February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Linda

Wolf,

I'm still voting for Edwards. He suspended campaigning but did not withdraw. Which means, he can still wins delegates because his name is still on the ballot. By winning delegates, his voice for America will still be heard. VOTE EDWARDS TODAY!!

February 5, 2008 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  2. jean

the only experience I hear that Osama { i mean Obama } has, is in the streets of Chicago! It is so clear who is the right choice! Hillary has the experience we need to lead our country. Listen America! Do not be deceived..

February 5, 2008 05:32 am at 5:32 am |
  3. Josh

If you think CNN isn't biased at all, look at the links on the right side of this page. There's a place to talk about presidential candidates... except Ron Paul.

You can even talk about RUDY GIULIANI. I mean come on. I seriously doubt if Ron Paul was put in the same untouchable light that some of these other leading candidates are put in, this election would already be over.

For all of the people knocking Ron Paul, I mean honestly I don't know how you can take an hour or two to get to know him and say he isn't by far the best candidate. He is the only candidate that supports what America really stands for. FREEDOM and INDEPENDENCE. These are exact opposites of BIG GOVERNMENT and SOCIALISM.

I know I am probably speaking on deaf ears, but honestly if you haven't given Ron Paul a fair chance, you really should look into it.

I know he is a huge long shot with huge odds staked against him, but so were the Giants on Sunday.

February 5, 2008 05:35 am at 5:35 am |
  4. concerned

Watched :Hilliary on the Hallmark station last night. Great program. She gave her views on how to change the country. We will see if CNN covers that today. I agree with all the bloggers here – CNN is soooooooooooo biased it makes me sick. I thought Fox was biased but I will watch them now.

Go Hilliary fans – go for the one that can get things done not the preacher.

With Kennedy and his clan and Oprah standing up for Obama would make me vote for Hilliary even if I hadn't already decided to do so.

It's funny as other people have said – if Obama wants change – why does he have all the old politicians behind him. All he can do is talk a good talk.

February 5, 2008 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  5. merlin

Everybody, settle it down. Hillary will win the nomination and the presidency.
    Enough with the protest that cnn is biased with Obama or what so ever. He can have fox and the rest, but some destiny are really made. She is destined to be the next president. I've seen it.............

February 5, 2008 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  6. Alecki

Wolf, you use to be my favorite to watch.

Acturally it's not just Wolf. It is quite obvious that CNN does not believe in equal time when it comes to Hillary and Obama.

CNN is consistent at favoring Obama over Hillary. In fact there is minimal coverage on her except for negative remarks. Commentators are not representing her.

You have lost my families and friends respect in your slanted reporting.

Please report the news. Let's be fair about representing ALL candidates.

This reporting is not reporting policies. It's tabloid coverage.

Stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  7. Alecki

CNN is so biased that Hillary supporters will not be watching your coverage.
    Please be fair about your coverage.

Many CNN watchers are truly discusted with the bias showed on your coverrage favoring Obama.

Please, be fair. This is serious business. This isn't a talent show.

MSNBC, ABC and U Tube is beginning to look better and better to many of your watchers.

February 5, 2008 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  8. Alecki

We don't need to have the uncertainty in the White House with Obama. We need to know who we're voting for. Obama might be okay in a few years. Not now!

Please vote experience!
    Vote for Hillary!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  9. Alecki

CNN............you have done it again.

You beat Fox news hands down for one sided reporting.

Please discuss the issues. This is a presidential election, not the Oscars.

February 5, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  10. Independent Voter

Wolf Blitzer is one of the many bottom feeders of journalism! His bias (along with Jack Cafferty) is so obvious on the Situation Room. It's so obvious that both of these men are anti-Hillary Clinton. Not only have I noticed but I hear it from many other friends, family and co-workers. CNN is losing credibility very fast.

Yesterday, Jack Cafferty had a question for the viewers basically asking who would be better for the Democratic party, Hillary or Obama. EVERY SINGLE ONE of Jack's responses from the viewers were anti-Hillary Clinton, every one! Once again, CNN may think it's working but it's really not. I hear from Republican's who would never vote for Obama or Clinton, yet they say they notice the bias from CNN, constantly attacking Hillary Clinton and praising Obama.. though these Republican's don't support either of them, they still see the unfair treatment of Hillary Clinton and think it's wrong.

CNN's slogan "The best political team on television" should be "The best bias team on television". What a joke!

February 5, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  11. WMW

Thanks for supporting Ron Paul. He marches onward with or without any media!

February 5, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  12. WMW

Thanks for supporting Ron Paul. He marches onward with or without any media!

February 5, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  13. Dee

Obama – stand tall and brave! We need a brave leader to lead the HOME OF THE BRAVE.

Hillary is the antithesis of brave. She is spoiled, whiny, and as corrupt as the state for which she has sought her senatorship.

February 5, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  14. BCarlisle, San Ramon CA

Hi CNN.

I have posted to this story before, but I guess you chose not to print it, not sure why. I'm a Hillary supporter, but in the begining, I was for both just watching, waiting to see Obama or Hillary make their case to the American people. Still waiting on Obama, yeah he got Oprah (she's on TV, Ted Kennedy is laughable!) Hillary has presented her case so clearly, even more clear than the republicans. For a long time people would say she was not clear but no one is saying that now are they! I think CNN needs to take another look at FOX news, I watch them more now because they are fair and balanced. CNN Could use a lesson in Fair. Hopefully someone will read this and maybe post it this time! To Obama supporters, if this was happening to your canidate you too would write blogs like we have, but its not happening to you!

Hillary 08***She will and proven she can change.

February 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  15. Allan

Its not rocket science. Obama is still a rookie. He cannot flesh out his policies. He will need a lot of advisers to do that, will take a lot of our time to decide properly on important and urgent matters for the country. Clinton has been around longer than pop-Obama. Lets face it Obama is all hype no substance.

February 5, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  16. John

Wolf, why don't you just come out and endorse Senator Obama. You have been campaigning for him for months.

February 5, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  17. Tommy2

Wolf, I have put a lot of thought into this, after watching CNN during this election cycle, I think CNN should change it's name to CNN LITE. I hope that after this election is over, no matter how it turns out, that the people in charge will take a good look at how the "news" was used during this election. What I don't understand is when you "make the news" or "slant the news", how do you think the public will keep watching?

February 5, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  18. Jimmy O

If Integrity, character, honesty and ethics matter to you. Reject the Clintons. The Clintons are phony, would say anything to get elected. If you have a young daughter, would you allow your young daughter to intern in a Clinton White House? The Clintons should just go away, they bring back bad memories. I could not watch TV with my children when the Clintons were in office, you never know what shameful Clinton drama will be on. If you care about the future of country, our children and our standing in the world, reject the Clintons. Integrity, character, honesty matters.

February 5, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  19. Noreen Cardinale

Fire the whole CNN analyst team. They are the most unintelligent analysts I have ever heard. My 12 year old son can reason better than they can.

February 5, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  20. Tom

I love CNN but I have to say as just an interested observer from Canada:

mentions on the show - Obama 6 to 1 over Clinton :::: McCain 6 to 1 over Romney and even worse for the other guy????

I wish the coverage could be more balanced. It's steering at its worst.

Try to do better please.

February 5, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  21. Michael

couple of items; Wolf is great but his 'shouting' method of reading news puts me off...also CNN seems to back Obama as well as the 'younger' crowds who are making a big mistake; young crowds specially are getting carried away by 'freshness' or whatever but cannot do any analysis of their own... if he wins the nomination, the other side is waiting to tear him up and win the white house; I for one am tired of republicans and to see the democrat in oval office, like to back Hillary who can better beat McCain...so be careful whom you are supporting CNN...

February 5, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  22. Rick

That's because Ron Paul is a nutcase and won't get 2% of the general election vote. That's why he wasn't mentioned. Turning on CAPS lock won't change that fact.

February 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  23. Larry - Georgia

CNN biased towards Obama? I don't think so. The real news is how Obama is making a race out of what was thought to be a coronation for the heir apparent to Pennsylvania Avenue. I understand the deep sense of disappointment that Clinton supporters must feel. However, when for almost a year CNN was just short of declaring Clinton as the nominee I didn't hear those complaints from Clinton supporters about the network being biased. Fact: Obama is rallying and this is real news and it is exciting to all including the media folks!

February 5, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  24. Frustrated in MI

To all... I agree, CNN is VERY BIASED! Most of my friends agree when they make a post against Obama, it doesn't make it through the "moderation". Obama supporters.... STOP WHINING!

Oh, and Andrew..... the original American sin was MOVING THE NATIVE AMERICANS (Indians) out of THEIR LAND!!

February 5, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  25. Anonymous

Allan,

Do you think that Hillary writes her own position papers on the issues? Give me a break, of course she doesn't. Why do you think she has "Advisors". Yes, she has advisors, just like every other politician.

And what is with the argument that Hillary should win because she has been "around longer." You know, the stale loaf of bread that has been sitting on my kitchen counter for a few weeks has been around longer than the one I bought yesterday. Which one do you think will taste better?

February 5, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |