February 2nd, 2008

McCain: Super Tuesday may end the GOP race

McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.
McCain told reporters Super Tuesday might end the Republican race.

(CNN) – Republican John McCain said Friday that Super Tuesday could mark the finish line of his party’s presidential race this year.

“Do I think the race will be over on Tuesday? Not often do I ask for divine intercession, but I have asked for that. Yes,” he told reporters on a campaign flight to Chicago. Republicans in 21 states will weigh in on Super Tuesday, February 5.

“From what we see in the polls, there is a very good chance it could be over on Tuesday,” said the Arizona senator, adding: “The sooner we get that done, the sooner I can go to work on uniting the party."

Despite his complicated history with the party’s base, he said, pragmatic Republicans will back him when faced with the Democratic alternative.

The senator also dismissed a Drudge Report story that he had met with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and weighed joining the Democratic Party. McCain told reporters Friday that he had met with Daschle at the Democrat’s request, but had just laughed and reaffirmed his GOP loyalties when asked about the prospect of switching parties.

–CNN’s Tasha Diakides

Get instant Super Tuesday results via email

Filed under: John McCain
  1. JR

Opinions on the internet don't count.

February 2, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. resimc

McCain is a warmongor.

what did he accomplished so far in congress, nothing but speech & support for G.Bush.

February 2, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. anon m us

crazy old fool...

where are the articles about ron paul?

February 2, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. tony

LIberals are jokes...Look at the media pouring money into Obamas campaign...chicanery.

February 2, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. Marsha

I have been a loyal Republican. No more. I will not vote for McCain. Won't happen.

February 2, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Bingo

H Bush did not hand over the White House for the GOP...Ross Perot did that.

February 2, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. colin campbell

McCain,

He is a man of integrity and honor. I have no doubt that he would do what he says he will do which I respect even if I don't agree with him 100 percent.

February 2, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. FATillery

While I have the utmost respect for a genuine patriot, Mr. McCain is just too old for the job. The thought of a Clinton co-presidency is too disheartning to even contemplate!.

OBAMA-HAGEL '08

February 2, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Truth Detector

If Huckuby would drop out and make a deal with Romney to get his supporters if he makes him Vice President then we might have a chance of beating McCain the Liberal.

February 2, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Wayne

I will never vote for McAwful. I will vote Independent if McRotten is the GOP choice but I've read hundreds of comments from GOPers also willo not vote for him.

February 2, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. tony

Romney is the man to vote for, not McCain. Obama or Hillary

February 2, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Mike - Philadelphia

Sorry John. No vote here either.

February 2, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. AntiShawn

Yes, McCain is horrifying. The only thing he has going for him is his war stance. Thank God he realizes this could be a 100 year war. Beyond that, he's a nightmare on everything else.

February 2, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Eric

McCain will be a continuation of Bush, only worse. I will vote Democrat before I will vote McCain. I hope Huckabee runs as a third party candidate so my vote will count for something instead of a whole lot of nothing. It's a shame the choices we americans have for a presidential candidate!

February 2, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. TONYt

YES MCCAIN ACCTUALLY DID MEAN A 100 YEAR WAR. IF HE THANKS WE CAN WIN A WAR AGAINST TERRIOST WHO HATE US, AND BELIEVE WE TREAD ON HOLE GROUND WITH OUT GODS PERMISSION. HIS MORE OF AN IDIOT THAN BUSH. GOD HELP US ALL.

February 2, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. Anwar driller

Where are former Sen. Jeremiah Denton and Congressman Sam Johnson. Why haven't they endorsed McCain. Because They are 2 true conservatives and former cellmates of McCain at Hanoi Hilton. Did McCain abandon them like he has the Republican party? Romney gets my vote.

February 2, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. Nashville, TN

I will sit out before I would vote for MeinCain or a dem. Paul 08!!!!

February 2, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Andrew

BIG MAC!!! 2008

February 2, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. new media

mccain is a kook who wants to stay in iraq for 100 years, where will this money come from? china?

70% of americans want us out of iraq (which by the way had no link to 9/11 and no wmds) which makes mcinsane a fringe candidate

February 2, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. dave

Gee Oregon City David, I didnt know that Bob Dole was President.

I will say that McCain can finish the job of ruining the Republican Party that Bush started.

February 2, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. Keith Crawford

Vote Ron Paul in 2008 and end the insanity and take your country back.

February 2, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Ron08

If this looney wins. He will bring down our country to its knees. Make sure he doesn't win, "my friends".

February 2, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Harry von Zell

I'm ready for the Bloomberg / Lou Dobbs ticket.

February 2, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. anthony

I think censorship of candidates is very wrong. The positive message is that the world is watching the american election and aren't stupid.

February 2, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. Arthur

I'll never vote for John Mcain. Show up to vote though, conservatives are going to have to oppose him at every turn. that means electing conservatives to state local and congressional seats.

February 2, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |