February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. vman45

"hmmm February 4, 2008 1:15 am ET

McJuan keeps speaking of the war on terror and how he is the best man to keep the war fires burning.

Initially I was for the war because I believed Washington was trying to protect us.

NO more!

Bush made it clear protectionism is NOT allowed for America and he backed it up by leaving our borders wide open in a so-called time of war and McJuan agrees.

The war is on Americans. McJuan calls us disgusting names & wants Americans who don't agree with him to shut up.

NO McJuan in the White House! He sounds like HillLaRaza except for the burning fires of war."

Hmmm...I wonder who has the most campaign funding from the Military Industrial Complex? Cruella De Bill! Isn't that strange?

February 4, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  2. NoMccain

I am a conservative and a registered Republican. I can not vote for McCain. He is nothing more than a liberal with a temper. To vote for him would mean support for him in his mind, and I in NO way support him or his actions. If he gets the nomination, I may not vote or actually vote for the dem candidate. Mr. McCain can go to hell or Mexico, where ever he prefers.

February 4, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  3. Jon

I hope that McCain does become President and that the first guy to leave a comment gets drafted into the war. Then maybe the war will hit close enough to home for people to start caring about. The US cries over the loss of Heath Ledger but the names of the 28 soldiers killed in Iraq during the month of January are scarcely found. It is sickening.

February 4, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  4. Jim

Yep, if McCain wins Tuesday it will probably end the GOP race...and it will end the GOP party officially. What's left when all you muster were the candidates we had this year and the one who wins is the most traitorous liberal of them all. Think I will be following suit with Coulter and help that nightmare Hillary so at least I have an enemy who is forthright instead of another illegal immigrant loving subversive conservative pretender.

February 4, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  5. LARRY

There are no good choices on either side. There never are. You get to figure out and choose the lesser of two evils.The only sure thing is that a person of moderate means will never be president. They will always be rich to filthy rich usually before and definitely after they leave office. Just ask Slick Willie.God bless Harry Truman.

February 4, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  6. Mike

EGADS! I am a Soldier and a Conservative...really. However, if the race comes down between McCain and Obama...Obama might get my vote. At least with OBAMA I'd KNOW I was getting a liberal. With McCain he's a liberal trying to wear the mantel of the conservative...it doesn't fit. If it's McCain and Shrillary...I will slowly and grudgingly mark McCain.

I sent in my absentee ballot...Romney got my vote.

February 4, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. Buzz

"As far as anyone can tell, Bush, McCain and the rest of the war mongering republicans are more of a threat to our freedom than anyone else on this planet. "

Just shows you how stupid you libs are. Democraps have started more wars
    than republicans. Oh I'm sorry. I forgot. Libs don't want to be bothered with facts.

February 4, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. Debbie

Mc Cain is a Ted Kennedy wanna be!!! You have to select a Republican that will beat Clinton or Obama. Mc Cain is NOT that man, but thinks he is.

I don't know if Huckabee, has enough support to carry him to a victory.

My vote goes for unfortunately, to Romney.

WWJD?

February 4, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Carolyn

I am a Republican and if John McCain is the nominee I will hold my nose when I vote for him--almost as liberal as either Democrat. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Senator McCain.

February 4, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  10. Matt always pro life and always pro McCain

John McCain is a GREAT MAN! I'm with him through thick and thin. He has always been Pro-Life unlike Romney. Also, my father was on the USS Forrestal with McCain and personally saw acts of tremendous heroism from the McCain during that tragic day. He is the right man for these very difficult times.

February 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. think about it

McCain is a liberal trying to look more conservative
    Romney is a conservative trying to look more liberal

After the election, they are going to revert to where they are comfortable.
    McCain=liberal
    Romney-conservative

It's that easy.

February 4, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. think about it II

vote Romney.

If the borders are not addressed, it soon won't matter what the "legals" want in their government, they will be outnumbered.

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. tyler

I lived throught the McCain years in Arizona.

I certainly don't want a McCain in the White House.

Consider your choices, and don't be anonymous.

February 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. Jeff

If McCain gets the nomination it will actually be the end of the Republican Party. The only realistic choice is Mitt Romney!

February 4, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Sinoe Man

It is tiresome to read folks claiming to be comnservative who clearly define their conservatism as fretting over tax rates. No wonder the idolatrous worshipper of money, Romney, is their fair-haired boy.

For us social conservatives who don't want to see a draft-dodging coward who until recently advocated abortion on demand, was an enabler of the queer agenda, hostile toward provisions of the Second Amendment & belongs to a weird anti-Christan sect, in the White House have grown a tired of the anti-McCain hysterics from some so-called conservatives,. most of whom have never come even close to hearing a shot fired in anger.

The essential first position of a realistic conservative is national defense. Unless the nation is preserved, there is no oportunity to consider secondary issues.

In short, unless John McCain is elected, there's a serious risk that the nation may go down the toilet.

To try to be fair to Romney, he may not have been so much the coward as he was self-centered. But unquestionably, he battened within a protected society while some of us were fighting America's external enemies. Moreover, he more recently has clearly demonstrated his contempt for military service, for G.I.s & veterans. As veterans become aware of his contempt for them, he shouldn't garner their votes.

February 4, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. John Livingston

Character, competence, conservative=John McCain. Please read today's WSJ Editorial page for clarification. On the opposite page is an editorial from Mdm. Clinton herself. See for yourself the difference.

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. Jim

No war: Ron Paul
    Limited Government: Ron Paul
    No more income tax: Ron Paul
    More personal Freedom: Ron Paul

Paul is the only Republican choice.

We certainly don't need a "businessman" in the Whitehouse again.

nor, do we need anyone with a Socialist agenda.

But a guy with an understanding of economics..Large scale..Thats what might just work this time around.

February 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  18. ru4this

You decide 2008 – "Romney is widening his lead in California and has a really big advantage with conservatives," Zogby said. "Romney winning California would give some Republicans pause when they look at McCain as the potential nominee."

Do you want Academy Award winning actor John McCain in his role as a Republican Conservative and supporting actor Mike Huckabee as “The Spoiler” to be the nominees? I don’t. We need real leaders, someone with vision and conservative Values. I’m voting Romney – He is our only hope. Go Mitt!

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  19. susie

I'm disgusted with Mc Cain politics I just received my 5 th automated call from Mc Cain in 2 days.This one was full of distortions. I will never vote for McCain for these reasons. We don't need dirty politics. At least Romney an honorable man,he know has my vote. Vote" right "Calif. VOTE ROMNEY.

February 4, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  20. Barb Bee

McCain is not the only Republican in the race who will keep us SAFE. And he sure won't protect our borders. Not that anyone will notice...now that Romney owned...Clear Channel Radio talk show hosts have been so successful in unmercifully trashing the only true CONSERVATIVE in the race...Mike Huckabee...in order to promote Romney.. Oh, well, no one ever said that principles couldn't be bought.

February 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. Barb Bee

"Why would Romney want to be president unless he really felt he could help our country? He certainly isn't hurting for cash and I don't take him as power hungry."
    Quote:...Matt fromTX...

How naive...What else can someone who has that much money do...but GROW THEIR POWER!

He is far scarier than McCain!

February 4, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  22. Finn

If McCain wins the nomination, true conservatives will realize that they have made a mistake when they see how liberal Sen. McCain is disregarding his rhetoric of who he says he his.

February 5, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  23. Linda Vaitkus

I was at the polls this rainy grey AM in Quincy, MA and there was a sizeable crowd waiting to vote at 7:00AM, which is a very good sign. Some folks in line were discussing who had droppped out of the race. Since Guiliani and Edwards are both still on the ballot - and very popular, may I add - it would seem wise to posta list of current contenders to avert wasted votes. I predict that those who have dropped out will get votes in MA. Also, we received some misinformation at the Clinton campaign office last night - that people can register at the polls if they are yet unregistered. This is not entirely true. If you haven't voted in many years, you may file a provisional ballot, but it may be disqualified. When you register AT THE POLLS, you are only sure to be counted for the general election in November. GO HILLARY! :-)

February 5, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. jdingo

OK, everybody cool your jets...

McCain isn't going to bring back the draft. No one will. It would be political suicide, and ( just in case you didn't know it ) they are not running for you – they are all running for themselves; thier own ego and political ambition. Nothing more. They just want to win.

None of these canditates is anything more than a car salesman in a cheap suit. Just like that salesman, they will tell you anything you want to hear to get the sale closed.

Want socialised medicine?

We got that!

Want more jobs?

I can do that too!

How 'bout lower taxes?

Why not!

Does anyone really belive that these people have some mystical power to conrtol the universe and force it to spin the direction they will it to? All of their optomistic stump speeches will never changes the reality of your daily life.

That being said, unless you are in the military, it DOESNT MATTER wich one of these clowns ( or clownesses ) we elect. I know this because I spent eight years in the military.

Big corporations drive the economy, and therefore, our lives. The political process was sold many years ago – because we stood by and let it happen.

February 5, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  25. Paul

If we put another war propiteir in office I'm moving to canada. USA sucks so much now adays with the way its been handled. The entire world looks at us like were morons....and I don't blame them because all of whats been going on here is so moronic.

February 5, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |