February 1st, 2008

The Democrats' 'dream ticket'?

ALT TEXT

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama embrace after the CNN Democratic Debate Thursday (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) – Many Democrats call it a "dream ticket." Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton - in whichever order.

And after the civil affair at Thursday's debate, it seems like more of a possibility - at least, perhaps, more of a possibility than it was in the last several weeks when the two candidates were locked in a heated back-and-forth on the campaign trail.

But both Democrats artfully dodged the notion of running together in a general election when CNN’s Wolf Blitzer raised the possibility.

"Well, obviously there's a big difference between those two," Obama said to laughter regarding whether his name or the New York senator's is on top.

"But, look, let me say this," Obama continued. "I respect Sen. Clinton. I think her service to this country has been extraordinary. And I'm glad that we've been walking on this road together and that we are still on that road.We've got a lot more road to travel. And so I think it's premature for either of us to start speculating about Vice Presidents - I think it would be premature and presumptuous."

Clinton also would not say whether she thought it was a possibility.

"This has been an extraordinary campaign, and I think both of us have been overwhelmed by the response that we have engendered, the kind of enthusiasm and intensity that people feel about each of us," she said. "And so, clearly, we are both dedicated to doing the best we can to win the nomination, but there is no doubt we will have a unified Democratic Party."

Related: Watch Clinton and Obama discuss the potential of sharing the Democratic ticket

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. mike, Columbus ohio

Could somebody please give me the qualifications for either of these two, nitwits?

February 1, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  2. michael e stanford

For all the people who long for the past clinton years to return i only have these few beloved and often spoken words for you "YOU CAN NEVER GO HOME AGAIN" . emerson Obama 08 (ps i hope cnn prints this cause it sure seems they dont print any thing i write in here)

February 1, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  3. Carrie

Obama is to talented and special to be second best. The Clintons have a record of ruining people. If Obama was her VP, it would ruin his chances of ever becoming President. Also, I would lose respect for him if he did.

Obama 08

February 1, 2008 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  4. rick IL

This was what a debate should be. If you are a democrat what a wonderful dilema to have. Its a shame one of these two is not going to be the nominee. Either one could make history in November and I already feel for the one who doesnt get there.

February 1, 2008 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  5. Ifeanyi in Nigeria

Clinton-Obama? Yes.
    Obama-Clinton? No.

Clinton needs what Obama's got to beef up her challenge for the presidency.
    Obama loses what he's got with Clinton's baggage. More people will just vote McCain who'll emerge the Republican nominee.

February 1, 2008 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  6. Andrew

Isn't it kind of sexist to find fault with Hilary bringing Bill along as a husband, as if he might control her because she is of a weaker sex or something? No one has problems with Obama's wife coming in, and yes I know Bill was the president earlier, and she wasn't

February 1, 2008 05:06 am at 5:06 am |
  7. Kimberly

Great job Barack, you have my vote! You are so ready!

BTW, CNN's Wolf Blitzer should have done a better job of making sure that both candidates had equal time...Hilliary spoke and spoke and spoke. She was so rehearsed and so please no more Clinton's.

Hillary is more of the same.

We need a change...Obama '08!

February 1, 2008 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  8. Dan S CO.

Hillary/Obama would win. Obama/Hillary would not work. He's not ready for president he's not qualified enough yet. You can just listen to what he says and see he's not ready. Hillary has been there done that and knows exactly what needs to be done. Don't let your wanting change so bad, because of 7+ years of George Bush cloud you mind. It's not even close. Barrack is not ready for president. A Hillary/Obama ticket would give her the extra votes she needs and a new perspective. And it gives barrack experience for when it is his turn to be president.

February 1, 2008 05:24 am at 5:24 am |
  9. Kate

With the mess Bush is leaving the next President, I feel Hillary will be able to deal with the mess and the "smoky room" tactics that will face any Democratic candidate for President before the November elections. I would love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket. Obama will become seasoned over the next 8 years and be able to run strongly for himself then. He will be more experienced in the "Belt Way" machine. Then after being Vice President for 8 years and being stronger both economically, and re-establishing America as a prosperous and peaceful nation, Obama will hands down be able to run a winning campaign.

February 1, 2008 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  10. Katherine

I'd prefer a Clinton/Gore ticket myself.

February 1, 2008 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  11. Ready

This would be a great ticket. If Clinton wins and doesn't take Barack as her running mate she will surely lose the black vote hands down and we will have another 4 years of pure hell!

February 1, 2008 05:51 am at 5:51 am |
  12. treigh

Two birds of different feathers

February 1, 2008 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  13. Kristin

Based on some of the comments in here, it is evident that America has been "dumbed down" and we can all thank George W. Bush & Company for that. I think a ticket with both candidates on it would be wonderful. I think both candidates kicked butt in this particular debate. I say all of this as a strong Edwards supporter who now faces a tough decision on February 5th. As for Wolf Blitzer and the many other media talking heads/pundits, I would love to drag them all off the stage with a cane to make way for REAL Americans asking REAL questions.

February 1, 2008 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  14. AJ; Montpelier

I'm glad I watched the debate last night. It reminded me why some people like Obama. The problem, he still didnt show any substance.
    And BK – with that kind of attitude I think you should vote for McCain. You sound just like another hate filled republican with your wrath directed at Hillary. We dont need simpletons like you in our party!

February 1, 2008 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  15. Kris

Definitely a Clinton/Obama ticket! I agree Clinton/Gore even better.

Obama has to gain the world stage experience he seriously lacks. He's still wet behind the ears. It is Obama's lack of experience particularly on foreign policy that scares me. Community organization in this culture does not a foreign policy expert make.

When he earns his stripes, I'll definitely vote Obama in some future year but not today. If Obama wins the nomination, I'll cross over to McCain just for his experience.

February 1, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  16. Right on Day1

I think either candidate would make a good president.

But I think a lot of people are fooling themselves that Hillary has a chance at beating John McCain.

That was evident last night.

And we will not get the Clinton years back, if she can't win the general election.

People who don't like Hillary, hate her (& Bill). The independent vote will disappear with the moderate Republicans unless Obama is the candidate.

At the end of the day, that's what's important.

February 1, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Matt

The dream team, as far as what is now possible is:

President: Barack Obama
    Vice President: Dick Gephardt, Joe Biden, or Chris Dodd (experience needed!)
    Secretary of State: Bill Richardson (he would be perfect)
    Attorney General: John Edwards (another perfect choice)
    Secretary of Defense: Wesley Clark
    Education Secretary: Hillary Clinton

Will it all happen? Doubtful, but some of it just might.

February 1, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  18. Anonymous

If Obama wins the nomination, I guess it would be better for him to get John Edwards as VP so that he gets a huge chunk of the white votes & get a landslide victory

February 1, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  19. Attacks by the Establishment on Ron Paul Continue

Obviously Kristin is not old enough to know how the education got to be as bad as it is!
    Congressman Paul has never voted to raise taxes.
    Congressman Paul has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    Congressman Paul has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    Congressman Paul has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    Congressman Paul has never taken a government-paid junket.
    Congressman Paul supported Ronald Reagan against Gerald Ford in 1976.

In 1978 and subsequent elections, Ronald Reagan endorsed Ron Paul and supported his reelection to Congress.

###

February 1, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Ken B.

Imagine it: Wolf Blitzer booed at the debate! How appropriate. When will Wolf stop trying to make the news into something good for reporting and just report what's going on? When will Cafferty stop beating around the bush and endorse Obama (you know you want to)? When will you hypocrits go back to being journalists?

February 1, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. Chris Troy

Please. It's a nightmare ticket. Neither one of these two clowns will beat the Republican, no matter who that is. There is NO WAY middle America is going to elect either one of these two. I weep for the Democratic Party. They didn't learn with Gore, they didn't learn with Kerry. You can't put a fool on your ticket and take the White House. Looks like the Crypt Keeper McCain is going to be president.

February 1, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. IT1_USN

I support Obama anyway. But I'd be willing to vote for Clinton if Obama was on the ticket. Either way works for me as long as Obama is in there somewhere.

February 1, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  23. Anonymous

I think either a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket would be great. They both did very well in the debate last night. They seem to have a lot in common, including fervent motivation, so why not have them work together to help America?

February 1, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  24. Cindy

Thanks for a great Democratic debate last night, CNN! Barak did a much better job of giving details about his thinking on a variety of issues, now convincing me that he could handle the job of president (or vice president). My first choice remains HIllary, but I would be happy to see Barak involved in her adminstration. Both of these Democratic candidates beat any of the Republicans running.

February 1, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  25. Ann Cunningham

Wolf Blitzer was out of line when he redirected ( in question form at the dabate Jan. 31st) to Clinton that she was "naive" about voting to go to war. He should have stuck to his job as moderator and to questions..... he acted like a sexist, because he never would have used the term "naive" to a male candidate.

February 1, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |