February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. harriet feigen

what does this "waiting for moderation" mean? is it like waiting for godot?
    or the bus? could it be something similar to the "Oscars"? or brushing your teeth with a virgin toothbrush?

would it be something akin to getting graded? or abraded?

similar to waiting for the sound of water beginning to roil down the toilet after you guys jiggle the handle?

and how come Kansas Democrat didn't have to await moderation? what was on that post NEEDED to be moderated!

February 4, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. gershon

I'm a Hillary supporter and a regular watcher of the Situation Room. I don't believe the coverage is biased at all. Right now, Senator Obama and his campaign are making news with their high-profile endorsements and high-energy rallies. We'll find out tomorrow how this translates into votes. CNN is going where the news is. That's their proper role.

As for Ron Paul and his "viability" - the man is running an internet fund-raising machine. He's figured out how to make running for president a profit-making venture. He's gaming the system and laughing all the way to the bank. The fools who send him money would do better to play their state lottery. At least the proceeds are put to some good use.

February 4, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  3. COLLECTIVE WILL

wow EXECELLENT debates and very entertaining

February 4, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  4. j.r.

I'm sure this won't be posted, I always get put in "moderation"....However, at least FOX admitts to being bias....The cable news channels have it for Obama and McCain....you did this in N.H. also, and you were wrong.....Obama took his name off the ballot in MI, then had the nerve to call my home over 23 times in a week to get me to vote uncommited....so the super delegates in my state could vote for who ever they wanted too....Hillary won, so she will get the super delegates....and if Obama wins the primary, for the first time in over 30 years, I will cross party lines and vote for McCain..If my vote wasn't good enough for him to start with it won't be good enough in Nov...Then laughing at all the voters in FL that went to the polls and voted...saying it didn't matter, there were no delegates to be had....Hope the 1/2 million people that voted for him will remember he laughed at them if he's on the ballot in Nov..I am personally sick of the news media telling me who I'm voting for, can't wait too see all your faces when Hillary wins tomorrow...it was great when she won N.H. just to see the sick look on all your faces....

February 4, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  5. fabian

Obama will be the LEADER the world needs....

People of the world for OBAMA!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. SP

Do not elect community organizer to be our President – the shortest route to Success!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Ambition and rhetoric have almost won over ambition and hard work. We are a nation of first timers – first time to create capitalism, first time to give equal rights, first time to give women suffrage, first time to give land to who claims rightful ownership, first time to send a man on the moon, first time to give the right to rebel against government to citizens, and so on... these are all the DOINGS of doers, not of speech writers, not of powerful pastors, rhetorical speakers, BUT actual people who went to work at the dawn of day and toiled to make this country defeat the Soviets, defeat the idealogues of communism, and create the greatest nation on earth. We are about to loose it if we select obama as our candidate. we will have lost the can do attitude and would have given into the rhetoric of the world. Go to any third world country – everybody talks idealism. There are some great speakers but hardly any doers. We will get one of those!!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  7. R.A.R.

Everyone seems to think tha Obama is gonna be immune to the Republicans attack machine, but you guys really need to pay attention. I saw Pat Buchanan on another show(wont say which one) and he was saying that they were gonna be able to tear Obama apart. Now I'm sure there are actually some that honestly think this is like reverse psychology, but Pat isn't too much with the way the GOP is moving and he isn't very dumb at all. I dont agree with him on a lot of issues, but the guy knows his politics. Do you all honestly think that they don't have the dirt on Obama, thay have enough to bury all these speeches and 7 months to do it. No specifics and only words will not work on the GOP. You really do need someone who can fight against them. If you're biased already, you'll just dismiss all this and say something to the advancement of Obama and his ability to give you hope. But I have had Hope, I've had it for a long time..what the country needs is help and all the speeches and all the pretty packages won't beat the Republicans.

February 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  8. d

Fire Wolf................

Thank goodness this will be over tomorrow, with a Hilliary win..

I will no longer read these blogs. CNN stinks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  9. Kris

CNN, why are my comments in moderation and then disappear?

Please Obama supporters. You want the truth. You're voting for speeches, not policies. That's fine if you like generalities. I vote on issues and policy. The fact is in Obama's short time he has voted present more than 100 times, pushed the wrong button 6 times, was in bed with Rezko, bought his house $300,000 under the market price during a housing boom, lied to Iowa voters about his Exelon deal, etc. Now, why don't any of you mention that?

Go ahead CNN, keep me in moderation. You love to do that.

February 4, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  10. Dixie

The rise of Obama is proof positive of the dumbing down of America. This man has absolutely nothing to offer a country in trouble.

I have been waiting for 8 years to celebrate the end of the Bush era Republican control but I will vote for any Republican candidate before I would vote for Obama. I have not read one valid argument for why Obama even deserves consideration. Can America really be that dumb...again?

February 4, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  11. Alice in Florida

When Hillary wins tomorrow, Wolf and the rest of the media will have a yucky look on their faces....

They should have spit instead of swallowed Obama's stuff.....then again Wolf looks like the type who would REALLY like to swallow Obama's stuff – Wolf just kinda has that way about him, doncha think? Obvious when he gushed over his delicious meal with W – also when he showed his true colors by calling Hillary naive.............

Oh, well, who ever said the talking heads were smart? They swallow Brittany and Paris by the BUCKETLOAD

....Amazed they haven't barfed by now.......

February 4, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  12. Coby

You pitiful cynics. Maybe the reason Obama is getting so much positive coverage is because he's a positive person especially compared to Clinton, and thats who the american people really want. Reporters are supposed to be unbiased but if there is something going on in their hearts and minds that they cant help, who cares. Take a look and figure out why everyone is going to Obama like a magnet.

February 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  13. Cliff Homesley

CNN at one time was a respected news organization. Now they pander for Obama clearly as part of a larger machine that hopes Obama will win the nomination and pave the way for a GOP victory in the fall. No question about it.

February 4, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  14. JOE

Clinton fixed us once after the 1st Bush made a mess of things and owed Japan our souls. Now Bush No. 2 comes along and we owe it all to China now. It took a Clinton to fix us in the last recession, and it will take a Clinton to fix this one. Young voters don't rememebr the last recession, that's why Obama goes after them. Insurance companies want Obama to win because they know they can run him over. They won't do this to Clinton. GO HILLARRY

February 4, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  15. freddy

Super Tuesday will decide the Republican nominee and the next president of the U.S. – senator John McCain. Mark my words: John McCain is the next president of the U.S., no matter who he'll be running against, CLinton or Obama, but more likely Obama.

February 4, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  16. W. Jones

I guess america is just not ready for a woman President, the media can't get past being intimidated by the thought.

February 4, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  17. frustratedatcnn

I AM GLAD TO SEE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT NOTICED THAT CNN HAS ENDORSED OBAMA. OBAMA GOT LARGE SOUND BITES OF SPEECHES ALL DAY YESTERDAY, CLINTON GOT A FEW SECONDS. OBAMA GOT HOURS OF FREE TELEVISION ADVERTISEMENT THAT WENT OUT TO THE WHOLE WORLD. FOR WEEKS, EVERTHING ABOUT OBAMA HAS BEEN POSITIVE AND EVERTHING ABOUT CLINTON HAS BEEN NEGATIVE. CNN IS NOT UNBIASED MEDIA. I STOPPED WATCHING CNN AND NOW I WATCH FOX. THE SEEM TO BE MORE UNBIASED.

February 4, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  18. Miss Wendy, PA

To Blackhouse:

In case no one informed you Reverse-Racism is JUST as bad as Racism.....and apparently you also do not know that sexism has existed since the beginning of time.....long before slavery. Your choice should not be based on Obama being Black or on Hillary being a woman. Would you still vote Obama if he was a white guy spewing factless information? Playing "uh duhhhh" about his questionable history? Haven't we had enough of that in the past 8 years???

Better a candidate that has MADE mistakes BECAUSE she HAS the experience to have made them. Speeches and hype make up elections....but when a President is elected, all the speeches are done, all the hype has gone, you're left with logical decisions and other World Leaders to contend with. I personally do not think that the Arab world will take kindly to a man who in their eyes is a TRAITOR to the Muslim World by leading the most HATED nation in their eyes. His speeches and smiles will not get him far either with our enemies nor with our allies.

People hate Hillary because they FEAR Hillary. Whether you LIKE the Clinton name or not, it is a KNOWN name across the world and THAT is what nations respond to.....whether it's "right" or not. If we were in happy kumbaya land where everything was wonderful than Obama would be great, but i'd prefer a candidate that can take a hit and KEEP GOING.

Hillary 2008

February 4, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  19. JAMES

YOUNG PEOPLE – CHECK OUT YOUR HISTORY – CLINTON REVERSED ONE RECESSION AND WILL REVERSE THIS ONE WE NEED HRC NOW OUR COUNTRY NEEDS THIS ASAP NOT AFTER OBAMA LEARNS THE ROPES – A POWERFUL WOMAN IS MENTALLY STRONGER AND SMARTER THAN A MAN IS – THAT'S A FACT AND I'M NOT A WOMAN
    HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT

February 4, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  20. Sue

CNN's media bias against Hillary Clinton has inspired me and others like me to vote for her and work for her compaign.

CNN = ALL OBAMA ALL THE TIME

February 4, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  21. stan pitts pa

no more dynasties, no more bush-clinton-bush dynasties, no more dynasties lets take our country back!

February 4, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  22. COLLECTIVE WILL

Lou Dobbs rivals hannibal lecter genius

February 4, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  23. jill

GO HILLARY! She's an excellent Senator and excellent official. Right now she's giving an outstanding, detailed account of how she will lead this country.

February 4, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  24. Philip

Where's John Edwards when you need him? He had the percentage points to work with Hillary to overcome Obama.

February 4, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  25. tess

my theory is you big networks owned by big business want obama to win. the enemy of my enemy (hillary) is my friend. your owners know that if hillary wins , party is over. she'll make real changes for ordinary people at your expense. you know obama will be butchered by your owners once he wins the dems. to install another repub. hillary has the record of beating the repubs. she can take the punches and end on top. you're treating obama as a sweet lamb right now to be butchered later, so to speak. god help him if he ends up as our nominee.

February 4, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |