February 1st, 2008

The Democrats' 'dream ticket'?

ALT TEXT

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama embrace after the CNN Democratic Debate Thursday (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) – Many Democrats call it a "dream ticket." Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton - in whichever order.

And after the civil affair at Thursday's debate, it seems like more of a possibility - at least, perhaps, more of a possibility than it was in the last several weeks when the two candidates were locked in a heated back-and-forth on the campaign trail.

But both Democrats artfully dodged the notion of running together in a general election when CNN’s Wolf Blitzer raised the possibility.

"Well, obviously there's a big difference between those two," Obama said to laughter regarding whether his name or the New York senator's is on top.

"But, look, let me say this," Obama continued. "I respect Sen. Clinton. I think her service to this country has been extraordinary. And I'm glad that we've been walking on this road together and that we are still on that road.We've got a lot more road to travel. And so I think it's premature for either of us to start speculating about Vice Presidents - I think it would be premature and presumptuous."

Clinton also would not say whether she thought it was a possibility.

"This has been an extraordinary campaign, and I think both of us have been overwhelmed by the response that we have engendered, the kind of enthusiasm and intensity that people feel about each of us," she said. "And so, clearly, we are both dedicated to doing the best we can to win the nomination, but there is no doubt we will have a unified Democratic Party."

Related: Watch Clinton and Obama discuss the potential of sharing the Democratic ticket

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. C. Marie

I would vote a clinton/obama ticket. But then again I would vote any ticket with Hillary Clinton on it.

January 31, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  2. Bill, NY

No, wouldnt work for Obama

January 31, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  3. BK

If Obama ends up as a Vice Presidential running mate to Clinton or he adds Clinton as his running mate I will vote for John McCain....period end of story.

January 31, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  4. Smart

I like my women on top!

Clinton/Obama '08

January 31, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  5. Adarrah for Obama

There will be no ticket of this sort! Obama will never select Hillary as the VP...she is tooo divisive.

OBAMA 08'

January 31, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  6. Melissa, New York, NY

I think Clinton would benefit more from having Obama as VP since he'd attract new supporters to the Clinton camp. If Obama won the nomination, it might not be the wisest decision to choose Clinton as his VP, just because it could potentially turn away more voters than attract.

January 31, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  7. James

Obama/Clinton would be a fine ticket.

Except keeping Bill under control would be hard.

They'd essentially have two VPs lurking around the White House. Bill can't control himself .... and you can bet the RNC will bring this up in November

January 31, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  8. carrie

Hello? why did cnn waste precious airtime to ask such a ridiculous question? Do you think they are even thinking Number 2? They are getting no sleep and working they're tale off to make it. This is Cnn's dreamticket. I cant remember who said it but there's afamous comment that if you want to get rid of someone in ur way make them vice president. Yeah cnn, they are jumping, "stand-in, stand-in yes me i'll take it!" Ask a critical question, instead of make the debate humorous.

January 31, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  9. OBAMA4EVER

he's amazingly hot!

January 31, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  10. ethan

If this was a Democratic vs Republican debate it would gather a lot of attention about the methedology of the debate. Everyone knows...Healthcare is what polls well for Senator Clinton. Iraq polls well for Senator Obama. Notice how CNN steered this debate (practically the first 35 minutes) towards healthcare. Blitzer also seemed to be setting up Obama several times–and baiting Clinton only a few. How strange and unfortunate CNN start with a more neutral issue first.

January 31, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  11. stephanie

Clinton-Obama is the ideal dream ticket..and the one that makes the most realistic sense.. Clinton has the experience and alliances around the world, Obama has the ability to mobilize new voters, Obama would gain valauable and necessary experience after 8 years as VP..and ready to lead the nation in 8 years (at 55!! y.o) ..which would give the Dems a 16 year stint in power...now that's inspiring!! Hillary will be a great WOMAN presdient, advancing the status of women around the world, changing the tone of the conversation. No more cowboy politics and good old boy business as usual. CLINTON-OBAMA THE WINNING AND SMART DREAM TICKET!!

January 31, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  12. Voter from Anderson, SC

I would love to see Clinton and Obama on the same ticket, but only if it's a CLINTON-OBAMA ticket!!! I think he would make a wonderful Vice President.

January 31, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  13. nazirmo

It is easy for Obama to say that he did not vote for the war. When Bush the commander in chief stated his case to go to war he was supported then by
    Powell and others in his administration and one needs to give the benefit of the doubt to the commander and chief and support him as Hillary did.
    The reality is that as a major super power United States of America is under
    threat from many Islamic nations especially Iran and others. No matter who becomes the President , wars are not gonna stop. US will still be involved for better or for worse. So to think that if Obama becomes the next President and magically wars will cease is in Bill Clinton's words a fairy tale.
    I thought that Hillary spoke well on issues and frankly did quite well but judging by the poll no matter how well Hillary does people just will put her down.
    I think that people need to look at who can best resolve issues on economy and health care and then foreign policy etc. and Hillary I feel certainly is the best
    candidate in my opinion to deliver as did Bill Clinton under his Presidency.
    The best line in the debate came from Hillary when she said that it took one Clinton to clean up the mess created by the first Bush and it needs another Clinton to clean up the mess that will be left behind by the second Bush.

January 31, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  14. Ellery Standroff, IL

Would love that so much!!!
    But I have to say I would prefer a Clinton/Obama, because:
    Clinton has more experience and the extraordinary depth on issues (as we saw in tonight's debate). Obama lacks experience and so would be a good vice president.
    Obama would be more qualified with experience as vice president to run for the ultimate job of president in 8 yrs from now.
    Obama is still young. Only 46. He has time to gain some valuable experience and run for the presidency in 8 yrs from now. And by god, no one stop him them.
    Now can we have Hillary, please?

January 31, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  15. joe

I would vote Clinton/Obama only.

HILLARY CLINTON 2008.

January 31, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  16. CA Voter

Yes, I agree!!!!! Hillary will make a great VP!

OBAMA 08'

January 31, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  17. clb-NY

I'll vote for Obama UNLESS Hillary is part of any ticket. She is a loser for the Democrats. Even if she is the VP .... I vote Republican.

January 31, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  18. Sylvia

after the debate, CNN showed how biased they were by having one of their own "answer" for Obama. He made it a point to say how Obama was cheated out of a response from Hillary's response to the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton dynasty. If Obama "could have responded" this is what his camp said he would have said. He then gave a 3 minute bit by bit response for Obama. WHEN HAS CNN EVER DEFENDED HILLARY in that way.
    CNN you make me sick!!!!
    I am going back to FoxNews....only watched CNN for the debate because I had to!!!

January 31, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  19. Natalie

This "dream ticket" is the biggest bunch of hog wash coming out of this election. The "pleasantries" between Barack and Hillary were so fake I thought they were going to make out at any giving moment right then and there. Give me a break...

January 31, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  20. sharon

If Hilary was President for four years, then Obama could then run for President and be President for eight years that would be a strong chance for the Democrates to be in control of the country for twelve years.

January 31, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  21. Jack2

Hillary was OUTSTANDING! obama should wise up and hope she will ask him to be on her cabinet. Seeing them togther... Its obvious.. .she will be the next President of the United States!

January 31, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. Elizabeth in Dallas

Best debate so far; however, let us please allow Anderson Cooper to moderate next time. Wolf is terrible and tries to instigate way too much on both sides. Just kind of annoying.

January 31, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  23. Celion

No chance, Obama dont let her ride your coattail

January 31, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  24. Ronnie...Charlottesville, Va

I was hoping Uncle Teddy would take Barack for a ride in his car.
    However, if they never cross that bridge....I suppose I could deal with
    Vice President Obama.