February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Publius is Dead

Gee, I guess pollsters don't read blog comments. Not seeing a lot of love for McCain.

February 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Gary

McCain is a disaster and I will never vote for him. The thing that is confusing is that 66% of Independents are against the war yet they are going for McCain even though he is the most pro war candidate ever. The other big issue is the economy and McCain admits he knows nothing about it. The world has gone mad!

February 2, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Nick

John McCain is the status quo Military Economy Choice. Romney and Obama represent the cilivian industry and civilian economy. John McCain is part of the problem – 25 years in the Senate – Part of every scandal there was. Part of a disfuctional Congress. Part of the Senate Intelligence committe that completely missed 9/11. JOHN McCAIN IS THE PROBLEM – Not the solution.

February 2, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. Serena

I'd rather vote for someone else.

February 2, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. carolyn

I also will not, for the first time in my life, vote. John McCain has destroyed the dreams of too many good Congressmand and the path of our county.

February 2, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. Mary

Romney is the BEST candidate running for President...He gets my vote. McCain is a Rino who has ignored and defied the Republican base...He will never be able to unite the Rebublican party because he is really NOT a Republican...I will NOT vote for John McCain....period...Go Mitt!!! Only you can bring the USA back...

February 2, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. gerard

George W. Bush destroyed the Republican party, you whacko. Good for McCain.

February 2, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Scotty

Remember the Keating 5?

February 2, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Julie

Republicans WAKE UP!!! A no vote for a republican is a vote for the Dems
    Where is your brain--That is what happened in the 2006 election and we
    lost control of congress.

February 2, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. Voting Democrat

If he says " my friends " one more time! He's not your friend or mine! Believe me! Open your eyes and ears America !

February 2, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. John

You guys are crazy. We didn't start this war, the terrorists did. You can choose to fight, or choose to surrender and adopt their beliefs. Those are your only choices.

The Democrats are planning on surrendering. McCain is willing to fight and win. Which is better?

February 2, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. ryan

Steve-
    It's hard not to agree with you on the guitar hero theme. But I have 14 and 12 year old sons. Can we survive 4 years with ANY of them? Romney is getting squeezed out, and he's all that is left that I could vote for............ouch!

February 2, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. Patrick Henry

Give me Romney, or give me Hillary.

February 2, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Fred

If you can not see a difference between a Hillary or Obama presidency and a McCain presidency than stay home. The country doesn't need your vote.

February 2, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. Ken

The more the far right disses McCain, the more he appeals to the broad majority of the rest of America.

February 2, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Wake up AMERICA!!!!!!!! John Mcain is not what we need to run this Country. He is a fake, don't you know one when you see one?

February 2, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. DENNIS

Divine Intervention? He may not really want that.

February 2, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Nick

I'm a lifelong conservative and at this point, though incredibly, my vote might be best spent on...Ron Paul! I never thought I would say that...

February 2, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Rick

For all of you "against the war", would you rather have the fight and destruction in the US??? You are very naive about why we are in Iraq. If we pull out immeadiately like Obama wants, the entire region will errupt in a war that will spread to the US and Europe.

Keep living in your cocoon, you must feel very comfortable with your eyes closed.

February 2, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Joseph A. Cavaluzzi

God help us if he gets elected !

February 2, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. jamie

If John McCain wins on Tuesday, I will sit this presidential election out. He is vindictive, a liar ( who I think believes his own lies ), and should be running for a ticket on the Democrat side. Mitt Romney has what it takes to be President, and would have won the other primary elections if Independants had not been able to vote Republican!

February 2, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Dallas - TX

If you want more of the same vote McCain. We don't need a Bush clone, we need some kind of change in direction for this country. I'll vote Democrate before I vote McCain.

February 2, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Soj

I'm thinking that too, but not in the same context. I can believe conservatives actually vote for this guy. Bye bye true republicanism. Hello same-o same-o.

February 2, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. Chris

McCain, Huck, or Mitt all argue symantics and point out how their opponents are more liberal. Have republicans forgotten the fourth candidate? As far as I can tell the other guys can't hold a candle to him.

February 2, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. keviny az

let's get Romney in, he doesn't HAVE to win the republic nomination. come on! we beat them back with immigration amnesty, let's do it again

February 2, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |