February 1st, 2008

The Democrats' 'dream ticket'?

ALT TEXT

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama embrace after the CNN Democratic Debate Thursday (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) – Many Democrats call it a "dream ticket." Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton - in whichever order.

And after the civil affair at Thursday's debate, it seems like more of a possibility - at least, perhaps, more of a possibility than it was in the last several weeks when the two candidates were locked in a heated back-and-forth on the campaign trail.

But both Democrats artfully dodged the notion of running together in a general election when CNN’s Wolf Blitzer raised the possibility.

"Well, obviously there's a big difference between those two," Obama said to laughter regarding whether his name or the New York senator's is on top.

"But, look, let me say this," Obama continued. "I respect Sen. Clinton. I think her service to this country has been extraordinary. And I'm glad that we've been walking on this road together and that we are still on that road.We've got a lot more road to travel. And so I think it's premature for either of us to start speculating about Vice Presidents - I think it would be premature and presumptuous."

Clinton also would not say whether she thought it was a possibility.

"This has been an extraordinary campaign, and I think both of us have been overwhelmed by the response that we have engendered, the kind of enthusiasm and intensity that people feel about each of us," she said. "And so, clearly, we are both dedicated to doing the best we can to win the nomination, but there is no doubt we will have a unified Democratic Party."

Related: Watch Clinton and Obama discuss the potential of sharing the Democratic ticket

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Rueben from California

I think Obama's ability to draw thousands into the election season this early means he's onto something. Clinton's vote on the war is extremely telling. Her vote was less about the war or information she had at the time, but about her integrity when faced with a major political decision. She voted for the war because politically she felt she had to. that's it.

Regarding a dream ticket...if Clinton is the nominee, it would go against all political conventional wisdom, and history, for her to pick a big city, liberal democrat like Obama. BUT it would show change and a boldness that i think she needs. I would go all out, work for, enlist volunteers, call friends – the whole nine yards – for either version of the dream ticket. That would represent change, boldness, courage, the future...

That ticket woul heal the democratic party, and it would go a long way towards healing the nation's racial and gender divides. Now that's making history.

February 1, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. Newshound

It sounds good, may even look good, but it will never work because of Bill Clinton in or some where in background, foreground. If she is the president she would more than likley be asked to resign or be impeached because of him (Bill).

February 1, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. suzy

HILLARY ROCKED that debate last night!!!!
    OBAMA DID A GOOD JOB AS WELL.
    But for me, it was evident who really does have more experience.
    Hillary was so strong last night.
    Obama seemed to falter – don't get me wrong, he has the charisma and the voice that draws so many people. This election is about the issues for our country, and for me Hillary greatly outshined. On some issues Obama seemed to lose himself.
    Hillary was to the point, confident, intelligent, displayed more knowledge of international affairs and connections, her detailed solutions for our country hit home with me more than his did, given the similarities.
    I was so proud of Hillary and feel proud to say that she is my choice for the next President of the United States.
    For me is was the sight and sound of near perfection as one of the strongest women in this country.
    i hope that everyone gets the opportunity to see this debate IN FULL.
    You know the media will clip it apart. It was an awesome debate.
    And yes it was quite a moment at the end when you saw them both together.
    I see a Clinton-Obama ticket for the next 8 years, and then Obama for the following. I don't dislike him, but he needs more time. She is ready now.
    HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be proud of yourself!!!!!!!!!!!
    I told myself last night after the debate that regardless of who wins, she is first in my book, and I know in my heart and mind she is the best choice – win or lose, she wins anyway with me.
    GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CLINTON/OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. bob

THE SMART THING FOR THE DEMOCRATS TO DO IS: TO ELECT HILLARY
    CLINTON PRESIDENT IN 2008 WITH OBAMA AS VICE PRESIDENT AND
    IN EIGHT YEARS ELECT OBAMA PRESIDENT.

February 1, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. Woz - Los Gatos, CA

No way, no how.

Her ego is too big to be a number 2 yet again (first to Bill, next to Barack).

His future is too bright to allow himself to be seen as having "sold out" to the old guard.

February 1, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. BB

I can see Clinton/Obama, but there will never be a Obama/Clinton ticket.

February 1, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. Tim

Hillary has already been Vice President once. I don't think she'd settle for it this time around.

February 1, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  8. John B

why not have a dual presidency???

all VP's like Cheney do anyways is sit and quarterback and take no official position besides stepping in during emergencies. I would like to see a VP be as influential as a President in a representation sense......Cheney has done nothing to justify our aggression in the past 7 years. maybe having an active an outspoken VP will re-establish our credibility....i'd like to see both Obama and Clinton involved....it would be a pretty tough dual threat to beat.....

February 1, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  9. Mark Miles

Gee, what a surprise. As if this wasn't the most predictable thing in the world.

Clinton says to Obama, "Join us or be relegated to the dustbin of history".

What choice does he have?

The illusion of change wrapped up in a female/African American ticket.
    It's a win/win-–for the corporations, the defense contractors, and the global elite, of course.

Sometimes this game is so predictable it's boring.

February 1, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Kiki

Barack has my vote all the way!! But, let's face facts...Hillary wouldn't pick Obama as the V.P. if she got the nomination, she'll pick Bill Clinton.

Let's keep the Clintons OUT of the oval office!

Obama 08!!!!!!!!!

February 1, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  11. Peace

I can see Democrats are having day dreams and they are going to mess up as they did in 2004.

They are not asking themselves why the lost in 2004 and how they could reverse it this time.

For your information no Republican will allow the Clinton to take the White House again. So vice versa if the Dems were in power and allow the Bush to take them over.

Am telling you just nominate Hillary, you will come to agree with me when its too late.

Reps are keeping the low profile at the moment, but they are going to fight nail and teeth as they did in 2004.

February 1, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. Independent

How come I don't see the Clinton kazakhstan news anywhere on CNN? Isn't CNN supposed to be the most trusted name in news? The one stop news shop?

February 1, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. Lindcol

Hillary is clearly ready to be president. She is confidant, ewperienced and has what it takes. A Clinton/Obama ticket....maybe - how about Clinton/Gore!!!! Go Hillary. I support you 100%.

Hillary '08'

February 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  14. California Voter

Please. If you're fooled by last night's love fest, you should hand in your journalism credentials.

Obama would never play 2nd fiddle to Bill Clinton. VP in a Hillary administration would be the ultimate sinecure (job with pay and no responsibilities).

February 1, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. Patricia L Jones

What is the matter with you guys? HILLARY is the best and I really don't think a nyone has to worry about Bill. CLINTON/OBAMA would be a good ticket.

February 1, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. Brad

If Hillary gets the nomination, Bill Richardson can be her only choice as a running mate. She needs the western Hispanic vote to win. If Obama gets the nomination then he needs to do something bold and take someone like Chuck Hagel to show he is sincere about his outreach to Independents and Republicans. Hagel is a decorated war veteren who would give Obama Foreign Policy credentials and was the first Republican to break ranks over Iraq.

February 1, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Paul

I think not Clinton/Obama in either order, but perhaps Obama/Edwards, or Clinton/Edwards.

I really liked Edwards, it was a shame he didn't keep his word to stay in until the convention.

February 1, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  18. Brian Ford

KIKI<

Bill can not be picked.... He can not hold that office ever that is the rules... Sorry

February 1, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. carol

Hillary '08 and '12

February 1, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. Karen SC

am i missing something?…people say they are moved by Obama's speeches. All I see is an arrogant egomainiac who is negative and jokes like Bush. Its what people do when there speeches are weak. I keep trying to listen to him and think there has to be something I'm missing, but all I hear is a Christian Preacher with a Muslim name.

February 1, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  21. Daniel

I don't care who VP is. The President has to be Hilllary.

I like the thought of Hillary/Biden or Hillary/Westly Clark

Please America!

February 1, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Laurinda

That is a very nice picture with Hillary and Barack. I think that they would be good together as a team. They could help us get our country back on track. We have the best country in the world and we need to show the others that the U. S. has the most freedom, we are powerful and we can do it without the help of China.

February 1, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. Jon

One thing that the people quoting Hilary's comment about it taking a Clinton to clean up after a Bush fail to realize is that the Republicans feel it takes a Bush to clean up after a Clinton.

Rinse and repeat…

Why not break the vicious cycle and avoid making the mess in the first place?

Vote Obama.

February 1, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  24. Altoid

The idea of a Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama ticket is ridiculous. There is NO WAY. Barack Obama has already done interviews where he insinuated he would not take a VP offer: “No,” he said. “I’m not running for vice president, I’m running for president of the United States.” He made his remarks during the webcast co-sponsored by MTV and the website MySpace back in October. His argument that it was too early to discuss such things is the SAME argument he made last night.

And any rational analysis of the response to the question last night should lay to rest any such speculation. Both candidates were WAY too careful NOT to answer the question. Barack IMMEDIATELY pounced on the question, almost before it was fully out of Wolf Blitzer's mouth. He led with humor, but it had a serious edge, to indicate that the two tickets would be very very different.

Hillary is too polarizing for his campaign, and would drive away not only Republicans and Independents but the growing list of Democrats who vow to never vote for Hillary, period. He knows this, AND he himself is none to happy with how she's run her campaign. Listen, again, to the very beginning of the debate again, where he refers her a friend, and then sort of stumbles for words: "she's done a... she's run a... we've run a very competitive campaign." He was trying VERY hard to be polite and non-offensive, but without condoning how she ran her campaign.

And again when asked if she was on his "short list" - he never agrees with that, but responds with a very vague "I think Hillary would be on anybody's short list." I totally imagined him saying in his head, as he leaned over for his water, "well, anybody's but mine."

Clinton, likewise (and showing her penchant for parroting Barack Obama, but less articulately, during last night's debate), only said "I have to agree with everything Barack just said."

Read between the lines people, instead of projecting some hoped for result onto a benign but nowhere near positive response. They are not remotely considering such an idea. The "Dream Ticket" is a fabrication of the media and you should be ashamed for attempting to mislead the public.

February 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. ww-New York

I don't think Obama has good ethics and morals.. I can't see him asking her to run with him.. Now I could see him asking Edwards.

February 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |