February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. dig

I would never vote for Darth McCain, are best hope is Mitt for the presidency

February 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Houston

If people know that McCain is a disaster...why do they keep voting for him? what is the matter with us? If anyone besides Mitt wins.....I'm moving to an island until some miracle happen.

February 5, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  3. al

wow....I have always wondered how democrats justify stealing money from the rich with higher taxes and giving it to the "poor." This is a free country, if you have the brains and determination you can become very successful! I have personally spent 10 years in college to get my professional degree- and I believe the so called "poor" don't deserve to get my hard earned money!
    get off your butts and go to school and earn a living!! instead of being leaches and trying to live off the system! That is why the democrats breed a culture of people believing they are entitled to other people' s hard-earned money!
    There should be a flat 10% tax for everyone! so if you earn more you pay more!
    anything else is robbery!

February 5, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Joey

This election should be about a choice between Obama and Romney. McCain is Hllary ...a male one. They will say anything to get elected and if any of them gets a nomination you will see a lot of Americans stay home on election day in Nov. They are GW in disguise. We need new leadership.

February 5, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Don

Shawn, obviously you are a mis-guided Democrat. Who else among all the candidates has the military experience to get us out of Iraq? Only John McCain! He's not advocating a 100-year war as you imply. McCain wants the U.S. to leave with honor and dignity. To do otherwise would mean that the young servicemen and servicewomen we have lost thus far would have been in vain. Who else but John McCain is deserving of the title of President and Commander-in-Chief? None of them but John McCain. While I respect your opinion, I disagree with your politics and argument against the McCain candidacy. Obviously you have no military experience.

I'd hate to see Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama in such a role, and I certainly wouldn't want either of them anywhere near the so-called "football" which carries all the codes to launch a nuclear war. Neither of these two candidates have the experience, or ability, to lead our armed forces. Heaven help us if either of them get into office.

February 5, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Michelle

I am an Obama Supporter... He stands for change and he looks to bring this country together after the last 8 years has torn us apart. How many people do you know tht have been effected by this republican support war. Has your son or daughter died in a war that had more to do with money and oil than threaghtening our freedom. The republican administration has done a good job of putting fear in the hearts of you "patriotic " americans. Do you not realiaze that you have been lied to and that your children have died to line the pocketes of those who see past the blood of our children into thei bank accounts and own interests. Do you really want another president that will keep this senseless war going. Come on people.. Think for yourselves.. Listen to the facts. If you do, you cant deny the truth that sits in front of you. You can't deny that the candidates that you say have your same family values are liars, thiefs, murders..... My God represents a different set of values.

February 5, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. iloveliberty

Mccain compares '100 years of US occupation in Iraq' with US presence in Korea and germany. Such an ignorant ! Germans or koreans are NOT fighting against US presence, but iraqis are. We are NOT losing soldiers in Germany or Korea, but in Iraq. Presence in Germany/korea is NOT costing billions but in iraq. US poll shows 70% iraqis want US out, and 50% supports killing US soldier.s .....and More....

Read how the empires (Say British) went down. US is close to it and Bush+Mccain is simply expediting it.

February 5, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  8. Ralph O

McCain is a cocky old coot, like a lot of old men seem to get. I'm a Republican but would never vote for this old coot. If Obama wins Democratic nomination, McCain's old butt is history. I fully support Romney but the Republican right wing bunch of religious whacks has made the party all about religion and pushed Romney out because he is Mormon. I will not vote for McCain. If he gets the Republican nomination I will vote for the best Democratic (that would be the most conservative, Clinton). However, I do believe Obama will be the winner, men refuse to vote for a woman, just like right wing religious whacks refuse to vote for Romney because he is Mormon. Too bad true conservative Republicans need the right Christian nut's vote to maintain power. If they would dump them hundreds of conservative Democrats (unhappy with the welfare system Democrats are so famous for) would switch to Republican.

February 5, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Darryn, Chicago, IL

To Shawn.

Go check out which party tried to bring back the draft. It was the DEMOCRATS! Go look it up.

Last thing this country needs is a Democrat in the White House. That would be a disaster of such epic proportions that it would make the Bush Presidency look like gold.

February 5, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. Saul Terry, Midland, TX

I'm sick of hearing about the SURGE in Iraq working. Sure any surge by cops, law enforcement in crime areas will work as long as they are there. Like tons of cops in crime areas, tons of military in Iraq works as long as they stay there forever, it will always work. Soon as the tons of law enforcement leave a crime riddled area, crime returns. Same thing in Iraq. The only thing that will work is for our government to tell the lazy Iraqi government to get off their butts and start taking care of their country. The Iraqi government took the summer off for a vacation while insurgents were destorying their country. As long as the American tax payer keeps pumping millions into the pockets of these lazy sleeze balls they will not do anything to stop violance in their country. Same with Mexico, as long as illegals keep coming into this country and freeloading Mexico is fine. It's time our leaders stand up to (with enough gumption) and tell Mexico to take care of their own people and stop expecting American tax payers to do it for them. Mexico has all kinds of resources, including oil and hundreds of American manufacturing companies, why in the heck do their citizens have to come here illegally in order to support their families? McCain wants to keep Iraqi government and Mexican government in the pockets of US citizens.

February 5, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. Darryn, Chicago, IL

Interesting... when the war was going bad, all the Democrats wanted to talk about was the war... but now things have turned the corner, and the Democrats want to talk about everything BUT the war. That's the Democrat Party for you. Do whatever it takes to win, even if it means forcing your country to lose the war.

And that's exactly why they won't get my vote. When the Democrat Party starts putting our nation in front of their party, then come talk to me. Until then, I'l continue to vote against the Democrats.

February 5, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. doesnt matter

Maybe its time to disband the democrats and the republicans, and have about 20 parties that have to work together to do what the country needs not what one side wants...

February 5, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. Brandon

Mccain is a copy cat of Bush.. dont vote for Mccain!!!!

February 5, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Renee

LOL! I went to the polls in Southwest MO today and stood outside to take an exit poll. Only one person told me they were voting for McCain.

February 5, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Renee

LOL! I went to the polls in Southwest MO today and stood outside to take an exit poll. Only one person told me they had voted for McCain.

February 5, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. shan davis

I praise the Arizona residents who have the backbone to stand up against McCain.

February 5, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. True Blue

McCain is the only principled candidate of the entire race. Not only is he extremely experienced, a war hero, pragmatic and completely compromising along party lines – he is the only candidate that actually answers the questions posed to him in a straight forward and honest fashion. I can only hope that the general populous isn’t too dense to buy into the ultra-conservative bull or the backwards liberal media.

February 5, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Scott

If you want to vote for a liberal....vote McCain!!
    But "Us" REAL conservatives are voting for Romney!!

Look at the record of McCain to find the truth!!

February 5, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Kathleen

Wouldn't it be nice if the Commander in Chief was a man of honor and integrity who truly knows what he is asking of our troops if or when he calls upon them? We have never had an opportunity to elect a man who has sacrificed more of his life to our military and public service than John McCain. I was disappointed when the Republican party chose Bush in 2000 and am grateful for the chance to get it right this time.

February 5, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. RMS

I talked to a career army infantry soldier last night who was home on a two week leave from Iraq, going back next week. Based on my conversation with him, I am convinced that: we need mandatory military service; a refortification and accountability of our military that represents a real army with real soldiers, not part-time people who were never trained mentally or physically do have to do what we are asking them to do and a military that gives real security, not a false sense of security. (This deficiency is primarily a Clinton failing that cannot be repeated or continued.) I believe that the surge in Iraq only means quelling one faction while the other begins to refortify their extremists, and so on and so on and so on. GET OUT! And finally, as the soldier said, "John McCain is just a bitter old man," my friend. I have decided to join the "Biker Babes for Barack" and ride this new roadway of hope and change in America.

February 5, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Craig W

If McCain wins the nomination I'm voting for anybody else. Fours years of somebody other than McCain is way better than fours of McCain. 100 years in Iraq and more and more wars! Crazy.

February 5, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  22. Smiling Garret

Please folks READ the congresional record for yourself! McCain is NOT for tax cuts that just band aid the ecomony. He is for real reform. Change without a plan is DANGEROUS! We have had 16 years of mindless change with little reform. With John McCain we will get the right man with the right plan. READ WHAT HE VOTED FOR AND WHAT HE VOTED AGAINST! Do your homework for yourself and you will find out that he talks straight, lives straight, and actually does what he says. No wonder the establishment on the right and the left hate him. He applies common sense that helps the common American Citizen. Not the super rich or the established political community inside the beltway and he has been doing this for many years! Check for yourself and you will see I am RIGHT!

February 5, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  23. Mike

I am a Conservative Republican and I cringe at McCain calling himself a conservative, look at his track record. He is just a war-monger and he will destroy this country if he gets a chance. I myself will vote Democrat if he wins the Republican nomination. He can't stop riding the point that he was a pow, I feel bad for him on that point and I give him credit for making it through a period that I can't even begin to fathom, however that does not qualify him to run this country.

February 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  24. Wayne

I would never vote for McNasty and if he is elected President I would pack up and move to Australia, getting out before McAwful ruins this Country.

February 5, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |