February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. John

If McCain thinks conservatives are going to compromise principles just to 'get along' and support him, he's wrong. I frankly don't care about bipartisanship. We need leadership. If everyone just concedes in order to get along and 'get things done' in Washington, one thing that certainly won't 'get done' is debating major issues until the Truth finally wins out, in the end.

McCain is not many years removed from flirtation with switching parties. His claiming he's a footsoldier in the Reagan army makes me vommit. John is a war hero who is simply not the best choice to lead our country because of his liberal tendancies. Right now, he could best serve this country by bowing out (BTW-I know he won't).

February 2, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Julien

John McCain will not get my vote! He can't unite the Republican Party because he is a Republican in name only.

February 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Harry

Shawn – Let's unpack the context of the "100 Year War" statement. To say that McCain is in favor of the current level of operations in Iraq going on for 100 years is an out and out lie. If you listen at all to what he says, when asked how long troops could be there, he talks of a US presence there in the same way that the US continues to maintain a presence in Japan, Kuwait, Germany, etc. NOT a perpetual war, but US presence. Which is probably accurate. If you want to keep making this point, please ask Hillary and Obama when they expect to bring the troops home from Japan and Korea.

Your argument on the war itself is what you should focus on – McCain is for the continued prosecution of the war – Hillary less so – and Obama not at all. But both Hillary and Obama would likely leave US forces nearby or on bases in Iraq to preserve order.

February 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. Bruce - Greensboro

Aa a Republican that has voted for the party's presidential candidate in every election since 1964 when I voted for Barry Goldwater; I can promise you that I will never vote for John McCain. I'd rather let the Democrats get blamed for destroying the country than another RINO.

February 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  5. Joyce - Georgia

I will not vote if McCain is the nominee. Not worth the wait on line!

February 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. WES LOVELACE

If McCain is the nominee – I will leave the party – Time for a 3rd party.

February 2, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. Rob

If McCain is our nominee I won't vote. I would NEVER vote for that RINO.

February 2, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Hugo M., Ithaca, NY

McCain is an honest and honorable man. He won't keep us in the dark and he will always do what he believes is right.

February 2, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. Bill-Reno, Nv

I will not vote for Mccain under any condition–I will vote for Obama and then vomit

February 2, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Warren Wilson

Few Americans are aware of the peril we face today. McCain is owned by corporate interests and AIPAC. He is a major part of the problem, not the solution.
    Ron Paul is the only honest candidate on either side of the aisle. He might lack charisma, and have the appearance and voice of an old man, but unless we elect him, we might as well sign our own death warrants, dig our own graves and crawl in.

February 2, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Jonathan

John McCain will never unite the Republican party. As a conservative who votes the issues, (not a blind, Republican sheep), I could never support McCain. He might as well pick Hillary for his VP. His idea of uniting the party is to cave on all issues that define conservatives. It is no wonder that the conservative base doesn't support him. He is pandering to the left to try and shore up his GOP nomination. CNN loves him because he is basically another tax and spend democrat. Notice how much air time they give him during the debates, and he was talking about NOTHING. He had his talking point about timetables and even when AC gave the whole quote and McCain was shown that he was wrong, he kept on going. I would vote for Hillary before I would vote for McCain. At least when she screws up the economy, it will show that big givernment doesn't work. If McCain wins, it would look like another 4 years of failed Republican fiscal policy, of which McCain does not represent.

February 2, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Hank - Arizona

McCain will do ANYthing and say ANYthing to get into the white house. Then he will side with the Democrats on major issues. Why can't people see this.

Mitt Romney for President.

February 2, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Jason

HA! True. If McCain gets the nomination, the GOP will lose.
    I'm a hard-core conservative who can't imagine not voting for our nominee, but I won't vote for John McCain.

February 2, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. jesse

remember the keating scandal, where keating stole millions of dollars of peoples savingings and left them destitute. well McCain was keatings house guest and very close friend,He and John Glen and the rest of the so called keating five pushed through legislation that immunized keating from any prosecution.
    McCain's sense of right and wrong is based on whose benefit is being effected!.

February 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. I don't like burqas

We're going to have the 100 year war whether we like it or not. The only question is whether we fight or put on burkas.

About half the country appears be taking measurements.

February 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. Mark

I live in Illinois and was a commited Rudy supporter. I now intend to vote for Romney on the 5th. If McCain should get the nomination, I am prepared to sit home on election day and wait four years for someone I can trust to lead my party. From campaign finance reform to working towards amnisty with Kennedy, McCain is not Republican, conservative, or in my opinion a leader.

February 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Gregory Martinez

McCain is not only NOT a conservative, he is one-french-fry-short-of-a-happy-meal (meaning he is nuts).

Romney is a flip-flopping chameleon and also NOT a conservative. He is also a Mormon, which is not Christianity but is a cult.

I am for the only real Republican left in this race, Mike Huckabee.

February 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. John

As a life long Republican, I cannot stomach this little man. If ever a guy had a chip on his shoulder, McCain is him. Unless Huckaby drops out before Tuesday and endorses Gov. Romney, McCain will have his is pyrric victory, and will destroy the GOP in the process. Ann Coulter will not be the only Republican who will simply be unable to pull the lever for this crippled little pretender.

February 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. Todd

Why would Daschle even request a meeting and table the thought UNLESS this completely liberal Republican wasn't already voting just like the Democrats? Did they approach every Republican? Did they pick McCain's name randomly out of a hat? No ... the picked the discussion with him because Tom Daschle knew there was a chance he might do it: MCain-Kennedy Act, McCain-Feingold Act, Mccain-Lieberman Act. McCain is a DISTASTER for the Rebuplican party.

February 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. tom in SD

Is it too late to kick this "hero" out of the party?

February 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. Steve

There is no chance McCain will be elected in the general election. He has a record of shooting his mouth off and it will all come back to haunt him. There are records of racial slurs and other antics of a "loose canon" that the Democrats and the media will focus on. People will be frightened of him. Also, look for subtle references to his frailty and feebleness (his advanced age) as time goes on.

So now the question is, will the next President be Hillary or Obama?

February 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Gull

For the sake of this nation - notwithstanding the Republican party - I pray that McShame is wrong in his prediction.

There is no way - even in the face of allowing the Clintons to return for their third and fourth terms - I will never, ever support the NRC/GOP's "heir apparent" to the Presidency.

McCain is a backstabbing, mean-spirited, hypocrite who has masqueraded as a conservative behind his hero mantle for 30+ years. He's a sham; he's a traitor to his own credentials and to the premises of conservatism.

John Kerry - whom McCain volunteered to serve as VP - tried that "hero" scam in '04. It didn't work then and it sure as heck won't work now.

If McCain is on the Republican ticket - I'll vote 3rd party, democrat or write-in. And the Republican Party leadership can take me off their rolls in more ways than one.

February 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. Louis Andrews

If McCain wins the nomination and goes against Clinton, I predict that he will beat her because even the republicans who hate him (and they are many) will vote because they hate her more. If he goes against Abama, they might well stay home and finish destroying the republican party that GW has done such a great job of destroying in the last seven years. Either way, the American people are in for more terrible years of rule.

February 2, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. PRG Fishers, IN

I have seen way to man attacks lately on Senator McCain, from he's the Manchurin(?) candidate, to "he'll have us at war for 100 years". People, wake to and smell the reality. Understand that McCain does not intend to be at war for 100 years, he's sending a signal out to the terrorist that he will defend America, and will not give up. If anybody understands the cost of war, it Senator McCain! He has always put the interests of the country first over his political party (for better or for worst for him, that's why some far right wing Republicans are so upset). If you have differences with his views than fine, but please, no more insane comments about any of these candidates, they are all good people who love this country.

February 2, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. Cheyenne

There is a HUGE difference in being a Republican and being a conservative. If McCain thinks he can unite conservatives behind him, he's drinking more than his wife's beer.

February 2, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |