February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

On the plus side, a McCain nomination will almost definitely seal a Democratic president in the general elections.

February 2, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  2. Max

When the country – minus NYC, San Fran, Boston & LA – realize that Hillary could be President. It will be so scary that the GOP, Independents & moderate democrats will vote for McCain.

February 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. Publius is Dead

What a farce!! McCain running on the premise that Washington is broken. Ummm, He's been part of the DC problem for the past 35 years.

This election is rigged already. Wall Street Socialists and Media Socialists(ie CNN) have won. Americans lose with McCain, they lose with Hillary or Obama.

Let's not forget the NY Times endorses McCain. 'Nuff Said.

February 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. Sam

Well all know McCain is not good with math. This just proves it.

February 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Bob - Indiana

Agree with David. It will take decades to bring back the party from the establishment if McCain gets in. Look at his endorsements.

February 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. Luci

A vote for McCain is a vote for liberal ideology. Although I respect and appreciate his admirable service in the military, this does not qualify him to be president. Many people are blindsided by this factor and do not read about his liberal voting pattern in the Senate or understand his ultra liberal views. He is incapable of uniting the Republican Party; in fact, he may be its demise.

February 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  7. Dallas - Columbus, OH

I'm with Ann Coulter on this one: If McCain gets the nod, I'm voting for...well, I don't think Hillary will get her nomination. I'm voting Libertarian. Anyone interested in starting an Objectivist Party?

February 2, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Chris

McCain and Hillary have much the same agenda – and much the same record for the last 10 years. The difference is the GOP will unite to thwart the agenda of President Hillary.

If McCain gets the nomination, I'm voting for Hillary.

February 2, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. Chad

If McAmnesty becomes the nominee, which by the way, even if he sweeps, he will not have enough delegates to declare HIMSELF the nominee, he will in a single day DESTROY the Grand Old Party. I know that I WILL NOT vote for that man, he is pure evil, and will not be able to keep this party together. I predict a new conservative party will emerge, and the GOP will rest in peace. Vote for Romney!

February 2, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. carole

He will never unite me into "his party". I'm a conservative...

February 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. Conservative

I would rather see Prez Hillary than voiting for Mad Man MacCain. I will not give up my conservative values to just vote for a President with an 'R' behind his name. Frankly, I am not alone and MacCain will not unit the base and therefore, we will have a landslide for the DemocRats.

Thanks MacCain

February 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. Jay

We movement conservatives will campaign for Hillary or Barry. Remember Harriet Miers, remember the Amnesty Bill. McCain will NEVER bring on the conservatives. He is toast.

Jay

February 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. Dwight Larkins

I am a former "Fred Head", and am now a Romney backer. If the GOP wants to regain prominence, it will need to return to the principles of Smaller Government, Lower Taxes, and Social Conservatism (including the defense of the traditional family). McCain does not represent this.

February 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. Cheyenne

There is a HUGE difference in being a Republican and being a conservative. McCain might unite left-leaning Republicans, but he cannot unite right-leaning conservatives. He went too far, too long as "The Maverick."

February 2, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. Beverly Kelly

I am so disappointed that the possibility might happen that I would have only the choice between Hillary or Obama and John McCain. I like Romney so much more.
    I am sad to the point of depression. I remember McCain returning to the Senate after being defeated for the Presidency and how he tried in every way to obstruct good Republican legislation out of spite. I think he ran again for the Presidency only out of spite. He seems like a man only out to satisfy his ego. Ditto for Hillary!
    I hope Romney can hold on until the convention. By then John McCain's true colors might become evident to all.

February 2, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Brian Guetig

As a conservative that has been a life long republican voter I must say that I will never vote for John McCain. There is nothing he can do to change my mind. I just hope that if he gets the nomination there will be a good third party candidate for me to vote for.

You have destroyed the Republican Party John McCain!

February 2, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. Huma Munir

God bless us the day we encounter someone ten times worse than George Bush. We don't need another republican!!! THATS IT! we need democrats!!!! I don't care which one of them will succeed but we need democrats because they all oppose the war.

February 2, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. Dave

McCain is not a conservative and has contempt for the true base of the Republican Party. He is nothing more than a Blloomberg Liberal wearing Republican clothes. Romney is the only true conservative running right now and the only chance we have of bringing this party back to it true self. So if you want a disguised dem, amnesty for illegals, taxes on fake man made global warming, limiting of free speech (McCain/Feingold) then McCain's your man.

By the way, contrary to what people think, it's NOT his turn for the presidency. It never was and he sucked as a fighter pilot and nearly sunk the USS Forestall.

February 2, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  19. Bu66ie

I bet Dems must be estatic.

As a retired veteran and life long Republican, if John McCain wins the nomination, I know that I, for one, will be sitting home on election day.

This man DOES NOT have my support. I would rather VOTE for a Democrat than vote for a wanna-be Democrat.

People, WAKE UP.

February 2, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. John - AZ

Ann Coulter has already come out announcing she will campaign for Hillary if McCain is the Republican nominee. I will not vote for McCain regardless.

February 2, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  21. john oczak

John McCain is another kooky liberal pushing the global baloney carbon tax on all of us.

February 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  22. steve

I'm sorry John, but I won't vote for you. I will not be 'united' with another centrist. I've had enough of that with Bush. I'm sick of voting for the lesser of two evils, and I won't do it any longer. I can only hope that having another Clinton in the white house will have the same effect it did last time, and people will learn just what damage ideals like that can do. This election day, I will stay at home and play guitar hero.

February 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  23. Scott

The surge did not do a whole lot?

Have you read the papers lately? i don;t think there is one single person who doesn't agree, except for you, the surge has turned this war around.

AK

February 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. Jane

McCain tries to be a Dark Lord Sith-Sidious, but he won't deceive the majority of citizens.

February 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Shawn=idiot

McCain didn't mean a 100 year war. The context was that we have troops that are in nations all over the world. We have had troops in Japan since WWII and South Korea since the Korean War. He meant it would be okay to have troop presence for 100 years not casualities and all out war for 100 years.

February 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |