February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Geo

GO HILLARY GO
    This is unreal,

February 5, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  2. Michael

I bet if Hillary Clinton pissed standing up....Mr. Blitzer might vote for her. The guy is obviously biased towards women. I wonder if he sister...err...wife...left him for another woman and now he hates all women...?!

February 5, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  3. Charles, San Antonio, Texas

I’m tired of hearing the stupid remarks from members of the media. Asking Hillary to admit she made a mistake when she voted to allow Bush to use the threat of force. We all know we use the threat of force to get other countries to cooperate. We just never had someone in charge that was so reckless. I’m tired of hearing Obama say he was against the war from the beginning. I too was against the war. That doesn’t make me presidential material. And like him, I didn’t have to make the decision. I don’t think he has the guts to make any real decisions, judging from his voting record. I don’t think too many of her critics would have said to the president of the United States – No we can’t allow you to threaten Sadam.

February 5, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  4. G from MN

I'm all for Obama. I think he has a better stance on the issues. Also keep in mind that in a face off against the presidency the conservative base along with a huge portion of independents will side for the republican side if Hillary is the democratic nominee. They hate hate hate Hillary. Barack stands a much better chance at drawing a larger portion of the vote. Also he never voted for the hugely unpopular war which will give him a edge as well.

I think most democrats think that with a Clinton in the White House that it will somehow magically go back to the way it was in the 90's. However the economic boom during that period of time was from the advent of the computer and internet evolution not from Bill Clinton.

Today the world is in a much worse state of chaos which I don't think she will be able to get a handle on. I think Barack is a better decision maker and has more common sense. Remeber if Hillary was in office instead of Bush I wouldn't doubt if we would be in the exact same place as we are right now. She did vote for the war no matter how much she tries to down play it.

OBAMA 08

February 5, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  5. Derek

You Clinton supporters really need to stop with the "experience" argument. Of Hillary's "35 years of experience", 15 was as a corporate lawyer; that is 14 more than she spent working at the Children's Defense Fund for those of you who are counting. The rest of her experience was principally as either the first lady of Arkansas or First Lady of the country. Her only claim to fame from that "experience" is the dramatic failure of Hillarycare.

Obama was 23 when he began working and since he has been a community organizer, president of Harvard Law School, a civil rights attorney, a constitutional law professor, a state legislator and finally a federal legislator. He's been a legislator for longer than Hillary! Now tell me who has more "experience".

The experience argument is hollow, particulary when all that experiece results in bad judgement. Wrong on Iraq; wrong on Healthcare (mandates are inherently bad), wrong on drivers licenses for immigrants; shall I go on?

I'd encourage you to think for yourself as opposed to parrotting whatever Hillary's campaign sends you via email.

February 5, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  6. Terry

I watched the replay of Hillary's townhall. She had excellent responses based on thorough research. She has impressive skills. She status up to date on current issues in various states. She even remembers conversations with people on the campaign trail and provides examples of what americans are telling her. She is someone that is listening to the amerian people. Its very inspiring to know that she is listening to us rather than just using a bunch of words.

February 5, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  7. Nancy

CNN is very bias. All the news stations are pro Obama but especially CNN. They have a so called CNN Contributor named Roland Martin who supports Obama and he is on all the time as if he is one of the reporters and no one else in any of the other campaigns Rep or Dem get the air time this guy does for his candidate. When Obama has a rally CNN shows it almost in its entirety but when someone else does they don't show it or if they do it is very brief or they will tell you to go to CNN live on the internet. One of the actual reporters today on another news station said something that I just could not get my finger on about Obama that I did not like and they said it, "he does not go into details as to what he would do on issues" and this is what turns off a lot of people he is just a really good speaker who makes people believe what he says.

I also notice in his body language that most of the time he stands behind a podium like he is not touchable not like the other candidates on both parties who walk around with a mic in their hands so there is no barrier like a podium.

I also thought it was very presumtive of him to say that Hillary's people would vote for him but his supporters would not vote for her. I know quite a few that would vote Republican unfortunatly if he gets in.

February 5, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  8. Prince 4 Obama

got vote obama he has the changes American need.

February 5, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  9. Mike

I think it's funny how Obama supporters like Phili, say they're tired of seeing Bill Clinton campaigning for his wife, but no mention of how much we're seeing Ted Kennedy or Oprah for Obama. Let's be real people!

February 5, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  10. Prince 4 Obama

get up and vote!

February 5, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  11. Mike

Actually, have been reading a lot of blogs and even a lot of Obama supporters have noticed the biasness of coverage against Hillary.

February 5, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  12. Mike

CNN-

Cover Nothing but Obama till November!

February 5, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  13. Michelle Matthews

Everytime I make a positive comment about Hillary Clinton I never make it past the moderator. I am seeing that this is happening to a lot of her supporters. Why all the Obama coverage?? What happened to freedom of speech? Hillary supporters are being deleted and we are not allowed to question this. This is tarnishing CNN"s reputation. Wolf thought Obama was pumped. We need a candidate with a clear plan to make change not poetic words. Vote Hillary 08!

February 5, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  14. Dee

The media is afraid to confront Obama on some of his comments about Hillary. People might accuse the media as being racial.
    All he's work at is civil rights issues. He can only be bias I can follow what he says. he seem to beat around the bush and says very little as to what exactly the changes will be.

February 5, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  15. Tony

Wolf, I do not understand what CNN has against Hillary? I have been in support of her for many years and feel that she is the best qualified and knowledgeable to run this country. I do not want our president to just now how to make a great speech but they need to know how to run our country! I feel that best possible candidate would be Hillary! We need her to clean up this mess we are in!

Hillary 08!

February 5, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  16. Anonymous

I think it's pretty clear you're being balanced when half the comments here say you have a bias toward obama and the other half say you have a bias towards clinton. Hah!

February 5, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  17. citizen_c

America is at a crossroads; a moment in time that manifests itself but once or twice in a lifetime. We are called to make a challenging decision between charting a new course into undiscovered country, or turning the wagons back in the hope that we will find the richer pastures we once roamed.

The cynics would say that the road ahead is too rocky, too unpredictable. That we would do better to play it safe, that there are wolves out there waiting at every turn. But I was not raised in a country of cynics.

I was raised to believe in a country where everything was possible. Where you could dare to dream the unimaginable not so that it would disappear in the morning light, but so that by that light you could build a new reality. I was raised to believe that a country united was an unstoppable force, and that the United States was a beacon of light proudly leading the world into the future.

I believe in America. I believe in Barack Obama.

February 5, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  18. Pattie

Question: why is Huckabee still running... he has no chance of winning the primary... is McCain paying his way to continue so he will bump Romney??? Why is no one questioning a motivation.

I am a republican.. if McCain gets the nomination.. I will vote for a democrat that I like not one that is in disguise as a republican. I will not vote for McCain under any circumstances. He is not president material, no negotiating skills and bad tempered.

February 5, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  19. Ethan

Un-friggin-believable. We are 24 hours from the biggest primary in ages and CNN posts "Blitzer: I love the uncertainty". As if we needed yet another clue at how pathetic CNN has become.

February 5, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  20. Cisco

I love Obama and his rhetoric, but behind that smooth talk, there is no concrete plan that has convinced me to vote for him. He is always talking about hope and change, don't we all want that? How is he really going to change Washington, when he is going to be working with the same people he has been working with these past years.
    What type of change will he bring when the likes of Ted Kennedy and co are all alligning with him. He says that we should not go back, but he forgets the fact that if you have lost your way, it is sometimes necessary to retrace your steps in order to take a better route.
    Regardless of what people may say, Hillary is the right democratic to lead this country. She is smart and firm, but kind and generous. She has spent all her public life trying to help improve the lives of the poor and needy, regardless of what conservative media would lead us to believe. Please give her the chance to put this country back on track. To regain our status in the world without appearing weak.
    People today are all crying down those that voted for authorizing the President then to invade Iraq if necessary. Given the information available at that time, and the painful attack on this nation. Those that did not vote for or support the resolution then were either indifferent to the security of this country, unpatriotic or just plain cowards.

February 5, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  21. saire

No CNN is not bias. They are the media. Maybe his story is more exciting and not the status quo.

PS: Amy Holmes is annoying and that is said mildly. Ask your senior political analyist.

Tired of looking at Amy Holmes

February 5, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  22. Julie

Republicans might scream that they hate Hilary, but behind that curtain when they alone, they are rational and sensible people. They will choose McCain over Obama and Clinton over McCain and they will make sure that their friends won't find out they voted for Clinton. It happened in upstate New York. Hillary is pragmatic rational choices and older voters will vote for her. Come November, Obamania will be gone and young voters will be getting drunk on the college campuses. Well, Plato said democracy was dangerous, and Americans have choosen a number of iditos as their presidents. Nobody in Europe or Middle East will talk to Obama. It will be really funny to also watch Republicans beat him up if he wins the nomination.

February 5, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  23. Mike M.

Considering that polls are conducted with a sample size between 800 to 1200 people, that is hardly accurate.

February 5, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  24. Rhonda

Again CNN and Wolf violating equal airtimes laws. Where is the Clinton interview??? I know you won't publish this, b/c you can't stop kissing Obama...
    Gee with all the FREE MEDIA Obama is getting, if he does not tie or win, it will show that you guys still can't brainwash those of us who actually use or brains.

February 5, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  25. deb

Vote Early, Vote Often (at least 2x this year), Vote with your Brain instead of your Heart, and Vote with Enthusiasm. Take a friend, even if his vote cancels yours:)

February 5, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |