Pahl Shipley said the office does not comment on the governor’s private schedule.

- CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Bill Richardson
  1. Joe G

Has anyone noticed that most Obama supporters are full of hate and rage?

The idea that Richardson is watching the big game with Bill Clinton is even too much.

February 1, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. observer

This is as helpfull as T.K.'s endorsment of Obama. In other words: nada

February 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Peoria

Richardson is probably Hillary's frontrunner for VP anyway.

February 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Jen, Boston MA

the leadership of the hispanic population in this country has historically been opportunistic and self-serving.

Rise up, latinos and latinas, and show your leaders what you're made of.

February 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. ChicoSez

I stood for Bill Richardson in the Iowa caucus, now I support Hillary. I wonder how many of the Obama supporters are actually Democrats, especially those who say they won't support the party if Hillary wins the nomination. The level of hate for Hillary in these comments makes me want to consider leaving the party myself if Obama wins. Should all the Clinton backers stay home if she loses?
    the reason Republicans hate and fear the Clintons is that Bill and Hillary are winners and the Republicans know that if Hillary runs, she wins.The idea that Obama will bring right wing republicans into the fold is simply naive. He can't even unite the Democratic party so how can he unite the country. Clinton/Richardson is a winning ticket for America. Obama in 2016.

February 1, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. observer

Two friends watching the Super Bowl together, so what! Vote for who you want and leave their friendship alone. I would gladly watch the Super Bowl with either of these guys!

February 1, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. shamsi

I always liked Richardson and have utomost respect for him, this would be a great help for Hillary, and hope to see Mr. Richardson in her cabinet.

February 1, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. This is Too Funny

Spineless. Kissing up for a VP position.

February 1, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. The Juice

"Most Obama supporters are full of hate and rage" – wow. A brilliant political statement: if Obama supporters respond angrily to such a ridiculous comment, they will only validate it. If they remain silent, they will tacitly validate it. Karl Rove, is that you?

February 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  10. george, CA

Strongly agree...

"February 1, 2008 3:44 pm ET

Has anyone noticed that most Obama supporters are full of hate and rage?

Is that what you get from an Obama speech?? Hate and rage?? I thought the man was uplifting and full of hope?"

February 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. Ron Cantrell

You know if Obama is so great at getting the republican s to go along with him, why hasn't he done in the senate. The republicans have beat our brains in ever since Obama was elected. Where is all the charisma? A good place to start would be on the telecom immunity matter. Go get em, O!

February 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. big mike

Hillary will not chose richardson for V.P. She has her eye on the N.J. Gov. Vilshake. If thats how you spell his name. She may say that she wants him for V.P. but just to get his endorsment. That why if she gets the nomination I will vote for Sen.Mc Cain even thou I'm a barack Obama volunteer

February 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. big mike

By the way I'm not a Dem. I'm a Independent

February 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. tomdavie

Others on here have posted about the HATE and rage Obama supporters have.

I noticed this a long time ago. Its like every unhappy person and radical in the united states has come out of the closet.

I already emailed Hillary telling her I am voting for Mc Cain if she loses the primary.

Im sure Obama supporters have told Obama the same thing. Therefore we saw the big LOVE IN last night on TV. They both fear that whomever wins the nomination will LOSE the election to Mc Cain out of spite.

My reasoning isnt spite. Its simple logic. I LIKE Senator Obama a lot. I think he will make a GREAT president one day.

But it is simply irresponsible to HYPE a candidate to death who has no experience on a National stage and put him in the white house.

It has NEVER been done in the history of the united states to the best of my knowledge. Yes. You NEED national experience to be president of the United states.

We are facing a very difficult future. VERY diffiucult.

Obama has NEVER ONCE made the case he can get the job done. He keeps making the case he can 'rally people' . There is no way i buy the fact Senator Obama can bring bi partisanship thru happy speeches. He needs EXPERIENCE.

Its not the way the senate and house work .Average people like you and me do NOT get a say in the senate. Putting it on C SPAN does nothing . We already HAVE it on Cspan.

So I have to be honest with myself, and I would RATHER have Senator Mc Cain run the country than Barack Obama.

If this was 2016 i would vote for Obama.

February 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. saeed

i agree with the statement

February 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. anita

Two Bills and all that hot air. I would rather watch it with Hillary

February 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. charlotte

There you are again John S. Like I said, you learned to cut and paste, no originality! Why do people do that, no matter the topic? I like to read the comments, but some have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Go Patriots

February 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Ray

Joe G, What I had actually noticed is Bill and Hillary Clinton and their supporters being full of hate. As a previous Edwards supporter, I'm glad to be switching to the Obama camp. Nice try though!

February 1, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. Alice, VA

If Richardson endorses Hillary, wouldn't he be the first member of Clinton's Administration to do so? Why aren't the Democratic Party establishment and former Clinton Administration Cabinet members flocking around Hillary? Do they know something we don't?

February 1, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Edwards supporter

I smell an endorsement.

February 1, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  21. Gil - California

Richardson proved himself to be a lying politician when he said he would stay in the race until Nevada....but then through some back room secret meetings, dropped out to help out Hillary.

Too bad Gov, I used to respect you but see you are just like all the rest.

February 1, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. Mary

Just to correct: someone says that the Bushes & Clintons have ruled the
    White House for 30 years – (?) Bush Sr. = 4, Clinton = 8, Bush Jr. =8. I think
    that math adds up to 20 yrs..........

February 1, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. dawn

If Barack doesn't win against Hillary, the ONLY way I would vote for her is if Obama is her running mate. Otherwise it is Mc Cain all the way.

February 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Dee

you're right amy – you don't send time with people you don't like
    clinton's/richardson friends for 20 yrs obama/rezko friends for 20 yrs
    which scandal do you want? think i'll take clinton \richardson sitting around watching a football game over obama's friendship.
    guess if we're to judge by who they pal around with it would go to hillary. after all – does kennedy's endorsement help him – no – too many people remember deep six teddy and the bay of pigs and marilyn monroe. endorsements don't mean anything. if union members aren't happy with their leadership does anyone really think they'll pick who their leaders are endorsing. the fact is obama stammered on several questions in the debate and hilary looked presidential. he took shots (uniter) and she smiled and responded in an appropriate manner. last time he bated her in and this time he failed to do that.
    in the end the DNC and Howard Dean will be pulling strings for who they want and if anyone believes otherwise then they're from the same village that lost their idiot – oh yea, they found him in DC on monday night!

February 1, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  25. SoccerMominCO

The 'hate and rage' you hear from Obama supporters ain't nothing compared to the 'Hate and Rage' you're gonna hear from the other side of the aisle in November.
    Better find a better way to diffuse it as many in this camp are ABC voters.

February 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |