February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Charlotte

I can't say I blame Ophama for rallys, rather then town hall meetings. He doesn't fair well in that arena. At a rally you prepare a speech, give it and thats it. He does not think quick on his feet. Come to think of it, has he ever had a town hall meeting? All I ever seen or heard about are rallys. Reminds me of high school, they have them to get the student body hyped up for the game. Hummm? No questions, thus no wrong answers. When your only forte is speaking, it is the best forum

February 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  2. Scott Larsen

I love your coverage, Wolf Blitzer and CNN, of this primary and caucus campaign season. Keep up the good work.

Could you and others at CNN remember that there are over 6 million Americans living overseas – approximately the size of Washington State – who will have the opportunity to vote in the Democratic Global Primary? Our voting begins Tues., Feb. 5 and goes until Feb. 12.

Thanks, Wolf, and CNN.

Scott,
    American/Democrat living abroad
    Vancouver, BC

February 4, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  3. Paul

I'd like to think that Obama's campaignn has skillfully manipulated the press to get all of the free coverage over the past few days. There's some of that going on for sure, but much of the favorable and excessive free coverage he has received is due to CNN fawning over the candidate and treating Hillary as if she's just yesterday's news.
    Hillary is running an impressive, historic and valiant campaign, too. She's a terrific candidate with the backbone and experience we need to get things done in this country. Go Hillary!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  4. Lee

Young liberal – I can tell you what will happen – she will "kick his tail all the way to the gates of hell" (as McCain so clearly put it). She will eat him up and spit him out. As a "young liberal" if you have never been up against a strong woman – I hope one day you do face it – you will not have to ask that question ever again.
    Women have been held down for too long and this is a strong one that can lead the country – for all people right now. She has already been through the fire and just like a female bear fighting to protect her cub she is fighting for us. And – she will chew those republicans up and spit them out – mouthful after mouthful.

Obama can take over when she is through and he is more seasoned to fight the battles of grown ups.

February 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  5. Deni

Wolf do I need to use your name or is it just that I'm a woman but I've never made it through the moderation stage. Here's what I wrote that is still being moderated.

After making phone calls all day in CA as a volunteer for Hillary I just have to laugh at how slanted CNN is. C'mon guys have a V-8 and straighten yourselves out the poll propaganda is just that. Out of the 500 calls I made today only 2 said they were voting for Obama 5 were undecided over 100 hung up or were Republicans 25 couldn't vote 80 were answering machines and the rest said GO HILLARY and many of those calls said they had at least 2 in the household with same response. So CNN keep up those polls you must be taking in the bathrooms because they need to get flushed.

February 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  6. Karen In Rural SW Tenn

My family is in such an upheaval over this election. And it’s a primary! The husband will vote for Hillary. His sister in CA will vote for Obama. My husband is actually mad about that. My daughter says she wants to vote for Obama as well. (She’s an almost 20 year old in college.) I personally am on the fence. I like Hillary and Obama. Do I hold it against Hillary that her husband couldn’t keep his mouth shut? Do I hold it against Obama that even though he may not agree with his pastor/mentor who he thinks highly of does indeed support someone that scares me? This whole thing doesn’t even factor in my highly Republican side of the family. One of my brothers (they all live in Central FL) is a Colonial in the Army. He is such a staunch Republican that he doesn’t know what to think of his liberal sister.
    Just to help you understand me, I’m a 40 year old stay at home Mom. I work part-time for my husband’s business. My daughter is working on a double major in Spanish and Journalism. My husband’s sister is also a stay at home Mom.
    Tomorrow, when I walk into my polling location, I truly have no idea who I’m going to cast my vote for. Not a clue! I know that I WILL vote. But, I’m undecided until the last minute. Is there anyone else out there like me?

February 4, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. Lance

All I can say is that I hope McCain picks a young and competent VP. He will be 80 if he serves 2 terms. But then again, it doesn't matter. He has been too close to Bush with the war. And for that he will never be elected. 65-percent of America thinks the war in Iraq has not been worth the cost. And some of you on here obviously don't understand that Hillary and Obama are almost the same on all the issues. The only difference other than experience is that one of them is a good motivational speaker.

February 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  8. dick in WI.

hey Wolf when are you and your network going to come clean and tell the Amreican public that all the questions on the Democratic debate from politico.com were predetermined and that WE THE PEOPLE really could not ask the questions we wanted to ask? I still don't know if these canidates will uphold the constitution and all of its ammendments; specificly where do they stand on the second ammendment?

February 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  9. john

OBAMA WAS RIGHT FROM THE START

OBAMA 'O8!!!

February 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. yns

I sure do hope this primary election is not decided on Tuesday, Feb. 5. I live in OHIO and I want my vote to count. I cannot vote until March 4. Why is that? Should we not all be able to vote on the same day? It is this way during all the national elections and by the time I get to vote, half the prospects have dropped out! Something needs to be changed!

February 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  11. Brenda

Gee, no mention of Hillary in this entire article. Your bias is clear Wolf. Based on you interrogration of Hillary at the debate all I have to say is there used to be fair reporting but that has gone out the window. It is all about Obama. Shame on you. I used to think you had integrity.

February 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  12. Cris

Jack Nicholson endorsed Hillary Clinton for president where is the buzz on that CNN???

Go Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  13. Shun

If CNN is powerful enough to influence how people vote....

Hilary must not be a "cool" as some people claim.

Why do Hilary Fans think Americans are stupid?

February 4, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  14. JohnS

Hillary should NOT even be on the short list for OBAMA. Indeed, there are other BETTER candidates out there: Edwards, Biden, Richardson… with stronger MORAL virtues. Hillary knows this; so she cannot but keep CRYING—BIG SISSY!!!

The Brits and other nations that have had women politicians are probably laughing at our CRY BABY!!! I really do not care how people try to explain this away. For someone with such a great experience, this is truely shameful!!!

February 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  15. RP

Experience Counts!!!!!!!!! Democract for McCain!!!!

If HRC looses the Democratic nomination, Mr McCain should win to be the President of United States of America. As an immigrant, I have always loved this country, and all its ideals. I don't believe that Barack Obama walks the walk as he talks the talk. You may argue that he does, but I have no proof. What I need to see is a candidate who has acted as s/he has said, and the Clintons are the only ones who acted as they have said. Mrs Clinton has taken up causes of children, women, education, healthcare, etc. Obama may be a great speaker and he has inspired me before. But when it comes to hard work, beating the opposition to achieve the common man's good, the only person to not WATER IT DOWN to achieve mediocrity is HRC. We know what HRC faces because of Bill's personal issues. How many men have not looked at other women? Is that the only criteria to reject his wife, a mother, and a competent Senator? Obama has to PROVE HIS STONES before he can be nominated. The only people that are going to work against this country to nominate this novice to the highest post in this country because of his high flying rhetoric are the Kennedys. Thank God for the Kennedys that they have lot of martrys in the family but I dont want this country to be martryed. We need to be winners. If Obama wins, and his presidency turns out to be like Jimmy Carters or even worse, then we will not need the pundits or CNN to declare this 21st century to be devoid of America. Thanks to the Kennedys!!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. Alice in Florida

DD – Wolf is so easily impressed by idiots – do you remember how impressed he was with himself because he had a meal with BUSH?????????????

Wolf just doesn't care for women, I think

I think Wolf swallows

Not that I care, except when it's hypocrital, as in certain Republican circles........

February 4, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  17. Garry

Lets get it straight, The republicans want to run against Obama becasue they know that they can beat him. He is untested, and the repulican machine will tear him apart. You think that Bill Clinton has been nasty just wait if the republicans get a chance. He won't be able to use his race as a crutch or cry foul like he has with Hillary. Speeches with HOPE AND DREAMS and no substance will not work. He will have to have actual plans on how he could lead the country. Remember it takes positive plans to win votes in a actual elections and thats what Hillary has. She has been attacked before and came out on top. Last but not least I heard Obamas wife say today that she didn't know if she could support Hillary if she won the nomination, well its been said that Obamas related to chenny and agreed with bushs ideas once he got into the senate(fact check his record) so I can see where she would try to split the democrates and vote for Mccain. If your husband can't win(God help us if he does) ruin it for the rest of us who need help and a voice in the white house.

February 4, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  18. Kim Lockwood

I am troubled by this repeated reference to Senator Clinton's 35 years of experience. Senator Clinton spent 15+ years of that experience working at a prestigious law firm representing corporate clients. Now, I do not have anything against being a corporate lawyer. This is especially true since I spent a stint doing the same thing myself. What I do object to is the suggestion that those 15+ years constitute experience getting real change for people. This is not accurate.

While you can do some pro bono (and Senator Clinton did) working as a corporate lawyer, your fundamental duty is to your paying clients (those corporations). The role you play as a corporate lawyer is to keep things as stable as possible for your clients. You are neither seeking change, nor working for it.
    There is nothing wrong with practicing as a corporate lawyer, but such practice should not be sold as bringing change to Americans.

Food for thought.

February 4, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  19. Ella

Good,
    the less mentioned about that Clinton woman the better.

February 4, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  20. Heidi

Obama is a cheap facade of a candidate. He is all talking points and NO substance.
    1. It is no problem to find people that will say that they hung out with him and smoked pot when he was a young man. If you think the republicans will let his drug use just go by the wayside you are as high as Obama was when he was smoking all that weed.
    2. Obama has made deals to better himself. If he made one deal, he made others and they are going to be found and exploited. If you think the swiftboat debaucle was bad, you ahven't seen anything yet. He will not be able to say "Oh this is a race issue, why are you going after the poor black guy?" No one will care. The gloves will be off. His opponents will have no problem with exploiting confusion about his religion or the color of his skin either.
    3. Hillary Clinton has survived Karl Rove's attack dogs. It doesn't get any worse than that. There is a reason that they say she is covered with teflon. She is bullet-proof. If there had been anything that she could be busted with, she would have been busted already.
    4. Believe it or not, Hillary Clinton has been in politics and been dealing with social issues much much longer than Obama. Cinton was a high powered lawyer while Obama was still getting B's in high school. I am not looking at her transcript, but I doubt very much if she ever received a B in her life. How did Obama get into Harvard with a B average earned in his fancy private hawaiian high school? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that his father is a Harvard man as well.
    Serving up the status quo would be yet another man of privilige in the white house. I want to see what a brilliant woman can do with this horrible mess left to her.

February 4, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  21. Rose

I look forward as well to Hillary wiping out the competition. I can't wait to hear the spin. This is a second post to the same question CNN. Could you give me a break?

February 4, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  22. Marla

CNN you should be ashamed. You are all star struck! Obama is a fine man I am sure, but not ready to be the President of the United States. You have not scrutinzed his record or his history to the degree that you have scrutinized Hillary, much less
    called him on the carpet for his "half-baked" answers to anyone's detailed questioning. I used to be a seven-day a week viewer...I think I need to take my
    business elsewhere.

February 4, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. yns

As far as the media choosing favorites, they do! I hope the intelligent people of this country realize that and make up their own minds on what the candidates say. I am. I am looking for substance and for details – not inspiration. I am looking for solutions and proactive ideas – not inspiration. Right now, Hillary seems to be the one who has the substance! Go Hillary Go!

February 4, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. chris from california

I have been making calls for the Obama campaign in California. His site is so overwhelmed that the servers are jammed.

February 4, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. lilarose

What I DON'T love is that there are still millions of us who can't vote for the present candidates, and surely not now for those who have already dropped out.

Only certain people who live in certain states approved by each party are allowed to vote.

So much for a democracy.

I would love to hear Wolf explain this, but he isn't interested in what commoners have to say.

February 4, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |