February 3rd, 2008

Romney predicts conservatives will stop McCain

(CNN) - Mitt Romney predicted Sunday his party's conservative base will rally behind him on Super Tuesday in order to prevent John McCain from winning the Republican nomination.

"What I have to do is continue to see what's been happening the last few days, specifically that is conservatives across the country are saying, 'whoa, we have to get behind Mitt Romney,'" he said on CNN's Late Edition.

Full story

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. Nancy Phx. AZ

I have lived in Phoenix AZ all my life. In AZ we know who McCain is, HE is NOT conservative!!!!look at his record . He has deserted the Republican party in AZ and in the country. We do not want McCain to be President . We know him. He manipulates people all the time. People are afraid to speak up with how they feel.
    He is very powerful and many owe him favors. He is a mean spirited old man. If he is the Rep. nominee then all the dirt from his past will be exposed and there is plenty. By the way A vote fro Huckabe is a vote for McCain. People study the issues.

February 4, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  2. James Mo

I haven't decided who I will vote for, but I think people accusing Romney of "buying the election" is rediculous. Think about this. Our economy is sinking. Mitt Romney is pouring his own money into this economy faster than anyone else. He is paying salaries, renting vehicles, motel rooms, buying meals for his staff, purchasing advertising, etc, etc, etc. All of that money is going into our economy. It is not going to China, which is where most of the money from the "stimulus package" will go.

February 4, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  3. Trang, Fremont, CA

If McCain is the best Republicans can come up to represent them, I do feel bad for them. Romney is the successful businessman and Mike Huckabee is a likeable guy with consistent conservative values and able to explain things very well to the common folks, but McCain leads and he wants perpetual war that can bankrupt this country. I have to scratch my head if I am a republican. I think both Obama and Hillary can take McCain – if he keeps up his war drums, which is the only strength that he think he can claim because he doesn't know that much about economics. We are pretty much immune to Bush's scare tactics, so if they want to use the war to scare us, it ain't working this time.

February 4, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  4. earl illingsworth

You know one thing I've learned in my lifetime is that a republican could care less about anyone or anything other than himself/herself, and their pocketbook. Yea, they preach about the war ,and fighting for our honor, but it's only to keep their wealth and power(selfish motivation)secured! Rich Man's War ,Poor Man's Fight is still the motto for these parasites. While on the subject of moral superiority, these clowns ban abortion for the poor,and never atone with contraceptives for these forsakened souls,but their families and children wouldn't bat a eyelash to abort if it was their daughters(ill-gotten child).Finally ,on the subject of taxes,fiscal responsibilities and punishment? I'll mention it only once, it occured twenty so years ago, but it could be as if it happened yesterday. The book called "Den of Thieves", with it, principle four characters,"Milken,Boesky,Siegal,andLevine"basically brought this country to it's knees. The best and brightest ,all Republicans and big contributers to the GOP,made ,S&L Crises,and "ENRON"&"WORLDCOM"etc. small by comparison,to their greed and malfeasance. They robbed the public of Billion's of dollors and the government let them all out of jail with a combined total ten years!Milken worked for Ted Turner when told not to by the government,Boesky went to Russia, then onto Germany ,as an advisor to their banking(POST BERLIN WALL), and walla we have a meltdown in our countries mortgage banks,stock market, and value of our dollar. Coincidense? That's why any of the so called conservatives make me never want to vote,and Cloutier certainly doesn't help,backsliding on Limbaugh, oh ,the horror! Romney's buying the election, and McCain's," Flip-Flop Shuffle", makes one wish we didn't need a "CEASAR"?

February 4, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  5. Mark C, Asheville NC

I must say all the crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth going on in the right wing of the GOP is the most entertaining thing I've ever seen in politics. HILARIOUS! It's ALMOST enough to make me support Hillary over Obama, to keep the boo-hooing going for four years. Almost.

Thanks for the entertainment guys. Keep it up until November at least!

February 4, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  6. americanwarrior

So one should not spend their own money? They should obtain funds from special interests then pay them back when they are in office. Wake up America. Go to Miami or Puerto Rico and you will see carpenters, ambulance drivers and other blue collar jobs making $6 an hour. Why you may ask? Well there are illegal employees on every corner. Go to the hospitals and see what is going on... How can anyone think that Amnesty is a good idea? Americans and our country need to cut back on spending. We are going into a tough time and our leaders spend like we are going into a boom. The only person who is an expert of change management is Mitt Romney. Huck needs to get out instead of doing his best to save McCain.

February 4, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  7. Chris in Silicon Valley

I have to admit... I used to like McCain over Romney, but I am liking old Mitt over McCain as time goes by. The only thing that makes me lean toward McCain over Romney is that Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, etc. want Romney.

McCain looked old and acted like a child in the last debate.

Don't lose heart, all you Romney fans! He is neck-and-neck w/ McCain here in CA, and we have 173 delegates!!! That would even things up real fast.

February 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  8. Ken

Go Mitt !!!

Mitt has serious momentum folks – get behind a serious conservative.

Mitt has my vote and support!

February 4, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  9. Brent

There are Senior Advisors to Huckabee's campaign who are encouraging him to get out of the race. Of course, he isn't listening – his EGO is too BIG.

February 4, 2008 06:05 am at 6:05 am |
  10. mb

If Mitt Romney had a nickel for every time he changed positions on an issue, he would be a rich man.
    Honor, Truth, Duty- This is John McCain.

February 4, 2008 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  11. Ainars

Trang, Fremont, CA
    Well also Romey and Huckabie support war and surge, so be honest and don't blame only McCain. McCain is prolife and support constructionist judges, so he is also conservative – he is not change his position like Romney did.

February 4, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  12. frank gambuzza

You know with the exception of Lou Dobbs you people suck with you interveiws Where was Barac and Clinton last election when the american people told Owr government No amnisty and owr security cheif Churdoff said he didn't want to see illegal aliens getting drivers licences Well I. one 40 yr democrat going to vote republican I want to see clintons health plan but this really pisses me off that both dems are not lisining to there constiuants and you morons don't bring this up during the debates get a job espesially wolf Blitser he's the worse

February 4, 2008 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  13. Stan

Wonder why no one brings up the McCain scandal.... can we remember
    Keating Five !

February 4, 2008 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  14. Florida Decides

LETS ALL JOIN

THE STOP MCCAIN EXPRESS

AND DERAIL HIM AND THE LIBERAL MEDIA TOMORROW.

TUESDAY WILL BE MITT'S BEST.

February 4, 2008 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  15. Will

The only real conservatives still running in the republican primary are Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul. Of all 4 candidates, Romney would be my last choice. I hope he doesn't win the nomination.

February 4, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  16. W.D.Russell, East Liverpool, Ohio

While 'liberal' McCain was in VietNam, 'conservative' Romney went to France to party to avoid the draft.
    That about says it all.

February 4, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  17. Dobby

Vote for the Conservative that can win. Vote for Mitt!

A vote for Huckabee is a vote for McCain. And McCain would be a disaster.

February 4, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  18. leezee

I love watching you conservatives fighting amongst yourselves! go McCain!

February 4, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  19. Has

Go Mitt.

Hope the conservatives get behind you, can not seriously see McCain running anything.

February 4, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. Steve Blaine Washington

Lots of people have been talking about McCain's temper. How many people would trust someone with McCain's temperment with his finger on the nuclear
    trigger. How many nations would step up their readiness for launching a counter attack with McCain's finger on the trigger. Certainly Russia and China.
    Think long and hard about this.

February 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  21. Nance

Mitt has my support as well...

As far as I am concerned...we have had McCain for the past 30 years...what's he done for you lately? He's part of the PROBLEM..NOT the SOLUTION!

Go Romney!!!

February 4, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. DH

Don't be fooled
    If it quacks like a democrat, votes like a democrat, spins like a democrat then by gosh it is a democrat. McCain is a democrat in republican clothing
    Watchout voters.
    He should be on the demo ticket

February 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. DH

Hey earl (do u have your own show?)
    I bet I can guess your profession
    You are a job for life governemnet employee.
    Wake up and see where the rubber meets the road
    Get out of Marin County and see the world
    The demos like an uneducated populace --then they can be lord of the ding dongs.
    Make a payroll and you will have an epiphany!!!!!

February 4, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |