February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. PV

I used to LOVE CNN, and so did all my family members, but grudingly, we are switching to Fox news and other channel. I don't support either Barack or Hillary yet, but it is quite obvious where CNN stands. CNN always claimed to be an UNBIASED media source, but it is clear that it is pushing Barack Obama's agenda. In the last one week, I cannot tell you how many people I know have complained the same about CNN, and over 60% surprisingly were Barack's supporters. They are amazed at the negativity that CNN has about Clinton, and everything that Obama does is so "amazing". Either CNN needs to come out and support Obama OR change its reporting style. There is a huge danger of loosing lot of audience over this issue. Hopefully, this comment wont be "moderated" but submitted on time.

February 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  2. Paul, Atlanta

No one has to vote.CNN just knows that Obama will win, delegates or no delegates. Just ask Gloria Berger, or Wolf or the talking muppet Roland Martin.

February 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  3. 50% hate Hillary

Hillary has nearly 50% negative rating in this country.
    Why in the world go with someone that will definitely polarize the electorate and energize the Republicans?

I don't care if it's her fault, or Bill's fault, or talk radio's fault or nobody's fault.
    It's a reality and the simple truth is that 4 or 8 years of more Clintons will only result in more partisan fighting.

Obama at least represents the possibility of real change, of unifying the country, of actually getting some things done.

Yes We Can

February 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. Jim

Obama has much better judgement then Clinton. Hillary is just another George Bush.

February 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. J D Stewart

Did anybody just see Lou Dobbs spew on immigration? He's a whack job!
    Dobbs is to immigration as McCarthy is to communism.

February 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. John

I have stopped watching CNN from 7PM to 8 PM because of Lou Dobbs. Do we really HAVE to put up with him after that with his specials!!! CNN needs to do something about that. I was hoping to watch some intelligent commentary on tomorrow's elections with Blitzer & team. I guess Olbermann looks good now.

February 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  7. Bryan

No one has polled me! I am a 38 year old, married, black male, in Georgia. I will vote for Obama in the Primary. If Hilliary wins the nomination, I will definitely vote for McCain in the general election. Definitely!

February 4, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  8. Dennis

Just a word of advice out there to anyone who may be waivering in their support for Obama in light of scandal today... THIS IS ANOTHER TYPICAL CLINTON TRICK! DON'T LET THEIR DIRTY POLITICS PREVAIL... PLEASE... THEY LEAKED FALSE INFO THE DAY BEFORE SUPER TUESDAY SO HE WOULD NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT TIME TO RESPOND, DON'T BE FOOLED BY THIS UNTRUSTWORTHY CLINTON CLAN, SHE WILL GARNISH WAGES FOR HEALTHCARE..... THAT IS TRULY UNAMERICAN, PLEASE WAKE UP PEOPLE

February 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  9. J

Seriously all canidates except Ron Paul and Mike Gravel sicken me. I can't understand how people believe in these fake canidates who never follow the constitution and don't have any understanding of the Illegal Federal Reserve and IRS. When will people wake up? Watch "Freedom to Fascism" on google. This movie is a must watch for every American Alive!!!

February 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  10. Young Liberal

If Clinton wins the nomination I can't wait to see what happens when she tries to pull her "experience" card against McCain!

Obama 08

February 4, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. Sally

Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee 08

February 4, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Charlie, Texas

I AM TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT OBAMA!! why does cnn continue to put down Clinton? I didn't hear any of you people complaining when the country was doing so well in the 90's... You guys act as if we are putting another BUSH in office... which i think Obama would be more of a bush than an helpful change. He talks good and aviods questions. I am voting for hillary just which Texas had its say tomorrow instead of later!! GOOOOOO Hillary!

February 4, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. Mike

Is CNN network the new FOX network for Obama.

February 4, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. NN

CNN HAS ALWAYS BEEN BIAS TOWARDS OBAMA . THATS A FACT BECAUSE I'M A FREQUENT WATCHER. SHAME ON YOU CNN.

HILLARY 08

February 4, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. tonia

I agree with Joe.
    If unexperienced Obama wins primary many democrats either stay home for general election as I am going do or even vote republican

February 4, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Teresa

All you Obama supporters better switch gears and get behind Hillary , She is the one that will know what to do on the first day . Those Kennedy women are influenced by OPrah. If it wasn't for her begging for support they would not be there. Incidentally , I don't watch her show any more.

February 4, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Jazz

If he does not support the war, why did he vote to fund it? Who gives money to

causes they do not support? Obama has the advantage of 20-20 hindsight.

Who wouldn't make the right call in hindsight? The republican machine has been

prepared for either democractic candidate from day one and you know it. The

DNC and the media will not be able to tie their hands for Obama. The Clintons

have a record of beating them and you know it. THINK about it!

Vote Hillary ? Yes I did! You can too!

February 4, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  18. McCAIN's 4 Gay Marrige

McCains support of Gay Marriage MEANS HE IS SCARY

PEOPLE ARE JUST FINDING OUT ABOUT THE REAL MCCAIN

February 4, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  19. United

It is so interesting that a few weeks ago the CNN was labeled as Clinton News Network. Now, everyone is whining about Hillary not having her fair chance. Come on people... If you see something you don't like (facts that CNN is reporting) you scream bias.
    CNN is far the best reporting in the mainstream media. Go to Fox, or others, or just use the red button on the remote...
    The sad thing, I believe, that American voters like to see America as a world leader but when someone comes to unite and consider different approach to the rest of the world than bullying, he then becomes too week. This mentality lead us to Iraq and other potential dangerous situations around the world. We need to win back the world's respect with respecting them and have a leader who unite us with that. Get off of your pick up truck and leave your gun for the law enforcement, and get out to vote for Obama.

February 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  20. Dave R

We do have some serious issues. . difficult issues. . .to deal with in the next presidency. One of the serious issues I no longer hear about is how the next president will deal with Social Security. Have I just missed it, or is not being discussed any longer?

February 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  21. Suzanne Shaw

During the intro 4 years ago for John Kerry at the Democratic Convention as I listened to Barack Obama, I like so many others felt blown away by his eloquence and charisma. He"s a great orator & compelling personality but his constant refrain that there is "only the United States of America" and no blue or red states just sounds so simplistic and idealistic to the point of being unrealistic. No one can deny there are long held differing views between Democrats and Republicans throughout our country esp. with the issues of the economy and taxes, immigration and national security, etc. which continue to be divisive. It is more real to acknowledge that the wide divide of opinion between the parties does in fact reflect prevailing sentiment to be largely found thoughout the entire United States of America. Just how does Obama intend to Change this fact? Obama also says he will address or change the underlying problem that brought the war? Just how IS he going to stop the the "underlying" Holy Jihad problem?

February 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. crocodile tears

no one really gives a sound reason for voting for clinton, why do you believe in this woman who could not get elected senator in her home state? do you not understand why she sat by her husband as he had sexual relations with other women? you are the spineless citizens that expect someone who sat next to a president to have any type of role in the presidency besides dressing the whitehouse in linens...and who sends out her husband to campaign dirtily for her....is this who our leader is supposed to be? mandating healthcare? who are you kidding?...all the phony tears for your sympathy?

OBAMA '08

February 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. Deni

After making phone calls all day in CA as a volunteer for Hillary I just have to laugh at how slanted CNN is. C'mon guys have a V-8 and straighten yourselves out the poll propaganda is just that. Out of the 500 calls I made today only 2 said they were voting for Obama 5 were undecided over 100 hung up or were Republicans 25 couldn't vote 80 were answering machines and the rest said GO HILLARY and many of those calls said they had at least 2 in the household with same response. So CNN keep up those polls you must be taking in the bathrooms because they need to get flushed.

February 4, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. Jon

Wolf, I will not forget this biased coverage of this race. You guys at cnn are cheer leaders for Obama. We need real unbiased coverage of this election. You are hurting the American people by what you are doing. Could you just stick to reporting the facts rather than editorializing please?

Your biased coverage is motivating Hillary's base. You are vastly underestimating her support.

I cant wait until Hillary destroys Obama tomorrow. I cant wait to see your faces.

February 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. eri

Vote Hillary if you want REAL change from the current situation in the US!

February 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |