February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. DM

Remember the saying, be careful what you wish for. Be careful Clinton lovers before you get exactly what you wish for. More scandal, more corruption and more cover-up. Were you sleeping during their last reign? There will be a time for a woman as president, just not this woman. Her tears show weakness and weakness isn't something our son & daughters in the service can afford and I'm a mother of a marine in Iraq.

February 5, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  2. Terry

I saw a comment posted here from a young 19 year old supporting Hillary and commenting that Obama is going to loose the national election. I wish these young adults would do there homework and learn history. Even my 20 year old daughter knows about the scandals and immoral actions of these two. Thank god there are still some people around to recall the Clinton years and how morally bankrupt there were to our country. I am not perfect myself I voted for Bill Clinton and George Bush during there elections. Go Obama.

February 5, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  3. Los Angeles

I feel that those who endorsed Barack Obama are totally selfish and only in their best (self-) interested. It's so obvious....why can't voter see this! I am voting Clinton for a real change and for a better future!!

February 5, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  4. CNN = Obama

I hope voters see thru the 'corporate endorsement' that CNN and MSNBC have recently given to Obama & I hope the 'people' nominate the candidate who actually HAS stood up against such special (corporate) interests.

Hillary 08 !!!

February 5, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  5. Sheila

I dont understand why people keep arguing about this election...Either way, whoever wins the election,poor people will still be poor and rich is rich...come on...I don't care whoever wins, I still need to work anyway to live...Politics in America is the same politics in other countries...corruption,lies and power, this all the what it is inside politics...

February 5, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  6. Stan Harhut, Anchorage, Alaska

Wolf, all America knows HILLARY will be the Democractic candidate for President, and will to the 44th President, withSenator JOE BIDEN, as SECOND in Command Bet the farm on it WOLF...HILLARY CLINTON///////JOE BIDEN 2008........

February 5, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  7. lia, san francisco

Greatful Dead for Obama in San Francisco... Wow! This guy is a ball of fire, you can not stay indiferent to his wave of electricity...

February 5, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  8. Dem

Phili : "It's very funny to hear Hillary supporters claiming Obama's nomination would mean Republican victory"

Gov. CA endorsed Mc Cain. Gov. CA was a friend of Ronald reagan. Obama praised himself as Ronald Reagan. The wife of Gov. CA endorsed Obama.. Go FIGURE and do the math.

February 5, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  9. OGA

I would like to know if Gloria Berger is a reporter or a politician campaigning for a press secretary position under Obama.

February 5, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  10. seee

Go HUCKABEE !!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  11. Sheila

I dont understand why people keep arguing about this election…Either way, whoever wins the election,poor people will still be poor and rich is rich…come on…I don't care whoever wins, I still need to work anyway to live…Politics in America is the same politics in other countries…corruption,lies and power, this all the what it is inside politics…

February 5, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  12. Think before you vote

The only reason the democratic contest appears close is that CNN, Fox and MSNBC are pushing Obama so much.

It is a downright disgrace.

As someone who was open to both candidates I am now moving towards Hillary.

Why?

Obama for all his talk – is just that – talk.

The support from the likes of this organ have made it less likely that I can support him – for someone who is supposedly changing the establishment he sure as hell has the establishment right behind him.

February 5, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  13. Think before you vote

"Shun February 4, 2008 8:38 pm ET

Why do Hilary Fans think Americans are stupid?"

As the old saying goes "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time".

Obama is doing that right now and American voters will wake up and regret it if he is chosen.

February 5, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  14. Ida Lula

I have lost all respect for Blitzer after the way he conducted himself during the California Democratic debates. What a self-important gas-bag.

February 5, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  15. CNN CA

Shame on Oprah!
    Shame on CNN!
    CNN want sto stop me to talk but I will keep talk!
    Is it the change Obama wants or CNN wants?

Hillray 2008!

February 5, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  16. Dusacre

ABC = Any 1 But Clinton

February 5, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  17. FELIPE

I DON'T GET IT, I AM VERY SURPRISED HOW THIS SENATOR IS GETTING AWAY WITH SO MANY FALSE FACTS. JUST LAST NIGHT OBAMA MENTIONED ELECT ME I WILL GET HELP FOR SCHOOLS AND UNDERPAID TEACHERS AND ALL THAT, PLEASE FOLKS LOOK AT FACTS HOW CAN HE CHANGE AMERICA IF HIS STATE OF ILLINOIS 39 STATE OUT OF 50 IN EDUCATION, ONLY 32 PERCENT OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS GRADUATE, BLOCKS AND BLOCKS OF HOUSE ARE SET FOR FORCLOSURE, I MEAN I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS MAN, IS DRAGGING EVERYONE IN THIS INSPIRATIONAL CRAP AND PEOPLE ARE NOT LOOKING AT FACTS...........

I AM CHOOSING A CANDIDATE WHO IS NOT PERFECT BUT AT LEAST SHE ADMITS IT, AND TALKS ABOUT ISSUES NOT FALSE HOPES

GO HILLARY

February 5, 2008 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  18. James Recto

CNN is doing it again..and again..and again..It will not be for long, once the voters decided to unanimously voted for CLINTON tomorrow, CNN will finally stop promoting OBAMA and they will switch to CLINTON. American voters made a big mistake by electing Bush back to the White House and they are about to do it again with OBAMA. Clinton has what it takes to run this country back to prosperity, regain the American Dream which was taken from us by this current administration. You vote for your future – Vote for Clinton!

February 5, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  19. Rebecca

Wolf..... Please stop promoting Obama..Americans can make up their own minds.
    Thank-you.

February 5, 2008 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  20. FELIPE

I AM EXTREMLY WORRIED IF OBAMA WINS, HE IS CLEARLY NOT READY, AND HE GIVES ALOT OF FALSE HOPES, I CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH HIM. I CAN SAY THAT BECAUSE I JUST SAW HIM IN TWO DIFFERENT VENUES AND HE CLEARLY CONTRIDICTS HIMSELF ALOT AS WELL.

February 5, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  21. get a grip

Obamamania reminds me of the Carter days. Carter was and is a wonderful human being. He ran as an outsider cleaning up the mess/corruption in DC after watergate. Only problem was that he did not make a very good president. I was just out of college but I remember those times and it was not pretty. President Carter had a tough time making a decision. I truly am inspired by Barack but I really don't know that he is up to the job. We don't need on the job training for another President especially following bush and the mess he's made. I have to go with Hillary. When all is said and done, she will have the backbone to make the tough decisions.

February 5, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  22. Denise

HMMMMM .......no interview with Hillary???? Doesn't surprise me!
    I hope she told you to all go to hell.

February 5, 2008 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  23. Carrie

To the Hillary supporters,

Stop playing the victim, like she does. For the past 4 years, Hillary has gotten all the TV coverage on whether she was going to run or not. For the past two months, Obama is getting equal coverage because he is moving up in the polls and giving Hillary a challenge. Even if Obama doesn't win, I am so proud of him doing well againest the status quo. THE WORST THING THAT OBAMA COULD DO IS BE HILLARY'S VP. He is to talented and special.

For change, unity, and hope for American, vote Obama!

Wolf, I can't wait until this is over!

February 5, 2008 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  24. Denise

Obama was only right ...after the fact. In 2002 he said he was on the same side as Bush. Then later said he didn't know how he would have voted. I think he decided against the war only after he decided to run for president. Now the more he talks about opposing the war, the more he believes it.

February 5, 2008 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  25. Angelina.Hayata

Blitzer, I have been watching situation room everyday at 11.00 PM in UK time. I would like to congratulate you and your political team for best political programme your covering to us.

I hope American people are going to make right choice today, I have analysed news around the World and I have realised the World is crying for PEACE . We need new president to be modest, intelligent, likeable and diplomatician. I genuinely think OBAMA has ability to bring PEACE to the World , and make America as SUPERPOWER again.

Thanks .