February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Ray

Wolf – I cant wait for SuperDuperTuesday either! I'm in MN and plan to caucus for my girl, Hillary! I want a women in the White House. Barack is great, and I LIKE him, but we NEED Hillary to clean up after 7 years of G.W.Bush.

February 4, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Max Hartman

Ron Paul has about as much of a shot as a third party candidate- you know many third party primaries are being held tomorrow and Wolf didn't mention them either. Should he? No. It's great you support your candidate, and it is great that folks in other parties celbrate theirs, but just because some Joe Schmo is running doesn't mean they deserve to get play in an article about the real presidential contenders.

February 4, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Rick Portland, OR

A vote for Huckabee is a vote for McCain. Vote for Romney and help him pull off the biggest upset since... Sunday's super bowl! Romney has family values... something McCain can't say (he left his handicapped wife for a woman 17 years younger than himself).

February 4, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. Dudley Fernandez

Mr. Blitzer
    I tired of your biased reporting. I have yet to see you ask Barack any tough questions on the economy, Iraq and health care. Barack has claimed to oppose the war in Iraq, but he does not say what he has done in opposition.

In the Republican debate (so called) it lloks like CNN does not give Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee the time of day. CNN is begining to look like the "President Maker".
    Let us make up our own mind. I do not care to know if you see whether a candidate is cool, collected and pumped, this is not my criteria for picking a President.

February 4, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. wanda williams

hillary will win tuesday also delegates.

February 4, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. COLLECTIVE WILL

you only loose when you give up... search for a deep meaning

February 4, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Justin, Iowa

I agree, Ron Paul does need credit (even though i cant agree with him on ANY issue) He still deserves the same attention as the rest, just like Dennis Kucinich should have been allowed to debate.

We need a candidate who can break through the eile and unite and heal our country, help rid the lobbyists and interest groups who use money as power and most of all, fix the mistakes of a broken administration. Vote OBAMA Febuary 5th! We changed a state (Iowa, South Carolina), lets change the nation tomorrow!!!

OBAMA '08!!!!

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. Mair, Baltimore, MD

You know,.......one would think that "the best political team in television" would know that there are FOUR people still running in the republican primary.

Ya'll ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

February 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. brian

Ron Paul is still running, please do not forget (or should I say ignore). But, alas, you will be unable to avoid it for long, because Ron Paul is in for the long haul, with plenty of supporters, plenty of cash, and will be racking up delegates. Huckabee as Power Broker? Come on. It will be Ron Paul when all is said and done.

Prediction – Huckabee busts tomorrow. He bails out. Romney may be close behind because he will get tired of spending all his money. Republicans wary of John McCain will be left with four choices:
    Stay home and don't vote.
    Move over to Obama or Clinton (yeah, right).
    Hold their noses and vote for McCain (his mom said it best).
    Or wake up to freedom and vote for Ron Paul!!

Please print this and let freedom have a voice, at least on the comment section if not in actual articles.

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Pam

There isn't even a mention of Hillary Clinton in this report! No surprise at the continuance of Wolf and CNN's bias against her. For CNN and Wolf it's all about Obama. That could come back to smack you in the face!

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. Abby

I think Senator Clinton is wrong on many of the issues. Being first lady and having experience does not automatically qualify you to be the president. I also liked what Senator Obama said about having to be right right on day one as well as ready.

February 4, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  12. alvin berry

it is simple really. I you perfer that billions of dollars go to Iraq and many more american young people die or one year of the war $ would bring healthcare for all american children udner 6.

Make ti simple. VOTE OBAMA

February 4, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. sue

Hey Wolf,

i thought you guys were objective , why when I go on the cnn website, I only see Hilary's face. You are giving her an additional platform. I am jamaican , living in jamaica. But American politics affect our bread and butter issues . Please make it fair.

February 4, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Dan

Ron Paul Beats McCain in Maine Caucus, Primed to Win Over 1/3 of State Delegates

In the race for delegates, Ron Paul appears to closely trail Romney for first place

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 4, 2008

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – While most reports about this past weekend’s Maine Caucus focused on the purely symbolic presidential preference poll, in the meaningful race to secure delegates to the state convention Ron Paul is primed to finish second with likely 35 percent of the total delegates.

February 4, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Jim

When the election is over...I really hope that someone has been monitoring CNN and tracking the obvious bias towards Obama. Every "expert" on their best team in politics drops plugs for Obama...and jumps at the chance to bring down Hillary.

I guess it's ok for a station to pick a candidate...but CNN is claiming to be unbiased. Someone needs to address this and expose them for what they have been doing.

February 4, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. E Smith

Stop all of the anti-Hillary bias...I've talked with dozens of supporters and we are all sickened by the bias in the coverage. What happened to journalistic integrity?

I spoke to a friend at CNN's bureau and he said it was hard to stop because so many of his coworkers are supporting Obama. This is ridiculous and unacceptable!

This is exactly the same fever the media had right before New Hampshire. Your job is not to influence, it is to report.

Let's get back to balance and fairness in our coverage.

February 4, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Lena

I was very inspired by Michelle Obama's speech yesterday. Seeing two Kennedys backing Obama is encouraging for those of us who are hoping for a change a president who may probably demonstrate some qualities like that of JFK.
    I hope Obama wins tomorrow. . I am not sure what it is about Hillary but there is that something about her that seems insincere. She has that gallows laughter she gives when confronted with questions she does not want to address not that she can't./

February 4, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. Cathie

I am from Canada but follow American politics as it has a great effect on the rest of the world. I really notice how your media is so against Hillary Clinton. Even in the last debate there were no tough questions for Barrac but Hillary had to answer questions on her vote in congress to her husband 's involvement in her campaign . American media reminds me of a ref at a hockey game whose actions have a great effect on the outcome. I do know that the battle worn Hillary Clinton will be ready for the republicans attacks on the race to the white house. I think poor little Barrac won't be ready for them and media won't be attaching the republicans as they jumped on the Clintons if they said anything against Oboma. It would be awful if you ended up with republicans back in your White House because the media demonized The Clintons

February 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. wow the haters

The uncertainty??? Ummm i don't so .. CNN has already decided the election for us by the coverage they give to the candidates they want to win. I am Certain there is no Uncertainty when it comes to CNN .. its rediculously obvious

February 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. aware

Obamamania brings uncertainty and unpredictability. It is much like American Idol. So much hype is counterproductive unless you really want the Republicans back. :(

I don't want a pumped president. I want a president who can and will get the job done.

Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. Shupikai

Wolfe, I think the media's role in this election has been inconsistent. I am happy that the people have started looking through the confusion. Just today, Wolfe shows split screen of Obama with all these "bad guys" and goes on to say he "flipped" his opinion on Iraq. Shocking and very biased. I don't think the media should try to "lead" the candidates and make dramatic statements at this late stage. This was Fox news, please not CNN!! I think Hillary Clinton is ahead in the polls and CNN may be playing on the minds of Clinton supporters so they come out in a panic (like New Hampshire).

February 4, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Richy

I simply cannot believe it. What is happening to CNN? You people are taking sides. That man going by the name Jack Cafferty just put out a Clinton hater poll knowing where the results will go, and spewed out a vernom against Hillary Clinton

February 4, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. Sue

Please note so many more important issues to cover. Hillarys so called crying and Obama Super Bowl are not important to this election!!!!! You and your station are Obama-bias and this is not the unbiased coverage we are supposed to get. I do not think CNN wants a woman in power because you actually waste time reporting on Hillary possibly crying but you state that Obama is pumped up .Maybe you need to recognize the other Republican candidates while your at it.

February 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. Kevin in Madison, WI

This thing will NOT be over on Super Tuesday. Look for Wisconsin to give Obama the boost he needs to wrap this up when we vote on Feb. 19!

February 4, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. DeWay, MO.

As a democrat, I believe it will be more diffcult foe Obama to win in the national election that clinton. the momentum is there now because it is primary, at the national election the white and latino will not vote for the black. I know this because am out there working on get out to vote everyday. Hillary have his our issues, but it will be a child play to what Obama will face. like one voter asked me "why is it that Obama never explain how he got 1.2million house, when McCain who has worked all his live doesn't and the clinton does not have a house until after their presidency. What this voter is talking about is Rezco, and he concluded Obama have a bad judgement but he get away with it now and the media is to blame.

February 4, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |