February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Joe

I am a man and I live in Canada. That proves that I am unbiased and my opinion is worth more than your opinion. Hillary is by far the best candidate. It doesn't matter that she she is a divider; fighting is good. I especially like how she constantly speaks slowly and say 'you know' so that she can buy time to calculate what she is going to say next. And most importantly- as she always says- she has 34 years of experience being president already so eight more won't hurt.

February 4, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Phil

I have become totally disillusioned with CNN. If I post something pro-Hillary and critical of Obama it never gets in. Surprisingly the same post gets in at Fox News without any problem.
    Here’s the bottom line CNN I will make it easy on you.. No one has ever polled me but if it’s Hillary against McCain I vote for Hillary, if it’s Obama vs. McCain then I vote for McCain. No One will know this because you won’t post it.

February 4, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. against the whiners

I've been viewing these comments a bit for a couple of weeks. It's amazing, the only people I ever see whining consistently and in numbers are Clinton supporters. And they are out in full force tonight. Surprisingly full force. Almost like they're nervous.

As an independent, I'm not swayed by this whininess, but it is annoying. And off-putting.

February 4, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. Nick

Don't give up on Ron – this message to all posting their comments here. "Ron Paul’s strong second place finish in Maine, in which he beat John McCain, is proof that this race is far from over,” said Ron Paul campaign manager Lew Moore. “We’ll continue to battle for every delegate in this wide-open race for the Republican nomination.”

In the presidential preference poll, with 70 percent reporting, Ron Paul is in third place just two percentage points behind John McCain. However, the Maine preference poll is purely a beauty contest, and in the actual election of state delegates the so-called “frontrunner” McCain is far behind Ron Paul.

February 4, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Vincent

Obama '08! Hilary cannot beat McCain! Obama can!

February 4, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  6. Mike

Is CNN network the new FOX network for Obama. I can't believe the bias CNN shows Obama. I am not really for Hillary. I am a Independent and I don't know who I will vote for yet.

February 4, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  7. Phili

It's very funny to hear Hillary supporters claiming Obama's nomination would mean Republican victory. All the polls that I have seen so far indicate Obama having a greater margin of lead over any of the Republican contenders. That mainly is because Hillary is perceived as a polarizing figure and does not attract many independents as Obama would. As to the media coverage, I was actually getting sick and tired of seeing Bill Clinton so often as if he is running for precidency while the other spouses were getting no coverage. If anything, Hillary's campaign had better coverage and enormous institutional and network advantage. Now that her seemingly inevitable nomination is seriously challenged by a compelling alternative, her supporters are crying foul.

February 4, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. ramno

wolf

I had lot of respect for you before couple of months .But after seeing you making CNN as O(bama)NN I just lost all the respect and I am not even watching cnn form the last few days..You can report sensations news but don't just try to run Obama's campaign. You can hate Hillary but you are news media supposed to report news as it is not your interpretations.

February 4, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  9. CNN is BIASED

Mr. Blitzer,
    Why don't you keep you personal impression of things to your own self instead of showing us in bold letters how biased you are and how biased CNN has become in it's coverage of the presidential election! It's a shame!

February 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. dems

A couple of things:

I am happy to see more people are now engaged in politics because of Ron Paul. Many people now think they believe in something because of his politics; however, Libertarian government will not work for the United States. Yes, that is the way we started as a nation, but we were not a world with over 300 MILLION people back thdialectical I would gladly cast my vote for him if his idealistic world were real. He is far more "liberal" than the dems on foreign policy and a Ron Paul nation would be extremely vulnerable. STOP CAMPAIGNING FOR AN IDEALISM YOU DON'T TRUELY UNDERSTAND.

That said–the media not giving him attention is unjust (he did raise 6 million in one day) perhaps they too are scared of a Ron Paul nation.

NOW. Obama needs to get the nod from the dems. If Hillary is the democratic nomination we will have a terribly ugly and dividing election in 08. THAT IS NOT WHAT WE NEED. Yes, Hillary is more experienced and quick to answer very challenging questions–but the fact that half of the nation hates her for no reason will not go away. If Obama wins this race we may finally have the unity that our divided nation so badly needs. We really do need Obama right now. I love Hillary, but she is just not what we need.

Vote yes to change, Please.
    Obama '08.

February 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  11. brian

Nicole said: At least the Paul supporters remain in their parents basements, expelling the virtues of their candidate over the internet, versus at the polls.
    Tommorow will be eye opening for many Paul supporters, when they return to earth from Planet Paul.

Dear Nicole – We welcome you to take the red pill, just as Neo did in the Matrix. Come over to our side, hear the Message, and realize that the wool has been pulled over the sheeple's eyes for far too long by the media and the Council for Foreign Relations. Or, if you like, live in ignorant bliss by taking the blue pill. It really is much easier, but not near as rewarding.

February 4, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. Chelsea, C Falls, MT

The uncertaintity is exciting. Even though I'll die if Mitt doesn't win, I think more people will vote if there is no clear candidate.

February 4, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. charo

oh and for the people on this blog who mentioned Bill's infidelity to Hillary, Obama thinks he's a Kennedy, the reincarnation of a president that was one of the biggest womanizers in the oval office of all time. The guy had audio sex tapes! At least Bill didnt have his girl sing him happy birthday on tv in front of his wife and the world. So drop it already.

February 4, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. dave

Wolf,

How come CNN doesn't even mention that Hillary is having her town hall meetings right now?

CNN being bias? No way!

February 4, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  15. cheryl Arizona

I totally agree that the bias media against Hillary and Obama on a daily basis bringing out some rich person endorsing him proves to me that I picked the right person to vote for in Hillary Clinton. In the polls they say wealthier people are voting for Obama why do you think that is? He is good friends with Oprah. It seems Shriver didn't want to be left out of the Oprah circle so showed up to endorse Obama. Not fooled by slick speeches. I want a person that can be attacked on daily basis by media and rivals and still stand up and face the world like Hillary. This bias has made me more then ever to get Hillary elected.

February 4, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  16. D

I wasn't sure whom I would vote for before your media pumped up Obama (I was planning to stay out of this election). He's not the right candadate to me. I cannot accept someone who's pumped by the media machine to be my president. How could we expect someone, who couldn't deliever when he's a senator, could act differently as a president? That would be a joke. So I'll vote for Hillary. I'm not democratic, so I cannot vote in the primary. But if it’s Hillary against McCain I vote for Hillary, if it’s Obama vs. McCain then I vote for McCain. I'll defintely ask all my family and friends to go with me. You can count on that.

February 4, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  17. NYC, New Yorker, NY

If Obama wins nomination I will vote McCain.

February 4, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  18. Frank Tew

Wolf Blitzer is the very worst moderator of political debates that I have ever seen and I have been seeing "debates" since the Kennedy-Nixon debates in 1960.

PLEASE leave him off of the debates. He was a much better war correspondent.

February 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  19. Mike

I keep seeing on my comment, your comment is awaiting moderation, in other words you will put comments on the blog as long as you agree with it . Thanks but no thanks!!

February 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  20. Geri

This CNN bias is getting out of hand! An interview with your "fair haired" boy the day before Super Tuesday. You and all the CNN reporters are way out of line. Especially you and Cafferty. How can you sleep at night knowing you are doing a great injustice to several of the candidates?? This race is more about Obama & Mc Cain...there are a few other people running. I watched another channel & they were showing the recent polls and the CNN poll was the only one that had Obama out front. Strange isn't it.??? Lets bring it out that Obama wasn't in the senate when they voted on Iraq. He was in Illinois trying to get elected?? He didn't have to work, he could dso other volunteer things because his wife worked and made the money. She is very negative but you never say anything about the things she says. You and Soledad just had watering mouths when she did the interview. Get real, if Clinton loses, you can take all the credit. I'm sure this will be in moderation forever because most of mine stay there then leave abruptly.

February 4, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. Gael

I've never heard such whining as from the Hillary Clinton supporters. I'm for Obama, but would enthusiastically support Hillary if she wins fair and square. But how you can criticize CNN for giving Obama too much and too favorable coverage, do you watch any of the other cable news channels? C-Span? Hillary had practically been sworn in a couple of months ago, according to these same news channels. They interviewed Hillary and Bill, not Obama. He has spent very little time talking to the pundits; maybe as he's surged in the polls, the talking heads have become more interested in him. But if you listen, all the speculation is how Hillary will do against McCain, like it's obvious that she's going to win.

It's high time the pundits starting giving this man credit. He not only started out running against 7 other excellent candidates, including Hillary, but now he's running against Hillary and Bill Clinton, best known for their formidable campaign "machine." And notice how many Hillary events are covered versus Obama events. And neither of them get close to the coverage John McCain is getting.

So suck it up and get over it. Hillary is and has been the front runner, substantially ahead in many states, according to polls, and she's the pre-ordained Democratic nominee. All the press coverage has been about her.

Don't begrudge Obama his share now that he's turned out to be a strong competitor. And, by the way, if you don't think they ask Obama tough questions, then you aren't listening. They ask him the same questions as they ask Hillary. He answers the questions directly and openly, with appropriate detail. Open your ears and start listening.

February 4, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. j.r.

Hillary vs. McCain = Hillary

Obama vx. McCain = McCain

GO HILLARY

February 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Lovely

Phil,

Obviously during you have not been watching television

February 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  24. nana

I think Hilary clinton should win because she has more experience than Obama .

February 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. George Crawford

Hillary Clinton can take a hike. She bought her senate seat and now she's pulling every trick in the book to get the Dem nomination. She is as big a crook as her husband and I will not hesitate to vote REPUBLICAN if she gets the nomination.

But the tide is turning against her as Obama has closed the gap. I project an Obama nomination. In all my years of voting in these elections, I can not recall any candidate that filled me with enthousiasm UNTIL Obama hit the scene.

Go Obama...Cream Hillary! Make her cry again...for real this time!

February 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |