February 1st, 2008

The Democrats' 'dream ticket'?

ALT TEXT

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama embrace after the CNN Democratic Debate Thursday (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) – Many Democrats call it a "dream ticket." Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton - in whichever order.

And after the civil affair at Thursday's debate, it seems like more of a possibility - at least, perhaps, more of a possibility than it was in the last several weeks when the two candidates were locked in a heated back-and-forth on the campaign trail.

But both Democrats artfully dodged the notion of running together in a general election when CNN’s Wolf Blitzer raised the possibility.

"Well, obviously there's a big difference between those two," Obama said to laughter regarding whether his name or the New York senator's is on top.

"But, look, let me say this," Obama continued. "I respect Sen. Clinton. I think her service to this country has been extraordinary. And I'm glad that we've been walking on this road together and that we are still on that road.We've got a lot more road to travel. And so I think it's premature for either of us to start speculating about Vice Presidents - I think it would be premature and presumptuous."

Clinton also would not say whether she thought it was a possibility.

"This has been an extraordinary campaign, and I think both of us have been overwhelmed by the response that we have engendered, the kind of enthusiasm and intensity that people feel about each of us," she said. "And so, clearly, we are both dedicated to doing the best we can to win the nomination, but there is no doubt we will have a unified Democratic Party."

Related: Watch Clinton and Obama discuss the potential of sharing the Democratic ticket

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Jo Ann

Impossible. They both have very controlling and strong personalities; neither one would be able to take a back seat to the other.

January 31, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. Angie

If Clinton wins the nomination, she needs Obama on the ticket because she and Bill are so polarizing that they have angered the very Democrats that they need to win. If Obama wins the nomination, Clinton is the very last person that he needs on the ticket. She would only drag him down because she infuriates the Republicans. Also, if Obama chose her as VP, he would have to deal with Bill undermining his Presidency.

January 31, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  3. alfredo jimenez

CLINTON/OBAMA WOULD BE GREAT OR CLINTON/EDWARDS OR CLINTON/RICHARDSON

ANYTHING THAT HAS CLINTON AS PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  4. Educated American

Sen Obama and anyone would be a dream ticket ! The man is brilliant and eloquent with sound judgement and his leadership credentials are second to none.

January 31, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  5. leela

Hillary will make a decent VICE PRESIDENT.

January 31, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  6. Ginger Barnett

It is more like a nightmare than a dream team!

January 31, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. San Francisco

Ain't gonna happen. NEVER. The kids played well tonight but anybody who's fooled into thinking they like each other is indeed a fool.

January 31, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. s.positive

From tonight, Obama does not need Clinton just a the future is far from the past...

January 31, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Daniel

Obama & Richardson the perfect team to run our country. The Peace Makers!

January 31, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  10. brad

Dont be haters, a democrat is a democrat. unless you are a bush lover/ mccain... they are the same person... guess you dont want change... i do and will take it with both of these brains who support us, the people.. thanks

January 31, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  11. Rachel - CA

Great words tonight from Mr. Obama – I hope he takes this all the way to win the nomination this summer!

January 31, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  12. s.positive

If the Democrates want the white house, they must trust the future and leave the past behind...

January 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  13. g

This will be the 1st time I don't vote in a presidential election. No candidate on either side truly represents the average American. I used to vote for the Democrat as the 'lesser of the evils", but after this year's Immigration Bill that comes to an end. No matter what, there will be some level of improvement in foreign relations... there would have to be.

January 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  14. Educated American

OBAMA4EVER January 31, 2008 11:12 pm ET

he's amazingly hot!
    ________________________________________________________________

I most definitely concur.

DG

January 31, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  15. John, Dallas, Tx

I would *love* to see a Clinton / Obama ticket. Hillary for 8 years, then Barack for 8 years = at least 16 years of Democratic leadership!

January 31, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  16. nick

obama would not choose clinton as a vp because she is to polarized and his message is about bringing people together for real change.

January 31, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  17. What's with Wolf?

Good debate, CNN did a good job. But Wolf stepped out of line on several occasions and tried to become part of the story. We know CNN is liberal oriented, but he was unprofessional tonight in trying to "produce" a "sparks flying" story. That insults the candidates, CNN, Ted T., and most of all, the viewers. Lose the drama and stop trying to make these things "more interesting" This is not a "scoop!" This is the state of your country and what we as a nation are going to do and it's not something that is designed to generate ratings. Shameful.

January 31, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  18. ANNETTE

Hillary, I Love You and Support you 200%. Be strong.

January 31, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  19. desiree

Hilary won the debate tonight due to her personality coming out. I've always liked her and over and over again she proves how clear she is on all issues and shows us that the reality of the future is near. WE will have hard times because she will have to clean up after Bush. I think what should happen is Hilary foe the next eight years,Give Obama some experience on foreign policy and then possilbly vote him in then .I really dont think that he is ready I feel she is.

January 31, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  20. BLS in WA

Clinton/Obama is the best way to go re experience, age, the prospect of extending the Dems in the White House for two full terms for each. :)

As for the comment about Wolf Blitzer trying to instigate problems between the candidates, I agree 100%. Unfortunately, so does Tim Russert and Anderson Cooper. I'm pretty fed up with most journalists these days. They seem to think if they can't create a controversy they won't have any news.

Many of them are also terribly arrogant. I'm a regular listener of progressive talk radio but I've stopped listening to Ed Schultz because he's so caught up in his own ideas and opinions, he's no longer presenting a balanced commentary about the candidates. I think his tv appearances have gone to his head.

January 31, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  21. America America

Celion January 31, 2008 11:20 pm ET

No chance, Obama dont let her ride your coattail _______________________________________________________________

I think that Hillary had ridden enough coattails to last a lifetime.

January 31, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  22. Ann Kuminns

No it would not work, with Bill in the background. If Hillary won, he would be the de facto president, regardless of what Hillary says. Obama will not fit in this scenerio. Even if he is the nominee, it may work to a certain extent, but I can still see Bill playing the part of Cheney in Bush/Cheney. Obama and Hillary by themselves would be a great team, but with Bill in the mix, it would definitely not work. Besides, many of his supporters, looking for a fresh start would be totally disappointed with the deja vu again. So where does this leave us??

January 31, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  23. Anonymous

HILL look so comfortable and so presidential tonight. There is still too much OBAMA need to learn. OBAMA is just like a high school kid who think he can do anything, but later in life found out that it was just a dream.

HILL 2008!

January 31, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  24. Dave

I watched the debate earnestly and with great interest. Perhaps I am in the minority, however I am concerned about issues! I do not recall hearing Hillary answer the questions she was asked!!! She appeared to dodge the questions ...... all of them! Bill speak if you will! That it the general consensus of the people with whom I viewed the event! And one of them a staunch Hillary supporter who truly believes Hillary dropped the ball and bombed immensely!

January 31, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. Jeff, Denver, CO

Obama is too young – he'll wait her out and still be 20 years younger than McCain! For all the Hillary fans–I like her, I really do, but Obama is less divisive and more innovative for the mess we have in Wash DC. I want Obama to win, but I will vote for Hillary in the event she might win the nod. I just love the fact that the election is the most important thing in so many lives of the American people right now...more so than American Idol and the Super Bowl. People really are concerned about whats happening in this country – thats somehting to be proud of. Vote Obama! Worry about VP later!

January 31, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |