February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Robert, Tulsa OK

Regarding polls favoring Obama: If anything, there is a bias the other way for two reasons. One, polling usually happens by phone (not on the street) and a lot of younger voters don't have home phones, relying on cell phones exclusively. Thus, their opinions sometimes get missed. Two, polling takes into account the likelihood of the person voting. Younger voters are considered less likely to vote, so they don't count for as much. This election has shown that younger voters CAN come out in large numbers. I think Obama will win in places like California because the youth and independents will come out far beyond what the polls give them credit for.

February 4, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. denise

I see on the front of your Super Tuesday story where you say the republicans and the democrates gear up for Tuesday (my words , not exact quote) You have people holding signs for Obama....Could you be more obvious?
    Maybe if you reported the negatives of Obama for more than a nano second and stop running distorted remarks and bashings of Hillary, the playing field would have been more level and people could vote on real issues instead of your sensationalism

February 4, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  3. Gonzalo

Wolf Blitzer devotes an entire paragraph(the intro I might add) to Obama. I haven't decided between Obama or Hillary but one thing that is really turning me against Obama is the obvious bias there is. Someone needs to a do a research study on this and see how positive stories vs. negative one's the news media's are putting out regarding the candidates(esp. Hillary and Obama). Many people rely on news media to get their information about a candidate and when it is biased it is doing voters an injustice. Please be fair CNN, if you are going to talk up Obama do so for Hillary, McCain, and Romney(the major players in the race). We as voters have a right to balanced reporting, not what seems to be on the verge of Obama propaganda.

February 4, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  4. Elore

Why didn't Wolf interview Hillary? You can clearly see that CNN is pushing its weigth in favor of Obama.

The best politcal team is a very anti Clinton team. If you have a team to analyze how the campaign is going, it should be a balanced one . That is if you want to mantain your credibility.

February 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. Cornelius

I'm an outsider. I live in Germany and follow the primaries very closely on CNN. You could call me bias on either candidates.
    But it is quite true, that "the best political team on television" gives me the impression that they report most of the time on Obama.
    Has CNN publicly endorsed Obama lately. Have I missed anything?

February 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. Raphael, Los Angeles, CA

Everyone knows Wolf is not a fan of Hillary but why he is so blatant about it is another story.

At times during the debate, he would even take swipes. Maybe I should be on FOX Fair and unBalanced. What's the difference these days?

February 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

The current uncertainty concerning the Constitution

The Constitution is not open for argument or discussion; its meanings and purposes are direct and pointed; the Constitution was drafted so not to allow confusion or fault; it is a universal document meant for all. The Citizen, as one, can petition for a change to the Constitution through their District Federal Congressional Representative. The party however, has privately re-written and so cast down the idea of a listed and universal set of instructions. The many quasi-amendment policies, not ever ratified to the Constitution, now rule the business and rule over the Members of the many Federal houses; the parties keep to themselves and build upon the understanding of these quasi-amendments so allowing a dissention of the Constitution. Once those who drafted the Constitution held an ideal that anyone can, with that single document alone, be able to reform or lead the Union after a fall. The Question now remains: but, not to which parts of the Constitution have been defiled, but what parts still remain sacrosanct?

February 4, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Bobbie

I have been watching CNN since you began. I don't watch Oprah or helen or judge judy I watch you. I am now on Social Security disability but I make sure I can afford
    cable so I could get CNN and Cspan.I am a political junkie.I understand you want to be No 1. You are Fox is crap always has been We report you decide(That you are republican or a total moron).So this is from someone who never misses CNN
    I watch an average of 12hrs aday including weekends yes I have no life true.Please stop being like FOX I have been watching MSNBC. You are and I am being totally honest endorsing Barack Obama.Now I think he is a great guy but I want CNN not the Obama Network News thats not what I am paying for.Please get back to you report we decide meaning you guys are real reporters not mouth pieces. I know you want this to go on till the conventions but we will get sick of it by then please stop trying to mix it up for ratings sake.Long time CNN supporter.Keeping You Honest.

February 4, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. Mike M.

Obama's attitude of being "right the first time" bothers me. If he wins, he will be more concerned about defending his policies even when he makes a mistake.

February 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. Carol

The reason you haven't seen Hillary is because she couldn't find the time to meet with CNN when they requested.

She was too busy turning on the water works again.

February 4, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. Peter 4 Obama!

Vote Obama.

February 4, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. Sally

Wolf, you know that Ron Paul is the best canduidate, then Mike Huckabee. Unfortunately, Obama is an empty suit.

February 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  13. gene

Roz-Thanks for the Survey USA tracking poll. The zogby polling is terrible. They do the internal for the repiblican party and many of the candidates. You can not trust their numbers. 53 to41 sounds about right, because of strong support in the hispanic community. Great article in The Mercury News. This is a newspaper in the San Jose area. . The article was dated 2-1-08. Reporter was doing one of those people interviews and asked a 25 year old asked him a question about Obama running, he asked "O-who", thinking about it he said" Ithink he needs to come and eat a burrito here".Aricle further states that at a Los Angeles trade college Obama had a rally that was billed as an outreach to latino voters. THe only glitch? MOst of the crowd was black. " Si se puede" (yes we can) when Obama shouted to the crowd they responded in english. .

February 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. Dr. NO

CNN needs to be revamped. They have certainly lost their credibility. Both CNN and MSNBC. I have found that I have to go to other stations and websites. I find ABC more even-handed.

HILLARY 2008 unless the media chooses otherwise.

February 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  15. Richard

I am supporting Obama. Hillary is good, but just too divisive and unelectable in November. Obama-'08 – YES WE CAN!!!!

February 4, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  16. truth

Why do I need Oprah Winfrey to tell me who to vote? She is biased for obvious reason and she is NOT smarter than me. Why do I need Ted Kennedy to tell me who to vote? He is the biggest Washington old guard and he has been getting a free ride on the Kennedy name. (It is funny that Obama happily accepts Ted Kennedy's endorsement. So his talk about "changing Washington" is just a campaign slogan.) Why do I need Maria Shriver to tell me who to vote? She married a Republican happily!! I make my judgement with my own head. I actually vote with my head, not with emotion. Hillary 08!!

February 4, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. gairy

hey wolf–I AM A JAMIACAN- and majority of us here support HILLARY CLINTON-SHE IS PHENOMENAL-PLEASE CUT HER SOME SLACK–ITS NOT FAIR–WE NEED TO BE MORE HONEST IN THE MEDIA–WE MUST BE GUIDED BY ETHICS AND STOP BEING SI BIASED--

February 4, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. Alice

Obama would be a continuation of over 200 years of male rule – that doesn't seem like change to me.

February 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  19. Liz

Obama was right the first time when he voted agains the war in Iraq. Obama can bring change and unite our country through hope and inspiration....
    Well, what happened the day that congress voted for the war in Iraq? Where did those words of hope and unity go? What happened that day Obama? Cat got your tongue??? hmm? Or did it just not work?
    Oh, but lets rank on Hillary, she doesn't "play well with others", the Gop doesn't like her. I wonder why? Could it be because all these years she as been fighting for change all along, against people who don't want it?
    Hello people, wake up!!
    Obama admited in the last debate how similar their policies are infact his words were "we both believe this/that" and he repeated this numerous times.
    The only difference between the both of them this is that Hillary came up these policies FIRST!

February 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  20. Teresa Campos

Reviewing the latest news about Mrs. Clinton and her references to Mrs. Obama directly targetting character, i believe that Mrs. Clinton is afraid that her opponent is NOT Obama but rather his wife, but then again, she has already worn those shoes, so, what is she afraid of? Why can't she stick to the issues rather than the person? She knows very well that sticking to character and persons is not her strength with her husband's past history.

February 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. Robert Finn

Just wondering if I should be concerned about the number of time CNN shows
    a particular candidate. Just a co-incidence ? or is CNN becomming the next
    Fox Noise.

February 4, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  22. Casey

My comment : " Is it a wonder that CNN and parent company donated 1.6 million to the Bush campaign" stayed in moderation for hours. It still hasn't come out.

I am a teacher, and I use these instances to show them examples of media bias, and modern censorship. My question to them is "who do you think CNN wants to win the election?" Any takers as to who they guess???????

February 4, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. tomdavie

Survey USA is one of the very few who actually just poll.

They are NOT CNN, ABC, NBC, and whomever else has thrown their hat in there to promote Obama.

Survey USA actually COUNTS people who pre voted.

They dont just ask 20 year old men who they are voting for. They dont just ask people in san fransico. They dont just ask 2% latinos. They dont just ask 50/50 men women.

they dont just take samples in illionis. They take samples everywhere.

So, HYPE aside by ever major media who TAPDANCED their polls, Survey USA comes very close to being the spot on when the votes are actually counted.

February 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. JohnS

obama2008

February 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  25. JohnS

I LIKE THSI POST:

"Obama secured endorsements from: Janet Napolitano, Democratic governor of Arizona; Kathleen Sebelius, Democratic governor of Kansas; Claire McCaskill, Democratic senator from Missouri; Tim Kaine, Democratic governor of Virginia, and Ben Nelson, Democratic senator from Nebraska.

What do all these states have in common? They are all states that George W Bush won twice. If you’re the next generation of Democrat, trying to appeal to the centre of the country, Obama is your candidate. Clinton takes the party and national politics back to the polarised red-blue ideological past. The danger of this is that if you are someone in the middle – on the purple edge of the red-blue divide – then the polarising nature of Clinton might mean that if she were the candidate you might vote Republican. Obama is the salve for this syndrome."

obama2008