February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Slick-Willy

I couldn't agree more. If McCain wins the nomination (seems very likely), the only relevant race left will be for the Democratic nomination. Republicans hate and distrust McCain so much that many of them will vote for Hillary rather than back McCain. Not only do they believe Mac will damage conservatism, they believe he will rule in a similarly liberal manner as Hillary. The only chance Republicans have of coming together is through Mitt Romney, whose chances are certainly down at this point.

February 2, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. RGJ

It's over. Republicans have to drop the piddling complaints about this or that issue and realize we are facing either the horror of Hillary or the emptiest shirt the presidential process has ever seen in Obama.

All good Americans, not just Republicans, need to get behind John McCain to stop these Democrats.

February 2, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. killa

This guy is (D)emented and (D)elusional, and is running on the wrong party – but that gives a good indication of how wimpy the (R) party has become. . . . the mainstream media loves the McCain Mutiny, but when it comes time to endorse a presidential nominee, it will be on the (D) side – count on it!!!! Wake up, real Americans and Conservatives . . . . or pick your poison , , , , because we are being sold out by the vermin, snakes, and cockroaches that run the political parties and the press! ! ! !

February 2, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. reaganquotes

Rally to Romney! We conservatives risk losing the Republican party if we don't unite behind Mitt.

February 2, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Steve

Actually, disagree with both Shawn and David. Senator McCain can pull the base together. He leads in most polls in general match-ups and I think the vast majority of Republicans will support him once the horrific Mitt Romney is totally defeated (which I believe will be soon). Comparing McCain to Bob Dole is simply a bad joke.

Both Obama and Hillary are bad candidates. Most won't admit it but I think John Edwards would have been their best candidates. Hillary is mean and fake, while Obama is just too simple-minded and young.

February 2, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. karen r

Wow, Sen. McCain sees himself as a uniter? Who does that remind you of?? If Sen. McCain gets more delegates than Gov. Romney on February 5, then maybe, just maybe, it might be over. Anyone who has observed Sen. McCain on C-Span for the past several years already knows who he is and what he stands for. There is nothing conservative about Sen. McCain. Speaking as a conservative Republican abandoned by my party, hell will freeze before I ever vote for Sen. McCain under any circumstances.

February 2, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. Howard

I have voted for the GOP for nearly 40 years but there is no way I will vote for a despicable, back stabbing RINO like MCain. It is impossible for him to unite the party since few will believe or trust anything he says. If he gets the nomination, he will lose in a landslide and whoever is supporting him should lose as well.

February 2, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. Bill -NC

Mr. Amnesty McCain is weak on immigration, weak on economic issues, and completely out to lunch on foreign policy. He will spend us into oblivion. 100 years in Iraq ? Sheesh what a buffoon !! I wouldn't want that temper tantrum throwing nut job any where near the button. Please give us a real conservative.

February 2, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Chuck - Phx, Az

I am in the Ann Coulter wing of "Anybody but MexiCain". I too will be voting 3rd party or Dem in November for the first time in my life if he succeeds in winning the Rep primary.

Go Mitt Romney!!!

February 2, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. AK

I like it how the Democrats, prior to McCain being the frontrunner, were laughing at how fractured the GOP was.

Now, the GOP is pulling behind McCain. Sure McCain has a few enemies in the establishment, but that's not enough to stop him.

The Democrats, on the other hand, seem like they will be fighting all the way to the convention. At least McCain will get a head start.

February 2, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Pixie

McCain is nothing but a Ted Kennedy KissÄss, phony republican. The only way he belongs in the White House is if they let him in to wash the limos. Get out the vote and support Romney. McCain has betrayed the republican party too many times. Let's send him out to pasture once and for all.

Go MITT!!!!

February 2, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. Eric

The war is neccesary. War has been around for thousands of years, get used to it, its a part of the world whether you like it or not. I hope you feel comfortable sleeping at night because this war is preventing terrorits from fighting us on our home land and your back yard. Get a clue naive idiots.

February 2, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. Phil

I like John McCain the 'man'. But I do not like John McCain the politician.

John McCain is not a conservative.....I am a conservation Republican and I cannot vote for this man for POTUS.

McCain has been running for President for the past 10 years. I am tired of turning on the TV and seeing him.

February 2, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Whole Process a JOKE

This whole process is becoming a joke.

McCains sighted by a Senatew comitteee for bad jusgement
    Obama admitted concaine use as a youth
    Huckabee said Mormom thik the devil and Jesus are brother
    Clintons had the White Rock scandal

IN Canada we pick the best candidate

February 2, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  15. Joseph A. Cavaluzzi

Maybe you people will wake up soon. There is only one candidtae running who can fix this country's ills......Guess Who? Oh, by the way , he believes in the Constitution. Remember that document that was written over 200 yrs. ago by the founding father's.......................

February 2, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  16. jhill

After mc Cain's attempt at "Campaign reform" and the :Gang of 14" I do NOT trust him.

GO..........................Mitt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, I lived in Michigan when Mitt's Dad for the Governor. he knew how to run a state. And as they say, The "apple" does not fall far from the tree.

February 2, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. Pixie

Check my Top Ten Reasons for "supporting" McCain:

1. He promises to catch Osama Bin Laden. Question is, if he does catch him, will he then fine him $3000, grant him amnesty, and give him a lifetime Z-Visa? Probably, but only if Ted Kennedy agrees to it.

2. McCain claims that he is the only real conservative because when he participated in a spelling bee in grade school, he was asked to spell that very word. McCain proudly remembers yelling out: “conservative, L-I-B-E-R-A-L “

3. He claims to know everything about the economy but won’t respond to any questions about it. That’s OK because he says that he can always hire managers.

4. The answer to every question he is asked in a debate, regardless of the topic, is “I’m strong on Iraq.” He says this simplifies things and then proudly claims that he is above answering any of these questions anyway because he (and any legislation he would propose) is the only answer to any problem that could ever arise in America.

5. The word Amnesty doesn’t exist in his vocabulary. Therefore, there can be no such thing as granting amnesty to anyone.

6. He claims that Ronald Reagan would strongly support him because, just as Al Gore invented the internet, McCain invented the conservative movement.

7. If he is elected, McCain promises to finally stop saying “listen, my friends” before responding to any question.

8. McCain acknowledges that he is no Jack LaLane, but states that his age shouldn’t matter because he will promise to get brain scans on a quarterly basis, if elected.

9. McCain promises that he will continue to “reach out” to the most liberal Democrats, like Feingold and Kennedy, so he doesn’t appear to be too conservative.

10. Finally, my favorite. Bill Clinton says that a Hillary/McCain contest would be the most civil in the history of the US. To prove Bill correct, McCain promises to hold hands with Hillary across the podiums every time they debate. Bill says that’s OK with him because he can go out and chase another fat chick while they’re debating.

Had enough?? Then vote for Romney!!!! Go MITT!!!!

February 2, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. Joe - Arizona

John McCain is the worst possible candidate. I am a typical conservative, and no amount of double-talk and pretending from McCain could ever make me forget my deep beliefs, nor his record in Washington. He is a huge part of why Washington is broken. He's been in Washington for 25 years, he's hurt the nation, he's hurt our party, I will NEVER, EVER, EVER reward his voting record with a Promotion to President.

February 2, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. Mark -Idaho

The Republican party is over. I wanted Mitt, the one and only true Republican running. I guess I will Have to vote for Obama, at least he represents something different for America like Romney would have, too bad for the Republican party. McCain will certainly had the white House to the Democrates.

February 2, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. Marc

Nobody believe that McCain can beat Clinton and Obama but the sad truth is that he will unite the GOP even the conservatives and he will become President.

February 2, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  21. Rich - New Orleans

Shawn – I totally agree with your analysis. Wake up people. McCain loves war for the sake of war. Ninety-five percent of the time he talks about war.

Furthermore, McCain does not have an extensive formal education.

February 2, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. RAPTOR

David also is very clueless. Remember one thing my liberal friend from the Mecca of Liberalism (Oregon).....HRC has one major problem, she is UNELECTABLE! Don't think you had better count your chickens just yet!

The Raptor

February 2, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. Norma

McCain CANNOT win against the democrats since MANY TRUE Republicans will not vote for him. McCain is a democrat is disguise as a Republican. McCain is a smug, ego-driven politician who speaks with a politician's forked tongue. I DO NOT TRUST McCain. I FEAR McCain will lead us into yet more war while allowing amnesty for the illegals and letting the economy go to ruin.

February 2, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Tom Wittmann

David – Oregon City

Mc Cain does not need to pull all the present base togtyher, but he can do it easily
    with 90-95%, excluding the u7ltra-right extremist. These 5-10% will be several times compensated by independents and democrats which like his moderate and
    over-the- aisle reaching stances.

As for the captioned 5%, my advise to the GOP would be: get the GOP to fignore them, if they want to sit out the election let them do so. This is what Tony Blait did with the Ultra-left in the UK, since then the labor party got and is holding to the power!

Tom

February 2, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. M A Rand

Are we going the way of Rome? How long will it take to bring back the draft?

February 2, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |