February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. The Dean of Heroics

I want a great leader and not an extremist. In fact, the extremist Conservatives need to be burned at the stake...Therefore, I'm voting McCain.

February 2, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  2. shauna

Why are evangelical Christians voting for Huckabee when they know they'll inevitably end up with liberal McCain? If they truly are socially conservative, why aren't they throwing their support behing Mitt?

If McCain does get the GOP nomination, I will be campaigning with Ann Coulter for Hilary Clinton. Hillary in the whitehouse is the only way the GOP will shape up and unite its party. Hey, maybe I'll even have a Hillary Victory Ball. . .

February 2, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  3. IB

Sounds like McCain's Florida win is already going his to head. I wouldn't vote for him just based on such a stupid, magalomaniacal statement. I was thinking about voting for this guy until I started doing some digging on his record and disposition. He's not fit for the presidency regardless of his standing with the party. The Califorinia debate, with his smug and childish attack on Romney, confirmed that for me.

February 2, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  4. Big Al

All the Dem And Republican candidates are not worth two cents. Yoy have your choice of continuation of war, socialized health care, open borders and continued illegals taking jobs and getting free health care,schooling etc. at taxpayers expense. I hope we get a good INDEPENDANT canidate to run and that is who I will support. We need to get our country back for the people not for the worthless Democrts or Republicans that are destorying this great country.

February 3, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  5. Andrew

SHAWN,

Republicans do not endorse the draft, democrats do. By 100 year war, there may be a little more of a history lesson there. 4-8 year plans do not work, long term plans do, case and point, China (not endorsing their rise but more so concerned of the reality of it).
    On a side note, if our country had a little more backbone to do the right and intelligent thing, we would most likely not be in a position of voting for candidates because they are the lesser of two evils. The majority of our current representatives are the byproduct of a federal government that has outlived its usefulness in creating new reasons for them to exist. We need to instead keep our current government by strengthening the most useful aspects of it and "trim the fat" of the rest.
    Unfortunately that will not happen until people like you stop making uninformed and skewed comments about a person because they are "Republican", or "Democrat", or whatever a celeberty tells you to say (like most of the ignorant people of this country do) but base your opinions off of informed and non-ignorant comments of someone based on learning the truth through reliable outlets.
    No, I am not endorsing McCain, no, I am not endorsing Obama, no, I am not endorsing anyone running for president. I am just taking the time out to tell you to understand what a person says in its full context and what their entire history is before making a comment like you did. What I am saying is, go to school, learn political science from an unbiased professor (or learn how to distinguish from fact and fiction if you encounter one) and start making informed and logical statements. Until that happens, you and all the others like you are the reason we are in the position that we are now.
    I love this country, I love this government, and I hope there are more unlike you to make sure we continue to thrive, like we once did. Remember what it is like to have self respect, self dignity, and wisdom. If you never had that, find a way to inherit it, that will be the best gift you will ever receive.

February 3, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  6. Lori

It's "divine intervention", John...not divine "intercession." No deity is likely to intercede on behalf of your candidacy– but intervening is entirely possible!

Two things happened today that indicate there might be some all-knowing intervention going on: First, the wise people of Maine repudiated you and supported Romney! They must have been as disgusted as I was at that smirk on your face throughout the debate and your efforts to keep Romney on the defensive about the "war issue" so you wouldn't have to offer your agenda for fixing everything else in the country that needs fixing. (You didn't fool Ron Paul!) Second, the disgusting marketplace murders today in Baghdad are something our troops cannot prevent, even though you keep them in Iraq forever.

You should also realize that when we hear you talking of "following Oasama all the way to the gates of hell" that doesn't make you a hero two times over in our eyes...but only reminds us of another stubborn leader of ours whose personal vendetta against Saddam caused him to drag a whole nation into an unwanted and unnecessary war in the first place. I get the impression that you will have to "continue the war" just to prove that you were right about the surge. Save us from leaders who offer up the lives of our military people to accomplish their personal agendas.

February 3, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  7. Bryan

McCain absolutely considered switching parties. If you go to the Youtube website and look up "democrats favorite republican", it shows a clip of McCain when he was asked if he would consider running on the Democratic Kerry ticket in 2004 he replied that "obviously I would entertain it". – Go take a look!

February 3, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  8. Craig Enfield

1.3 million illegal immigrants-then amnesty. Then 8 million illegal immigrants-and amnesty. Then 10 million illegal immigrants–and amnesty. Then 20 million illegal immigrants–and amnesty. Etc.etc. etc. And–eventually? You will become the very country all these people have been escaping from. Dolts and morons! You will get EXACTLY the country you deserve.

February 3, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  9. Robert

Go Mitt! He ihe only conservative left in the race, the only candidate that doesnt want amnesty for illegals, and the only one who has had a real job!

Mitt Romney for President '08!

February 3, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  10. Calvin

America's greatest threats is Terrorism, Islamic Extremists. We need a President who will protect us from these threats (Foreign and Domestic). John McCain is that President.

Wake up. We need military strength in the White House. Go McCain.

February 3, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  11. stanley

If Romney does not get the nomination, I will be voting for the constitution party...check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be time for a true conservative party....

February 3, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  12. matt

if McCain wins the presidency would all of you haters flee to Canada?? I hope so...less haters here, more trash there

February 3, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  13. Adam

It makes me feel affirmed to be a John McCain supporter that nut jobs Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh have come out against McCaing so strongly.

So called "real conservatives" need to get real. Bush has made the Republican party very unpopular right now. McCain is the only person who can appeal to independants to win the general election. Conservatives and Republicans have ONE choice for president. It WILL either be McCain in the White House, or it will be democrat. This democrat will likely be Hillary Clinton.

You say John McCain has "betrayed conservatism." You'll REALLY know what non-conservatism is if the DFL wins the White House with the DFL legislature. You know what we'll have then? How about publicly mandated health care. How about higher taxes. how about no solution towards long term money problems. How about a bigger government. How about legal gay marriage. How about increased abortion rates. How about surrender in Iraq, a surrender that will make the terrorists stronger and cause new 9/11s. A surrender that will bring the fight from Iraq to OUR FRONT LAWNS.

Conservatives can wake up and accept that there is ONE candidate on the GOP side who can beat the democrats, or they can sit at home and let the DFL saddle us with a big expensive wellfare state, terrorists knocking at our front door, and conservative values gone from Washington.

So before you make these strong statements against John McCain, remember, remember what the alternative is.

February 3, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  14. AZ Resident

John McCain did respond to questions about the economy – but his answer had nothing to do with the economy. Every time he is faced with a question about the economy, (even having a full staff coaching him with answers that I guess he can't remember long enough to say), he ignores the question and goes on and on about war. "Well, I'm a leader and I lead for patriotism, not for profit, and uh, well, uh, I was a foot soldier, yeah, in the Reagan Revolution, and I am really conservative, starting now, starting right now, I'll be conservative from now on, I promise."

Come on McCain.
    You aren't conservative enough for us, never have been. We can see your voting record.
    Mitt Romney is the most conservative candidate remaining. He is our man. I will vote for Mitt Romney and no one else, PERIOD.

February 3, 2008 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  15. AZ Resident

"We do not consider him a conservative at all," says Rob Haney, a Republican Party chairman in McCain's home district.
    The candidate's bus, the Straight Talk Express, should be renamed, Haney says: "We call it the Forked Tongue Express around here. He'll lie about anything."

- This is how us Arizona residents feel about John McCain.

However, there are enough independents & democrats in the state that will vote for McCain, which may put him over the top for winning the state. Republicans of Arizona HATE John McCain.

February 3, 2008 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  16. susan NY

Conservatives unite!
    Don't vote for Huckabee.
    Romney is the choice.
    People – really – McPain is a liberal in republican's clothing.
    McCain Feingold
    McCain Kennedy
    Considered changing parties.
    Voted against tax cuts.
    Did nothing in the 90s when Clinton cut the military.
    Keating Five

Romney is such a good smart leader – he is the Jimmy Stewart of this crowd.

February 3, 2008 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  17. Nellia

Anyone who does not "often ask for divine Intercession" will not get my vote. We need HIM on every occasion.
    N

February 3, 2008 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  18. erik

Adam - sorry but it's very easy to picture McCain mandating Gay Marriage and Global Warming. Teaching sodomy to 4th Graders, hey why not!?

Hillary's Universal Health Care is impossible to implement since there's no money for it, that's her exit strategy. It'll be blamed on Congress, of course. She gets fabulosity points for trying, what more can a Great Humanitarian do? Anyone with half a brain can see – if HMOs are a nightmare, picture Universal Health Care in the hands of the US Govt! The same people who run the post office, ha! It would be a huge, complicated, obscene disaster. Hillary already knows this of course. It will never happen. Politicians have to offer something to the mob or they'll never get elected. And those offers have a funny way of disappearing once elected.

At the end of the day, Hillary would be more conservative than McCain. I definitely believe that. I doubt I'll vote though, unless I have absolutely nothing else to do that day...

February 3, 2008 05:09 am at 5:09 am |
  19. Rocky

OBAMA as president is only going to make the Black population more aggressive and hostel towards whites. Someone is going to put his lights out either before the presidential vote or if he wins the vote. Black are already arrogant and cocky now because he is in the presidential race, HOW do you think they are going to be afterward.

February 3, 2008 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  20. 30%er

sorry McCain, you will not get my vote, Im sure you can count on Tom Daschle to vote your way

February 3, 2008 05:18 am at 5:18 am |
  21. Lily

I used to like McCain..when I heard him saying "100 years in Iraq"..I changed my mind..anyone but McCain..not another Bush's clone..we had enough..

February 3, 2008 06:06 am at 6:06 am |
  22. ricegf

@vicky: "...it's abundantly clear to an average American that the White House belongs to either Hillary or Obama..."

Vicky, in 1994 it was "abundantly clear" to the average citizen that Ann Richards, keynote speaker at the 1988 Democratic convention, would crush her politically inexperienced Republican opponent to become the first re-elected governor of Texas in history, and likely leverage that accomplishment to become president of the USA in 2000.

She led in the polls until just before the election, but it was her opponent who actually went on to achieve *both* of those accomplishments.

I think you may be counting your chickens before the eggs have even been laid.

February 3, 2008 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  23. Jerry

No more Chickenhawks and draft dodgers (like Mitt Romney) in the White House!

Time for a real man for a change!

John McCain '08!

February 3, 2008 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  24. Fred

McCain is the Democrat's worse nightmare.

February 3, 2008 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  25. Rich

I guess the big question is what to do about Iraq. Personally, I was never crazy about the whole thing. I really didn't think there was much of a reason to invade, but since we're already there I think it would be better if we could win. McCain was right about the surge, so I'm willing to give him a chance. Of all the candidates, I think only McCain could pull it off. The U.S. is building 14 permanent bases in Iraq. No matter what the Democrats might say on the campaign trail, we're not leaving.

February 3, 2008 07:08 am at 7:08 am |