February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Nanc

Just as I thought, over 12 hours since I posted my comment and it's still in moderation. Why, because it was less than complimentery to CNN? Is this site as bogus as your news "coverage" has become?

February 5, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  2. Christian Pena

Wolf,

I have been pretty disappointed in you and the CNN network. I have considered myself a CNN-buff for some time now, regularly staying tuned for the latest news, but lately, I have been watching MSNBC after being being referred there by friends.

My disenchantment with you and CNN stems from your rather overt biased reporting of the democratic primaries. In my opinion and for many others as well, its seems like CNN has basically endorsed Barack Obama. He's like the CNN darling while Hillary gets the lower end of the stick. And I've always appreciated that CNN provided an unbias, neutral approach to its reporting. It seems like CNN has chosen to change its ways for these primaries.

February 5, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. Ray Foss

CNN and Mr. Blitzer –

I am very concerned, that the results in California, and other western states, will be skewed by the saturation coverage of the East Coast states today. There have been studies in the past that, especially in the general election, early predictions of results effect the turnout in the West. With so many new voters and young voters engaged this year, I hope that CNN and other new organizations take their time in reporting results tonight. And, with the Democratic race too close to call in a number of states, based on early polling (and the polling just plain being wrong as it was in NH), there is a chance of faulty calls as to who the winner is. With the uncertainty as high as it is, please be cautious at calling races too soon. And, please let the voices of all voters, all across the country and timezones, be heard. This is too important for mere ratings.

February 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. caribbean

Senator Obama stated that Senator Clinton made a judgemental mistake when she voted for the war and not only will he be ready on day – one he will make the right Judgement on day one then he admit he will make mistake. (why did the critics miss this).

Obama you cannot forever give poetic speeches which give false expectation the real issue must be address in solemn tones that makes hope a reality.

Senator Clinton have seen the mountaintop and knows the path , you need to start climing by following that path which start not from the head but in the heart.

I trust you will get there in the next 8 years.

February 5, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. Andrew

Last night I put up a post about how much the media are making this a horse race to drive up ratings. Today my post is mysteriously missing. CNN censored the post so the truth could not get out. CNN and the rest of the news media are artificially making the two races a horse race, not asking tough questions of faux candidates! I will not be watching CNN any more since they won't let the truth be heard when they provide a forum for speaking out. I didn't use profanities or use any threats. I just said it like it was and now my post went missing. You sicken me CNN.

February 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. Sue

CNN is supposed to report the news, not create the story. They have taken a man who is a great motivational speaker and made him their poster boy for President of the United States. Obama has no real experience and can't even give details of his plans for the country. He prefers to talk to large crowds and preach rather than have Town Hall Meetings where he actually has to answer questions. People of this country are making a huge mistake if they allow the media to decide who the next President should be.

Also, many of us are aware that you are deliberately keeping many pro Hillary comments in moderation to keep them out of the CNN blogs. Even Fox News is more fair and balanced than CNN and that says a lot.

February 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  7. j.r.

I'll try and post again, but these always "under moderation".....CNN has just more or less said, Obama would take CA and N.Y. .....people have just started voting...give me a break....Obama and his scandles, you don't cover...you dont' want too....I want to also know how many favors he is going to owe the kennedy's...Obama is soooooo wet behind the ears, Ted will be running the white and Obama...yeah, that just what we need....isn't that what we have now??? Channey running Bush???? CNN = MUST DESTROY CLINTON AT ANY COST

February 5, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. Connie Lin

My Gosh! my emails this morning are bombarded by spam e-mails sent by Obama people! Don't they know better NOT to send soliciting emails especially to Hillary supporters?

February 5, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  9. Sheri

How interesting that Wolf did not press Obama on his withdrawal deadline when Obama clearly implied that he may need more time than 16 months to pull the troops out of Iraq. Wolf, you badgered Clinton on this issue, why not the same treatment for Obama?

February 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. Jean

Pam, You are right Wolf and CNN are all about Obama. CNN is certainly not owned by Clinton if it were she would fire every reporter on there.Obama don't have to spend his millions on advertising he gets free press. If Hillary gets any at all it's reporters trying to make her look bad , I am one that don't fall for that. If you interview her you try to put words in her mouth. Thank God she is to smart for that.Go Hillary

February 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. S

Tell me something, why are people impressed with the Kennedy's endorsing Obama?
    This is a family who's lineage are bootleggers, adulterers, rapists, murderers, and drug addicts. How many of them have not used their names to advance their adgenda.
    Do I want someone who represents them in my White House?

To make change occur:
    1. We need term limits
    2. We need to stop lobbyists
    3. We need to elect our Vice-Presidents
    4. We need to stand in front of the words on the Jefferson Memorial, and read.
    5. We need to close our borders and make English the primary language.

We need to go back to the basics on which this country was founded.

February 5, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  12. stranger

Wolf,

I love your show but I am sick and tired of your political analysts. They are so biased. Also CNN, as a national network, is not fair. IT always posted how great Obama is and said nothing positive about Hillary Clinton. I still have not made up my mind who to support but this is just an objective comment. How can a bational network be so biased?????????? What a shame.
    CNN may as well announced that they are endorsing Obama.

February 5, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. dave in italy

Larry from GA has got it right, there's real news there. That's why it gets coverage. There may be some serious problems with the mainstream media, but it's not that they decide what's news. They let us do that, and they go where the buzz is. When we don't like it, we have ourselves to blame. The only bias is the bias of individuals who cry foul every time their candidate isn't winning the coverage game. That's up to the campaigns, not the media. Ron Paul lacking coverage? That's because Ron Paul's lacking supporters. More Obama rallis covered? That's because he's drawing more people to rallies than most candidates ever do. That's news. Me? I am a Clinton supporter, but with hesitation. I don't believe Obama is all hype over substance, any more than I believe that Hilary will be the "same old thing". Her history and accomplishments speak very well of her ability to get things done, as do Obama's. I think her health care plan is better, because the math doesn't work unless you mandate universal coverage. That will help reduce costs. On the other hand, it's been a long Bush-Clinton run, and the country could probably benefit from some o-BAM!-a right now. Obama's rookie-ness is a bit concerning, as are some of the less shining chapters in Hilary's past... but don't pretend that a politician's ability to speak and lead and energize people has nothing to do with being president! I've heard that comment so many times it's shocking. It may not be the primary qualification - those must be judgement, stand on issues, and political skill. But how you speak and lead and unite - that's a big component of "political skill". Those abilities can determine your success in forging alliances, brokering deals and breaking deadlock, with the opposition and with foreign states and leaders.

February 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. Brendan, Queensbury, NY

Everyone saying that the networks have a clear Obama bias are being ridiculously closed minded, and are only seeing it from the perspective of an avid Clinton supporter. I personally am an equally avid Obama supporter, and if anything, there seems to be a pro-Clinton angle on both the major networks (CNN/MSNBC). And, it pains me to say this, but on Democratic coverage this year, Fox News does seem to be "fair and balanced".

But please, just understand that any sort of bias is only stemming from your personal prospective. Trust me, if you were on the other side, we feel the same way, only with the opposite candidate. But we don't run to CNN to make a comment screaming at the media, the candidates, and everyone else involved, because we understand that the apparent bias stems from our own personal bias.

February 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. deb

Of course Blitzer loves the uncertaintly.

It's great for RATINGS!

Didn't the CA debates cohosted by CNN have recordbreaking viewership?

It's not in CNN's best interests to have a frontrunner. A close election gets better ratings and more $$.

No wonder CNN is promoting Obama.

February 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  16. Kris

So much for the will of THE PEOPLE...

794 "Superdelegates" (made up of Congressmen / women and DNC officials) will be deciding the Democratic nominee if the race is anywhere near as close as the polls say it is.

The list is available online, and it looks like they support Hillary almost 2-1.

February 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  17. Here In Britain

Larry as an outsider looking in I have to say you are wrong.

Channels like CNN and MSNBC have devoted more time to Obama than any other candidate including McCain.

That's not fair by anyone's standards.

I'm just glad in Britain that our broadcasters have a legal duty to give the political parties equal airtime – it's a pity it did not happen in the USA too.

If candidates want more airtime they should pay for it through advertising.

February 5, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  18. Connie Lin

In this uncertain economic times that I remember how thankful I am to the Clinton! Bill brought back prosperity from recession and surplus from deficit! I haven't heard much criticism from Barack's comment that it was more to the right timing during the Clinton's administration that we enjoyed all the good things instead of the Clinton's credit. Besides being an inspirational speaker, I don't see how he is qualified to be the commander in chief for our great nation!

February 5, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. Tommy2

Wolf, I have put alot of thought into this and I think CNN should change your name toCNN LITE. I have watched CNN during this election cycle and it is sad how much you use the news. You "make or slant " the news to your view. How long do you think the public will keep watching ? I know that there are pro and cons above on this matter. Go back and count the comments on both sides for the last few months and I think you all (Ga) will see what I mean. We have one or two networks that we have to decide if it is real news, we don't need another one.

February 5, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. Ken

Almost eight years after the general election of the least qualified, and arguably worst president I am deeply saddened that the popular perception amongst our media is that Senator Clinton is the most qualified between her and Senator Obama. Day after day I keep hearing the so-called pundits who think she is the best choice for the Democratic party to unseat the the Republicans in the Oval office. I am neither a registered Republican nor Democrat in the state of Virginia because of law, but I can honestly say in all the years I've been voting I've never seen an individual who can "unite" folks from both parties as Senator Obama is.

It's time America for new leadership in the White House who can bring this great nation of ours together. Senator Obama can do this and he has proven it on the campaign trail. Let's vote for the best candidate who can bring new ideas and vision to our country and not vote for a candidate solely because of their last name. What this country needs is a new voice and vision, and not another Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush presidency. Get out and vote America!!

February 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. Di

Who's disappointed??? CNN is bias!!

Go Hillary Go!!

Obama is fake news...he has said nothing, he will do nothing..usless!!!

February 5, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. Christina

I am so sick and tired of CNN's love affair with Obama – you'd think he was the only one running! You have completely forgotten about Hillary, who is leading in every poll, albeit by small percentages. It is very obvious that CNN is not balanced in it's reporting. Most of the coverage you devote to Hillary, which is VERY little, is NEGATIVE. You are no longer the 'most trusted name' in news!!

February 5, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Geraldine Ciesielski

Why no comment on what Michelle Obama said on good morning america. She doesn't know if she can suppor Hillar if she gets the nomination. What message does that send to the african american voters? She also said she does not want her husband to run again. if they loved this country so much they would not give up on it. If that were Bill or Hillay Clinton that said this you would be all over them.I am a life long democrat but I will not vote for Obama. I did not vote for Bush and I'm afraid the people are going to make the same mistake.

February 5, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  24. Carol

Hey "rabblerouser" are you from the CT -DCWBFE club voting for Hillery? Go MAN !

February 5, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. Brando

Barack CAN'T get 270 in the general election. DON'T KID YOURSELF. Remember, it's Not! about the popular vote, IT'S THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE, STUPID!...IT'S NOT! GONNA HAPPEN.

February 5, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |