February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. JH

Most Republicans feel betrayed by McCain and his antics over the years. The only reason some are rallying behind him, is because they've bought into the media frenzy and the fear tactics of electibility. "McCain is the only one who can beat the Dems" blah, blah, blah!!

It's utterly ridiculous to make such a conclusion, until there are actually two candidates chosen and they start running against each other!!

The media is clearly behind McCain, and if he wins the nomination, America will have a choice between two liberals.....not much of a choice in my opinion!

And since I can never vote for a liberal....I will not be going to the polls in November if McCain is on the ballot!

But, if the conservative movement keeps rallying behind Romney and can sway things on Super Tuesday, there is real hope that the true conservative Republican will be on the ballot in November, and I and millions of other Republicans will proudly go to the polls in November and cast our ballot for someone who truly represents the Republican party values and principles, and hope for a better future for this country: MITT ROMNEY!!!

February 2, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Anyonebutmccain

This life long conservative that always votes for the republican nominee for president WILL NOT VOTE OFR MCCAIN!

Hopefully he wont win the nominee, if he dos I hope we can get a good third party candidate to run.

February 2, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. R G Harbolt

I can't believe people can call themselfs conservaties and vote for McCain,Romney or Huckabee. Their money to run comes form the corporates war chest which is selling out our US manufacturing. The Neo-cons have about ran this country to the ground. Lets get back to what the GOP was meant to be, a strong dollar, good US jobs and get the hell out of the middle east. Ron Paul, 2008.

February 2, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  4. Stephen

Dem's must love it....they'll get a liberal no matter who wins next fall!!

February 2, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  5. Nathan

McCain can't unite the base, nobody with half a brain will belief anything he says about security, taxes, or anything other than the war.

His Hispanic outreach adviser is a Mexican national that sees the US as a region and not a sovereign nation. We will have open boarders and rapid progress towards a NAU if McCain is allowed to be POTUS.

February 2, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. DavidS., PA

I can only hope one thing.

That Ron Paul continues on as an Independent candidate that will end illegal immigration and the Iraq War. AND....will focus on what is best for the USA economy as opposed to what the neocons believe is best for the Middle East.

February 2, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  7. Dave B

The Real McCain:

When asked about a Kerry-McCain ticket: "John Kerry is a close friend of mine. We have been friends for years, obviously I would entertain it."
    On Hillary: “I have no doubt that Senator Clinton would make a good president.”
    On Judges: “Sam Alito is too conservative”.
    When asked about signing that amnesty bill that would allow 12 million illegal immigrants to become legal residents the next day: "Yes, I would sign that bill.”
    He refers to Bush’s tax cuts as “tax cuts for the rich”
    After voting against every Bush tax cut he says: “Clearly, we need to make the tax cuts permanent. We need to do some things right away.”
    His three signature bills: McCain-Feingold; McCain-Kennedy; McCain-Lieberman

If you want a democrat, vote for one, ……if you want a real republican….vote for ROMNEY

February 2, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. Dick in Arizona

I will not vote for John McCain if he get the nomination. I will not vote for a Democrat I will just stay home McCain will do even more damage to the conservative ideals if he wins the White House.

February 2, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  9. Raiderdad

McCain the RINOSAUR. When Ann Coulter says she will vote for Hillary before MCain you can just imagine how bad this guy is for conservatives.

February 2, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. Shelby

Just remember when 80% of the American people opposed the Senate's Amnesty Bill and Juan McCain still voted for it! I oppose him for President and I will donate to whoever opposes him and John Kyl in their senatorial races!

February 2, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  11. Sir Winston Churchill

McCain will win the Republican nomination. Watch his pick for VP. With the right people surrounding him, he will be extremely formidable, regardless of the Ron Paulites, socialists, and "conservatives" with McCain Derangement Syndrome. It will come down to Hillary vs. McCain and McCain will win. I understand those with qualms about McCain, but research his entire record and compare that with what you know Hillary or Obama will do.

February 2, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  12. Patrick

I pray that the Republicans will surprise McCain by voting for Mitt Romney. What leadership skills does he bring to the table other than his war record? No wonder he wants to have a 100-year war. God help us all.

Romney is the best candidate that the Republicans have, and he has my wholehearted support. Go, Romney!!!

February 2, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. David

I too have never missed a vote. I too will sit home in November and not vote for McCain if he wins. Not that it would matter. McCain could never beat a democrat... Why would anyone vote for him? If they want a liberal they will vote Democrat. A watered down version of anything inspires no one.

February 2, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  14. Pat

There isn't a lick of difference between Hillary and McCain. We're better off letting Hillary have it. At least she listens to polls.

February 2, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. fred

McCain should have run as VP with Kerry when he was asked. The Dems know that McCain is the only Republican they can beat. The media are hyping McCain so the Dems will have a walk in the park. Rally now and vote for one of the other Republican candidates. Go Mitt!

February 2, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. RC

I am a lifelong Republican who will not vote McCain period! "My Friend" John is not a conservative and will split our party. I back the TRUE conservative Mitt Romney! Huck should GET OUT NOW before he hands the nomination to McCain. GO MITT!

February 2, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  17. Dima

I don't worry about McCain, because mike Huckabee will be one. Person with experience and trust of 100%!

February 2, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  18. PIXIE

Check my Top Ten Reasons for "supporting" McCain, the big Phony:

1. He promises to catch Osama Bin Laden. Question is, if he does catch him, will he then fine him $3000, grant him amnesty, and give him a lifetime Z-Visa? Probably, but only if Ted Kennedy agrees to it.

2. McCain claims that he is the only real conservative because when he participated in a spelling bee in grade school, he was asked to spell that very word. McCain proudly remembers yelling out: “conservative, L-I-B-E-R-A-L “

3. He claims to know everything about the economy but won’t respond to any questions about it. That’s OK because he says that he can always hire managers.

4. The answer to every question he is asked in a debate, regardless of the topic, is “I’m strong on Iraq.” He says this simplifies things and then proudly claims that he is above answering any of these questions anyway because he (and any legislation he would propose) is the only answer to any problem that could ever arise in America.

5. The word Amnesty doesn’t exist in his vocabulary. Therefore, there can be no such thing as granting amnesty to anyone.

6. He claims that Ronald Reagan would strongly support him because, just as Al Gore invented the internet, McCain invented the conservative movement.

7. If he is elected, McCain promises to finally stop saying “listen, my friends” before responding to any question.

8. McCain acknowledges that he is no Jack LaLane, but states that his age shouldn’t matter because he will promise to get brain scans once a week, if elected.

9. McCain promises that he will continue to “reach out” to the most extreme liberal Democrats, like Feingold and Kennedy, so he doesn’t appear to be too conservative.

10. Finally, my favorite. Bill Clinton says that a Hillary/McCain contest would be the most civil in the history of the US. To prove Bill correct, McCain promises to hold hands with Hillary across the podiums every time they debate. Bill says that’s OK with him because he can go out and chase another fat chick while they’re debating.

Had enough?? Then vote for Romney!!!! Go MITT!!!!

February 2, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  19. BlueMax372

Super Tuesday may end the GOP.

February 2, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  20. Chuck Boust

Can someone please define "true conservative"? What exactly does the term mean? I need to know because in the definition I labor under, true conservative = Ron Paul. Or is a true conservative a libertarian or a constitution party member? The two party choice now presented as republican or democrat is really a choice between BIG government or BIGGER government! I suppose this is a result of a populace mis-educated in government schools that believes government is the ultimate fount of wisdom and solutions to any and every problem we can perceive. Mitt Romney, Mr. Health Care Coverage For All or Else, is a conservative? Nuts!

February 2, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. Jim

Since he is a war head, does this mean he's the anti-christ?

February 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  22. Dee

Remember it's the Demos that are holding up the rebates in the senate, they have done it before and will do it again and blame someone else. Just like McCain does. McCain speaks with a fork tongue and would be a very dangerous
    leader of our country. I would never ever vote for him. He has done nothing all the years he has been a senator.

VOTE for MITT ROMNEY his the one that will make a difference in the changes we need in our country. Go MITT

February 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  23. David

The very first feedback: "Bring back the draft". Why not? I left on a bus in 1967 as a draftee, but I chose to stay, I saw the all volunteer Army evolve, and returned home 22 years later. Young men came and left, but all served our country as proud Americans. I say bring it back, bring the draft back fully, without exemption, and as a service to our Nation to protect us with strength and readiness. Even if we were not at War we must train and be extremely ready as a preventative measure. While we focus on the conflict at hand, China prepares by throwing more money into a military build up than any other nation on our planet …they are placing money into readiness. It’s naïve to confuse readiness with “into war”.

Whoever we vote into office, and as a businessman I think Romey, we must, must be prepared as a nation with a strong defense.

February 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. AZFred

A vote for McCain is a Vote for more conservative Judges. No other candidate has committed to that plank, No other Republican candidate can, they all loose to either Hillery or Barack acording to latest polls
    McCain ranks 83% with the Conservative Union and Grade 'A' 88% with the National Tax Payers Union. Facts that can't be spun.

February 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  25. Randall

Here's the sad truth, "Straight Talk." The conservative base doesn't like McCain . . . that's obvious. Romney is a strong candidate with potent breadth on the issues. Huckabee is a good guy, probably my second choice for president; however, he's not going to win!!! Romney would win the Republican nomination if Huckabee would "step aside." Huckabee biding the inevitable will propel McCain to the nomination. Then again, Huckabee's spite for Romney may be why he's staying in!!!

February 2, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |