February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. TammyNH

McCain is the worst choice possible next to Huckabee, I'll vote 3rd party or Obama if Mitt doesn't get the Nom.

February 2, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Scott

Shawn writes...

McCain is horrifying. He is totally into war, comfortable with the idea of a 100 year war he says. <<<

That's not what he said. People always have to twist things to make it sound worse. He was talking about a military presence. We've had a military presence in Germany for 60 years for example and probably will for another 40 too but we're not at war in Germany obviously. That's what he was talking about...not that we will be in a state of warfare for 100 years. UGH. I don't mind when people disagree, but it IS annoying when people spread stuff like this.

February 2, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. William

I hope that America wil wake and send this man to a well deserved retirement.

February 2, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Lee

Shawn,

I doubt that McCain is really comfortable with 100 years of war. I think instead, that McCain wants the enemies of America to know that America will not give up in its fight against terrorism.

February 2, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. Kate

We can see where McCain is spiritually with the comment "it is not often I ask for
    devine intercession", that should certainly open the eyes of the Christian base. There is no way this man is going to unite the GOP Party. Honestly there really is no one out there to vote for this time but-I would rather see Romney as the front runner than any of the rest. Sure wish Lieberman would have run.

February 2, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. Jeremy

The surge did nothing??? Shawn you need to wake up! the surge did everything. As someone in the military im behind him 100%.

February 2, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. Randy

John McCain is unstable, he is no conservative, and he is probably not up to the challanges of old age like Regan was.
    What if another Katrina hits the US, what would McCain do?
    What if another 9/11 happens, what would McCain do?
    "100 years in Iraq"???
    "I don't like the economy"???
    What do those bizzare comments mean???
    I see my party comming unglued.
    For the 1st time in 30 years, I may sit this one out!

February 2, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. MTW

I believe it'll be difficult for McCain to "unite" the party. My guess is he will pick Huckabeast as VP in an effort to gain the social conservative wing of the GOP, and he will likely then attempt to siphon the moderates and independents away from Clinton/Obama, or Obama/Clinton, whichever order it will be.

The interesting thing is that none of the above choices will satisfy the true economic conservatives, who have no place to turn with the two major parties. McCain is a big-government, "Big Brother" type, Huckabee is a populist, not conservative at all, and the Dems are pretty-much socialists.

Look for a stronger third-party presence than usual, as the ultra-left will again be disaffected with the Dems turn to the center and vote for Nader or whatever fringe, Green-types are out there, and look for the Libertarian Party to score it's biggest vote tally ever.

Also look for a couple more independents, maybe Bloomberg, and perhaps a third-party right wing conservative alternative for the true conservatives.

It's safe to say there could be 10% or more third party vote, it may be the winner in November could do so like Clinton did in '92, with less than 45% of the popular vote.

We can only hope and pray the two-party system is on it's way out. It appears that the two parties are growing together, a Nanny State, just like in Huxley's "Brave New World".

February 2, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. Rebecca/ CALIFORNIA

I WILL ASK FOR DIVINE INTERCESSION "MCCAIN PLEASE STEP ASIDE AND LET SOMEONE WITH INTREGITY AND INTELLIGENCE HAVE A CHANCE AT THE WHITE HOUSE". I AGREE WITH SHAWN MCCAIN IS TOTALLY ABOUT THE WAR.

February 2, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Edgar

How come everyvody takes what mccain said out of context he never said a hundred year war, what he said we were going to have our military there for as long as we need to. sort of like in South Korea

February 2, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Jeff

While I more or less agree with the above points, I also think that he's the Republican's best chance, unless people keep on thinking about the economy (which is pretty likely). So I guess I can see where he's coming from saying something like this. The only issue is whether or not tjis comment will make him seem cocky in the eyes of voters. That being said, I wouldn't say that he has anywhere near a fighting chance in the general, although if Clinton is the Democratic candidate, she would bring out the Republicans to vote in droves. We'll see.

February 2, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. John Allan

I loved McCain's comment about "uniting the party". Sorry John. Ain't gonna happen. You've backstabbed conservatives in the party for yours, and they aren't about to "unite" behind you. People don't unite with their enemies. Besides, as a presdential candidate, you pale in comparison to Romney, who's definitely got my vote.

February 2, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  13. David

McCain is just too old and too liberal to be the nominee.
    He doesnt know squat on economic matters and it is time to
    put to rest on his naval service 30 years ago. He wasnt the only
    one who served the country .. Many did too. please.

February 2, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. Ed

Saying the surge has not done a hole lot shows your complete ignorance on the subject.

McCain is a democrat, he's just wearing a Republican suit (a cheap suit at that).

February 2, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. Thomas

If you want to know what McCain will be like as president, just look at how cocky, smug, deceitful, and rude he was during the last Republican debate when he thought he had a little power after winning Florida. McCain is a power-hungry warmonger whose temper and lack of economic knowhow and experience would ruin our nation. McCain, Huckabee, and the media have done nothing but disparage Mitt Romney to divert attention from the fact that Romney is the most qualified candidate to fix our economy, strengthen American family values, bolster our military, and turn Washington around. Claims of Romney flip-flopping lack any substance and are the only attacks his rivals (including the media) can come up with. Did he flip-flop on abortion? He has always been personally pro-life, but he didn't think it was the government's place to force that belief onto others. Once he saw the path legalized abortion is taking us down (the creating and destroying of embryos for testing), he realized that government has to step in. He changed his mind–is that so wrong? Isn't it better to finally be right than consistently wrong? Did he flip-flop on gay rights? Gay rights means something different today than it did a decade ago. It didn't used to include gay marriage because no one even conceived of that being a possibility. Romney has always supported gay rights (i.e., that people shouldn't be discriminated against for their sexual orientation), but he has never supported same-sex marriage. Claims that he flip-flopped on gay rights are completely false and unlike McCain, Romney supports a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage. Romney is the only candidate that can sustain our nation during the multitudinous trials it will soon face–which are more than just the war like McCain would have everyone believe. If more people don't rally around Romney, McCain is going to get the nomination. If that happens, I'm not voting Republican–I'm voting ABM (Anyone But McCain). It saddens me to think that as a registered Republican I'd consider voting Democrat–but I just can't vote in good conscience for an ill-prepared and disrespectful jerk like John McCain. America deserves better.

February 2, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. True Republican Georgia

John McCain is a disgrace to the Republican party. If this happens Super Tuesday will turn into Black Tuesday. We conservatives need to ralley behind Mitt Romney. Vote Mitt on Tuesday!

February 2, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. Cheyenne

I like MacCain but he is going to be same old same old .We need some one new energetic .

February 2, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. Eric

It is clear that the only conservative is Huckabee, he is also a proven leader with the economy. He is also for the fair tax that will help the economy. I really think it's crazy that he is not a front runner in this race, americans really need to read up on the issues and awaken themselves into reality.

February 2, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Marti San Diego, CA

Smug Smug Smug!

How about an endorsement of a candidate's ability to flat out lead and deliver results.

Here’s what the CEO of one of the businesses Romney helped said about Romney’s LEADERSHIP:

Boston, MA – Today, Staples Founder Thomas Stemberg released the following statement regarding Governor Romney’s record of growing businesses and creating jobs:

“At this critical time for our economy, the United States needs a leader in Washington who actually has a record in the private sector of creating jobs. That leader is Mitt Romney. He knows what it takes to create jobs because he has done it time and time again. As a businessman, Governor Romney took a chance and invested in the first Staples store. Today, tens of thousands of Staples employees across this country have jobs because of that decision. That’s a clear record of action that Mitt Romney repeated time after time. Washington needs leaders who can do more than just talk about creating jobs.”

February 2, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. Muffy

McCain is losing it (in the head) he is surely showing that he is too old.
    Obama is such a wonderful breath of fresh ideas and so young and gives us all such hope for returning this to the country we all love, and were proud of before Bush and his evil cabal ruined it.

Anyone who votes for McCain is just voting Bush back into office. He frightens me.

Obama is the one to get us back to being respected around the world.

Obama, YES WE CAN

February 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  21. Brad

McCain, When I see him, and her him, I get the feeling he is a old man with a big chip on his shoulder. I understand he has knowlage or leader ship and knowing what it takes to win a war. But when it comes to saving this country from emploding under economic collapse, he is not the one. My vote will be for Romney, he has the business sence and leadership I think this country really needs. Romney may not have been in war himself, but thats why you have advisors and think about all options. I Think he is the right man.

February 2, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. Michael Huerta, indianapolis indiana

I like McCain and Clinton because they both understand that America needs to open its southern border to compete in the global economy.

February 2, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  23. J.J. Forbes, an independent thinker

Let's watch Huckabee win the white house from the democrats.

Let's watch Romney win the white house from the democrats.

It won't happen. Therefore, Republicans must unite to help John McCain keep the white house from being handed to the democratic candidate.

February 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  24. Shawna

Doesn't he mean it will end the Republican Party??

Incredible... I felt something was way wrong, and it's finally dawned on me what it is.

The Republicans are really being played for fools...

Take a man who is liberal and has spoken of changing over to the Democrat Party in the past. He knows he can count on the liberals support and endorsements if he runs Republican, and that's a big plus. How many calls and late night dinners did it take? McCain knew if he went against Hillary/Obama on the Democrat ticket, he would just be another candidate and wouldn't have a chance.

And here's the beauty of the strategy – a liberal (Democrate at heart) running and winning on the Republican ticket with liberal endorsements, and of course the Independents he can count on because he is liberal... faces Hillary/Obama as a peer ... a party nomination winner.

What genius – what deceit – he has a better chance at the White House with this strategy and there is the added bonus of destroying the Republican Party as well as Rush says.

What a guy... Republicans, you better wake up before it's too late.

February 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  25. Dario

McCain is wrong. There is no guarantee that the party base will join him.

In fact, I will be one of the ones that will not. I'm voting for Romney in the primary in Connecticut, and if McCain indeed does wrap up the campaign on Tuesday, I will immediately withdraw from the Party and vote a third party candidate. There is no way I'm going to hold my nose just to vote for McCain against a "Democratic alternative." What does it matter? He looks exactly like them, so either way we'd get a leftist president. Personally, however, if America does get screwed up, I'd like the Democratic Party to be blamed for it...

February 2, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |