February 1st, 2008

The Democrats' 'dream ticket'?

ALT TEXT

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama embrace after the CNN Democratic Debate Thursday (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) – Many Democrats call it a "dream ticket." Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton - in whichever order.

And after the civil affair at Thursday's debate, it seems like more of a possibility - at least, perhaps, more of a possibility than it was in the last several weeks when the two candidates were locked in a heated back-and-forth on the campaign trail.

But both Democrats artfully dodged the notion of running together in a general election when CNN’s Wolf Blitzer raised the possibility.

"Well, obviously there's a big difference between those two," Obama said to laughter regarding whether his name or the New York senator's is on top.

"But, look, let me say this," Obama continued. "I respect Sen. Clinton. I think her service to this country has been extraordinary. And I'm glad that we've been walking on this road together and that we are still on that road.We've got a lot more road to travel. And so I think it's premature for either of us to start speculating about Vice Presidents - I think it would be premature and presumptuous."

Clinton also would not say whether she thought it was a possibility.

"This has been an extraordinary campaign, and I think both of us have been overwhelmed by the response that we have engendered, the kind of enthusiasm and intensity that people feel about each of us," she said. "And so, clearly, we are both dedicated to doing the best we can to win the nomination, but there is no doubt we will have a unified Democratic Party."

Related: Watch Clinton and Obama discuss the potential of sharing the Democratic ticket

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. DW

Sorry i could never support a Obama/Hillary ticket or visa versa..
    If its got her name anywere in it im out! and will suck it up and vote republican again..
    This isnt even an option for me or my family.
    However
    Obama/Edwards and Ill send $$$ til Im broke ..

Great job Obama

January 31, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  2. Lorrilee

trying on this topic too – Hillary is the best choice for now for USA. Obam might be a good looking guy, with charisma, but that is not what America needs now.
    I have to agree with Sylvia – CNN has been against Hillary from the beggining, and another thing that i just don't get it – why suddenly Bill Clinton is the worst nightmare of american people?!...is Bush the fairytale?

And someone else was saying that Obama has more chances in international politic...are you kidding me?! Then i should run for presidency also. I am not american, so that make me expert in politics?!

Wake up americans and see who is around you and who is the best to get you out of this mess. Cause it is sooooooo about time ...

January 31, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. Jason

HILLARY look so presidential in the debate tonight make OBAMA look so inexperienced. Just like a high school kid who think he know and better then any one else, and later in life found out that how stupid he is.

HILLARY 2008!

January 31, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  4. Dorian, Ca

I don't think Hillary would be interested in being Vice President. If she should not win the nomination, I'll bet she would prefer to continue her work in the Senate. I hope she'll never have to make that decision.
    Go Hillary!

January 31, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  5. Logan, Huntington, West Virginia

any Democrat/any Democrat is the winning ticket.

January 31, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  6. Leah DiMarco, TX

Senator Obama looked very presidential ... and Hillary looked like she should be at home baking cookies!

January 31, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  7. no way

Obama/ Edwards 08!!!!!!

please do not let her come with you. that would ruin it for me.

January 31, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  8. Ralph

A clinton presidency would only be possible with obama as vp...the reverse is however not the case.i mean obama doesn't need hilary to win the presidency..

January 31, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  9. DD

Clinton-Obama ticket 2008

January 31, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  10. Matthew

Hillary on a ticket and I won't vote period. That's no choice at all. You might as well vote for Nixon.

January 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  11. Nicholas N

A Hillary/Obama ticket woould be best for the party. With each of their strenghts, they could unite the Democratic Party. If all went well the democrats would have the white house for the next 16 years ...mentioning Obama would be there as President in 2016

January 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. Mrs. America

I know this isn't it because I saw the debate, but-one could wonder if Barack is checking out Hillary's dancing abilities. Hehe.

January 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  13. Paul in Kissimmee

They could never run on the same ticket together. There has been too many blows by each side. Everybody would know that it would be for nothing but star power. Americans should get the best judgement and leadership, not just a photographic moment. Besides, after all that has happened, how could they compliment each other?

January 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  14. Karin

Go Hilary and good luck :)

January 31, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  15. carrie

lorrilee – u took the words right out of my mouth!!!! go on girl!!!! woo woo!!!

January 31, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  16. d4obama

I agree with Celion......Obama is what this country needs. And Hillary could only bring him down if he let her join his ticket. Obama/Edwards? A PERFECT COMBINATION.

January 31, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  17. Alyssa

Are you people stupid?

Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton may be sort of alike on issues, with the huge exception being judgment on the Iraq mess, but they are fundamentally different in an area which should count 10000000000+ times – INTEGRITY.

There is a movement behind Obama of Americans who want to move forward, can't you people see it? There is a call to go back to the 90s in terms of supporting Hillary Clinton.

You can't seriously want to vote for Clinton this election and then vote for Obama the next election just to make sure your stupid policies are in place or to bring down the Republican party. Why is this an election based on revenge? Everyone was affected by George Bush's awful ineptitude! And Barack Obama is tapping all those people to build a whole new American chapter.

January 31, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  18. David

After watching this debate, it made me feel good to be a Democrat.

There is a clear choice between Obama/Clinton vs McCain...Democrat all the way!

Although I support Hillary, I think with the dream ticket....they would be unstopable. Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton would produce perhaps 16 yrs of Democratic rule!

January 31, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  19. Ace

Two Focal Points: 1) who can beat McCain; and 2) who can unite country? OBAMA appears to be the only viable candidate. Clinton vs McCain on iraq war would be a nightmare for democrats. The more I watch of Hillary the more I'm convinced she cannot unite anyone who doesn't agree with her position. Sound familiar? Yes we just had 8 years of that attitude. Democrats this is your chance to capture the white house. Obama is the one!

January 31, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  20. Mel

Personally I think a combo ticket would be terrible. While Hillary would give him the credibility and experience so many people are looking for, she is also the Big Politics he's running so strongly against. She's "Democrats Beat the Republicans," he's "Everybody Wins." I don't really feel like they compliment each other very well because their ideologies clash, and as I watched the debate I feel like they both slunk away from the idea for that very reason.

January 31, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  21. willis

Blitzer seems to be bias so as CNN towards Obama...because the questions that ask of him they don't necessarily ask of Hillary. He would take 3 to 4 minutes to allow Hillary to answer the question....will allow Obama 60 seconds to response...
    On Anderson Cooper should have had his job....

January 31, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  22. Jose Card - Independent

Obama will not get posted in a full-sized photo unless he is with Hillary.
    Even Bill gets posted with a full size photo.
    This is way too obvious.

CNN, is Bill more important than Obama in this campaign?

January 31, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  23. christina hahn

hillary obama ,obama hillary, the next dream team.THAT WOULD WIN COME NOVEMBER.

January 31, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  24. Ray

Obama would do OK as Hillarys VP.

January 31, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  25. THINK!

While i totally agree that Hillary is hands down the best candidate on the issues in either party I will be voting for Barack Obama on Tuesday and here's why. We as a country CANNOT afford more gridlock in Washington while the Democrats and Republicans throw rocks at each other. Anyone who supports Hillary has to recognize she is an extremely polarizing figure between the Republicans and Democrats and there is alot of hate there from the republicans. Just having the best ideas is useless if you can't get everyone to work together to make it work and history shows the republicans will NOT work with her. Barack on the other hand has the same ideas and the ability to play nice with others that she does not. It is important that Washington actually DOES SOMETHING the next four years so I'm voting for someone who can draw people together.

Obama '08!