February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Dudley Fernandez

Lena
    I am glad it tokk the Kennedy endorsements for you to see the inspiration in the Obama's

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. Diane

The men are pumped, and meanwhile, Hillary is coughing and tearing up. She's human and showing her faults, unlike the male candidates who act tough through it all. It's time for less of this stupid testosterone in the White House. Vote Hillary!

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  3. Eileen Polanco

Hola?Wolf B ?
    I love uncertanty too. Wolf i have to tell u thtat i am so addicted to CNN that i can't live without it. For me you are like Moises. You are like the son of God, because u are in CNN just to tell the true.
    i have to tell u that evrything i know is because CNN.I have learned English just because CNN.
    My dream is just to meet u and tell u in person how greatfull i am to CNN and why?
    GOD BLESS U WOLF. EILEEN POLANCO

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Anne

Can you tell me where I can tune in for truly unbiased election coverage? I always turned to you, thinking Fox News was a joke. Now you have shown me you are just as skewed in favor of your favorite candiate Obama. It pains me to watch you anymore, because Obama is not my candidate. It is all Obama, all the time. I'm serious here. Where can I get unbiased coverage please?

February 4, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. w.c. gann

HILLARY IS AND WILL MAKE THE BEST PRESIDENT, SHES BEEN THERE DONE THAT. AND CAN STOP THIS WAR EVEN IF SHE DID VOTE UNDER BUSHES LIES , SHES A GREAT LADY AND ILL FIGHT FOR HER.

BILL

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Nelda Rodriguez

I am a hispanic democrat and strongly support Hillary Clinton, She is very knowledgeable and I think could take our nation to a different direction I think the news media has given Barak Obama the momentum, and as for Ophra supporting him that is her right-but that is not going to make me run out and vote for him. Obama he talks about bringing the nation together- just like he did not reach out and shake her hand at the state of the union-that to me is not bringing people together! I would vote republican before I vote for him!

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Lucy Smith

I am so tired of all the Hillary bashing. I think people are jealous of her and afraid of her candor. I lived in NYC when she was elected and we recently moved to L. A. She answers all the questions when she is asked clearly and directly.(what you see is what you get. The other candidate Obama skates around the issues. He is all hype. She has worked very hard and for a very long time to bring change to this country. She deserves to lead this country especially now. She rocks. You go girl.

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. Victor

I admire Obama, he inspire people and will be a great president to unify the country and repair what Bush has done to this countary. If hillary won, bill clinton will paly a major role to return the trust and confidence aroud the world esprcialy moderate Moslim because they need to be treated in a depolomatice way in order to make business with them. At the same time we as americans might harvest the benifit economicaly because he was their during th 90's.
    On the other hand if Obama won the world will like this also and the moslim world will like him more, simply because of his middle name "Hussen". They will call him president "Hussen Obama". They will praise him more and they will say this a sign from God. God wants the west to be moslim world. Therefore they will increase the attack and vilonce to acheive the well of God.
    Because of that reason I am going to vote for Hillary.

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Tom in MA

All I know is that every comment I post, mostly unfavorable to Obama, stays in moderation while those posting after me go up like nothing. Not one of about my last six posting have made it.

February 4, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. David

I can't believe people are still backing Obama. He's going to get trashed during the general election if he wins the nomination. Hillary is better prepared, which I think the L.A. debates showed clearly... which is why CNN calling it a draw confuses me! She had more detailed explanations of her plans and policies. How was that draw? She mopped the floor with Obama. Just goes to show the media's infatuation with Mr. Obama... quite revolting if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm a young(19), MALE, who will proudly be voting for Hillary Clinton tomorrow morning!

Clinton '08

February 4, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Ash

wolf i'm an independant, and i want to see a push for the Clinton Obama unity for the white house after super tuesday!
    if i keep seeing them against each other i'm going with mccain !

February 4, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. Elizabeth, Minnesota

Obama seems to make people hot like Bill Clinton did so while I don't doubt there could be some journalistic bias I also think he has the charisma Bill did and it is palpable (or so everyone says who sees him in person.)

My husband says that Hillary's smiles don't reach her eyes and that is often the case. I think without Obama I would be so excited about Hillary. But put the two together and it's not even comparable. Old school, old politics, baby boomer generation with black and white thinking, and then you have Obama... who can put a smack down to a question about immigrants "taking the jobs from blacks in America" without being called racist or insensitve, who can have white women vote for him over the white woman candidate, who can piss off the old school black baby boomers because he's not "black enough" for them, etc.

I love American democracy. It's super messy, complicated and wonderful at all once. I welcome the NEW mistakes and FRESH changes created by a NEW Obama-led America!

February 4, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. Bruce Jackson

CNN continues to seize any opportunity to paint Senator Clinton in a negative light and uses every opportunity to continue to hype Senator Obama. If Mr. Blitzer was going to ask Hillary a direct question on her support on Iraq, in the debate, why not ask why Senator Obama failed to cast a vote on the designation of Iran's Al Quds force as a terrorist group? He was campaigning, while Senator Clinton was busy supporting the troops. This is the Iranian group according to US Military Commander's (which everyone claims to listen too) is funneling weapons to the same insurgents killing America's Sons and Daughter in Iraq and Afganistan! CNN what happen to the journalist who report the facts? Or are we waiting until the General Election to raise these issues?

February 4, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  14. Chuck

I think a President should be able to "walk the walk" and not just "talk the talk". Senator Obama is truly and amazing speaker and motivator; however Senator Clinton has demonstrated her ability to get things done. The country needs a "get it done" person not just a good speaker. I have no doubt that Senator Obama will be a historically inspiring President someday, he just needs a bit more experience. I think Clinton is the best person to get the country back on the right track.

February 4, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. Proud Californian

Lena, what do you see in Obama as being so sincere? His Iraq war position was stated when he wasn't even a senator yet, yet he changed and sided with Bush when he was campaigning for Kerry and Edwards knowing that those two voted against the war....YOU CALL THAT SINCERITY? The Kennedy's are endorsing BO (not body odor) because they are jealous now that they are NO longer the standard bearer of the democrats.

February 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. Jon H., Denver, CO

You have no control when moderating debates!

February 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. Eric, California

CNN is so blatantly biased towards Obama it's DISAPPOINTING! Has Oprah also made contributions to CNN? Seriously. What gives?!?!

February 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Anne

In response to Lena's comment: Really, Lena? You aren't sure about Hillary because of the way she laughs? Is this what we've come to? Shall I pick on something equally infantile and say I can't vote for Barack because he has ears that stick out, or that he can't speak more than a half a line without stammering (unless he is reading a speech)? Furthermore, I take issue with a man who has been bringing the house down with his putpit-pounding refrain, while he claims to be riding a wave into the future. Not looking to the past, but to the future. I wonder then, how he reconciles evoking JFK all the time now (and only since getting some Kennedy endorsements, interestingly). He certainly does know how to ride a wave!

February 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Monty

Ron Paul has the most donations of any GOP candidate, including the support of the troops, who donated more than twice the amount to his campaign than to any other candidate. He fights for the rights of the American people, would bring the troops home, and save the dying dollar and our economy. Ron Paul is the true Champion of the Constitution. Freedom is popular, but people first have to have a chance to hear the message. Thanks CNN and the rest of the MSM for failing to provide the American public with fair coverage of the candidates.

-Monty Lochrie

February 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. Chris

I don't know much about Ron Paul except he reminds me of Woody Harelson and apparently a lot of his ideas are crazy...

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. David from Annapolis

I am a huge Obama fan, but I do agree that the Media is in love with Obama and they have greatly helped to make this a race. The Clintons are a powerhouse combo and are (were) the pick of the Democratic powers. The fact is that Obama has that special touch that Hillary (and Bill) just don't have. Obama has less experience and is not nearly the policy machine that Hillary is, but he has been holding his own. Personally, I think this is great. – Hillary or Obama would be great options compared to W and either can take the country in a better direction.

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. B Campbell

A lot of what Ron Paul says makes a lot of sense. He appears to be honest in his answers, very informative, when asked by the different news reporters – like Meet The Press etc. I believe his downfall is that he is not Presidential in his appearance.

Who will win is up for grabs, and it is the first time in my life of voting that I find it so difficult to vote for a canidate.

February 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Mark Lane

Wolf,
    I like many others are more than a little tired of your personal insights. You're a newscaster; all we expect from you is to report what you see and hear. Let us take it from there. You are not the celebrity we are focused on. If we are looking for ruminations and backfill, we can tune into Larry King–America's bartender. Unfortunately, like most journalists who have stolen their share and more of the limelight, you have the illusion that anyone cares about your personal opinion. And since we've gotten so much of that, we know already. And we just don't care about what Wolf Blitzer thinks.

February 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. flimflam

For you lazy folks... knowbeforeyouvote.com This link is good for intelligent people as well. I showed my friends and it was like watching someone wake up from a 30 year coma. Pretty funny.

February 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |