February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Americana

McCain is more liberal than Hillary. That's scary.
    Romney '08, pleeeaase...

February 2, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. rand

"Gee, I guess pollsters don't read blog comments. Not seeing a lot of love for McCain."

Pollsters are planning on factoring in blog comments, but are currently busy honing their models that gauge comments on bathroom stalls.

February 2, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. Mike

Don't forget that McCain wants to close Gitmo and have all the terrorists there come into the U.S. court system with all the rights of U.S. citizens. Remember the McCain terrorist "bill of rights"??? This fall, we'll either end up with an all out socialist (any democrat), of a closet, wanna be socialist (McCain) unless republicans can stop him. In truth, Romney wasn't my first choice, but he is far far better than McCain could ever be!

February 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. Robertt Taft

John McCain is unstable. After his having cursed out senators and congressmen, then SINGING "Bomb Iran" to the tune of the Beach Boys song "Barbara Ann" I think I have seen more than enough of this war-monger's dark side.

February 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. jamie

McCain is running on the platform that your jobs are not coming back, the illegals are not not going home, but we are going to have more wars.- Pat Buchanan

February 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. jamie

If you're a conservative, there really is only one place to go right now. I would even argue further than that. If you are a Republican in the broadest sense, there is only one place to go right now, and that's Mitt Romney.

- Senator Rick Santorum,

February 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. Tim

Mc Cain was never ever a fighter pilot. He was an attack pilot. There is a difference.

February 2, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. Peter

You all need to remember Nixon's advice to getting elected......Run like hell to the right to get the nomination then run like hell to the center to win in Nov. John McCain is already toward the center. And the only real chance to beat a Dem. Or keep the country split with so far nothing gets done. I will vote for the party nominee, period.

February 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  9. Jim J.

My wife and I have always voted for the Republican presidential candidate. There is nothing McCain could say or do to prompt us to vote for him. If he wins the nomination we will not vote for the office of president in November 2008.

February 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. mrflight

THEN IF ALL YOU PEOPLE HATE MCCAIN WHY DONT YOU SUPPORT MITT ROMNEY OR RON Paul.

February 2, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. Republican

I am a moderate republican and I find it hard to vote for McCain. He is dishonest and would make a horrible puppet of a President. Hillary and/or Obahma will fly right past him. If he is the nominee we might as well hand it over to the them. Mitt Romney is our countries only hope.

February 2, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. bill

There are many types of conservatives,those of you who seem to believe the base of the republican party is social conservatives & idiologs have been drinkin in to much of the medias "kool-aide".The far right is a minority in the party ,we wouldnt win any elections with a "small tent " party.Remember Reagan won with independants & convervative demacrats,lets not fool ourselves .

February 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  13. I Luv Hillary

John will be a tough pill to swallow but we will recover. If we have to swallow Hillary or Barack it's a deadly poison!....... I chose pain over death!

February 2, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. Anonymous

I hope it ends with Mitt Romney in the lead.

February 2, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. erik

He's just a fraud like all politicians. No one is voting FOR anyone in this election, you be voting AGAINST whomever.... that is, if you vote at all. I believe the majority of the country does not even bother. Well it's right at 50% isnt it?

February 2, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. DM

By the way JR, you may not think opinions on the internet count, but you were reading them, weren't you?

February 2, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  17. Greg Newson

Something is fishy about this whole primary process.How did McCain
    suddenly become the frontruner when a month ago he was something
    like 18% in the polls? I suspect we are being manipulated by someone.

February 2, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. T. Roosevelt

If all the conservatives are against McCain, who's voting for him? Are democrats crossing over to put a fly in the ointment? No conservative I know cares for him. It does make me wonder.

February 2, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. Lee

If McCain is nominated it will be another throw away election for the Republican party in the manner of Bob Dole. To bad we are so often relegated to choose the lesser of two evils when it comes to electing a President.

February 2, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  20. Jacqueline Bauer

So McCain may quit after Tuesday?? HURRRAAAAYYYY!!!!!

Famous McCAIN quote: "Bomb, bomb, bomb. Bomb, bomb Iran..."

The man is bitter, spiteful and simply frightening. Romney is truly Presidential.

February 2, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  21. Stanford thompson

McCain is NO conservative. He is a war monger....backed by AIPAC. Listen to him speak on the economy and finance....he is as stupid as they get.

A career politician...who is in the senate! Sitting on Committees....he has never managed ANYTHING! His Dad was an Admiral....which is the ONLY reason he graduated last from the Naval academy!

He is beholden to the Military Industrail Complex....and he is in the back pocket of the NeoCCons....You think BUSH is stupid???? He makes Bush look like Ben Stein.

February 2, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. Tony Houston, Tx.

Jeez, does anyone even remotely like McCain?
    oh yeah, and nice article...slightly slanted?
    The media does not pick the president.
    We Do!

February 2, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  23. Gene

Maybe someone can help me out on this. When McCain was a prisoner in Vietnam it"s my understanding he was given an oppotunity to be sent back to the States when the Vietnamese learned his father and grandfather were Admirals in the US Navy. To his credit I uderstand he turned it down and elected to stay in prison with his fellow prisoners.

My concern is this. Since the Vietnam war there have been many books written by POWs and I have read several of them and watched many interviews and programs on Cspan where they had POWs on and they discussed their ordeal while in prison. I have yet to hear any of them say anything about John McCain good or bad or anything. It's almost as if he was never there. I've only heard a quick negative comment about his time over there. Can anyone comment on this.

February 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  24. Mike Hayes

Are you people nuts....If Hillary's the nominee – I'll try and vote 10 times for McCain.

Anybody but Hillary 2008

February 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. Jim

If we don't win the war against the terrorists, nothing else will matter. Not health care, not education, not the environment.....nothing. McCain is the only one the terrorist's wouldn't want to be elected. They would tear up any of the others.

February 2, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |