February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. John Walling

CNN in not the best news chanel anymore. It has become just a political propaganda machine for some politicians! Please go back to reporting the news before you loose all your viewers!...

February 5, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Steve

Here is the question the Obama campaign fears the most!!!!

With all the big momentum, Opra, the Kennedys, emotional crouds etc……should we expect more from Obama than just a close race on Super Tuesday?

February 5, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. John Walling

Thank God that the USA President is elected by the people and not by the few favor seeking opportunistic politicians ( like a few from MA) they endorse!

February 5, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Sue

O= our
    B=belief
    A=about
    M=mending
    A=America

February 5, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. felipe

THIS IS A JOKE, CNN NOT POSTING ALL THESE NEGATIVES ABOUT OBAMA? WHAT A SEXIST NETWORK, CNN AND A BUNCH OF OTHER NETWORKS ARE SEXISTS THEY DON'T WANT HILLARY AT ALL.............................

GO OUT FOR HILLARY

February 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. Kristin M

I am concerned by the lack of information on third parties. There should at least be some mention or the Green Party, seeing as that their primaries are being held on Super Tuesday as well. I consider this a huge problem that news providers cannot tell the whole story.

February 5, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Bart

Yes we all love the uncertainty. Like in 2000. That was so wonderful to see the winner of the popular vote lose the "election". But who cares?

February 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. felipe

OBAMA WILL NOT BE CHANGE FOLKS LOOK HE IS ABOUT FALSE HOPES AND NO ONE I MEAN NO LOOKING FOR THE FACTS, GO LOOK IT UP FOLKS ON FORBES HIS STATE RANKS ALMOST DEAD LAST IN 6 CATEGORIES, AND HE WILL BE ABLE TO CHANGE AMERICA, I AM VERY SCARED OF THESE FALSE HOPES, THIS IS CRAZY HOW EVERYONE IS JUMPING FOR THIS MAN BECAUSE OF INSPIRATION CRAP I JUST DON'T GET IT.................PEOPLE WANT TO ELECT SOMEONE BECAUSE HE IS INSPIRATIONAL AND TALKS FALSE HOPE I AM VERY SCARED HOW AMERICANS ARE LOOKING AT THAT AS A DECIDED FACTOR...............HILLARY TALKS ISSUES AND SOUNDS CREDIBLE ON JUST ABOUT EVERY ISSUE..................

CNN YOU ARE MOST OTHER NETWORKS ARE SEXISTS,

GO HILLARY

February 5, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. felipe

GO HILLARY SHE IS CREDIBLE AND TALKS THE TRUTH

February 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. ILL, votes for Hillary !!!!

Mr Wolf i just wants to let you know that most if not all my friends or anybody, who i know, including my grown son and my friend's grown children voted today for
    Mrs CLINTON !!!!!!
    You are not doing great job for Obama.
    It's patetic, that you trying to support just Obama.
    HILLARY 2008 !!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  11. georgia dem

I just drove through Va/High here in Atlanta
    and saw about 75 screeming HILLARY supporters at the corner of Highland
    and Ponce
    there was not one Omaba fan in sight
    was CNN there to report it
    *********************************
    GEORGIA FOR HILLARY!!
    GO GIRL!!
    ************************************

February 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Gil Acevedo

GIL DUNKIRK NY- SO WOLFE WHAT HAPPENS IF IT IS NOT DECIDED BY MARCH THE 3RD.?

February 5, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. Melody Cannon

Please give me information about Ron Paul too. This black out has gotten way out of hand. I now have to go to the internet to get most of my information. I already quit watching Fox, rarely watch MSNBC, and have gotten to the point where I would still watch Wolf and Cspan. You may just be losing another viewer soon. I am begining to beleive that there is a bias in the Media.
    Melody Cannon

February 5, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. felipe

EVERY LADY SHOULD GO OUT AND VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON, DO IT WITH PRIDE, IF AFRO AMERICANS ARE SUPPORTING OBAMA MOSTLY THEN LADIES LETS GO OUT AND SUPPORT OUR CANDIDATE WITH PRIDE

GO HILLARY

February 5, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. felipe

LOOK AT THE FACTS AND SEE HOW OBAMA IS NOT THE REAL DEAL, GO TO FORBES DO YOUR RESEARCH, AND SEE HOW OBAMA'S STATE IS ALMOST LAST IN MANY CATEGORIES...........HOW CAN HE CHANGE AMERICA IF HE CAN'T EVEN CHANGE HIS OWN STATE....................

VOTE HILLARY LOOK AT THE FACTS THEN MAKE THE CORRECT DECISION

February 5, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. felipe

HILLARY IS FOR THE LATINOS, AND THE GAY COMMUNITY AS WELL.............WE NEED TO MAKE THE CORRECT DECISION......................

February 5, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  17. felipe

OH GOD CNN IS NOW REPORTING OBAMA IS GETTING VOTERS FOR CHANGE, R U KIDDING ME THIS IS CRAZY..................

I REALLY THINK AMERICANS ARE MAKING A BIG DECISION IF THEY SELECT OBAMA WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE FACTS THIS IS SCARY.......................

GO HILLARY

February 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. felipe

PLEASE LOOK AT THE FACTS BEFORE YOU VOTE FOR THAT SCAM CALLED OBAMA

GO HILLARY

February 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  19. Maureen Michelson

Please, get rid of Carl Bernstein as a political pundit. His bias against the Clintons is so overwhelming I can't believe anything that comes out of his mouth. I also think he is dead wrong to push the idea that there is a "war" between Clinton and Obama and that they dislike each other immensely. That's Bernstein trying to create a reality he'd like to see.

Bernstein is a bore at this point. Some new faces, please!

February 6, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  20. Dr Benjamin Katz

Wolf is right,
    when he says fatigue is impossible in this election. Everybody is a pundit. CNN have a measured and considered view to express throughout even when some of the CNN pannelists go deep into left field at times.

I teach multivariate statistical analysis, one of the math foundations all 'scientific' polls supposedly use. Wolf/CNN projections on their margins of error are as close as the scientific allows. Fox News is another matter. Most, if not all CNN projections are vindicated before long it must be noticed.

As there are pollsters, there are statisticians, and within Stats as a discipline there are fields of devopment. One field, hardly new, Markovian Chain analysis is increaingly being used in Polling and not just the esoteric puroses of genetics, nuclear design, cryptology etc.

I have seen one foreign pollster (Dr Derik Flemming, a South African) who works in DC every election using Markov modelling for predictive outcomes with high accuracy: his tentative work yields soem interesting conjectures for the national election:

1. McCain needs Clinton to oppose as Obama is the most electable at the national level.

2. Clinton is the galvanisor for a Republican Turn-out-the vote: poll "what democrat candidatwe will motivate you a republican to turn out"? on Obama 23%, Clinton 68%.

3. Obama is the Democrats best national hope.

Just some observations

February 6, 2008 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  21. Roger

Go Hillary!

February 6, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  22. Roger

The Kennedys could not help him in their own backyard. Spin that!

February 6, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  23. Will, NJ

CNN is bias as well as FOX news for republicans. I thought the press was to be neutral. All they cover is OBAMA, why is the interest?

February 6, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. linda

I was wondering how in the world the senators, governors mmedia and all can swing the votes how they want them i really thought our votes counted I really am seeing we have no say i will not vote for Obama hes a liar and so cocky it makes me sick. The Kennedys have a terrible name Kerry also. Its not a race thing i hope you all get what you deserve i know what i can look forward too. So many promises he couldnt even vote yes says present, not in senate when voted on war. Again a very much race thing and been said hes for people making 150,000 we never seen that much in years but not given everything either. the people is going to get what they ask for ill vote for republicans so will alot of people.

February 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  25. John Walling

Big slap on the face of some MA politicians!

February 6, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |