February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Emily

Why has the media turned so biased during the past few weeks? Why do you mention interviews with Obama, Romney and Huckabee, but there is NO mention of Clinton? I'm so sick of mainstream media trying to choose OUR candidates for November. Look at the polls – Clinton is still in this election too and she's in it to WIN, so start reporting without bias!

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. LeeAnn

Wolf this is crazy – CNN is SO ANTI Hillary it is not even funny. I ahve watched CNN all evening and ALL I am seeing is Barack Obama this and Barack Obama that.

And every thing posted on the ticker is negative about hillary or positive about obama.

Even Jack "posed a question" today should women not endorse hillary. Why couldnt hhe have asked the same questions about Obama – Should black folks endorse Obama? It just make me so cynical about the medias role in this election.

I am not saying dont show positive obama things – I like the guy – what I am saying is show something – ask something – for christs sake do something positive in the Hillary light – she aint all that bad :)

Even with your criticism and obama chest thumping I am voting for Hillary.

You guys should re think your reporting efforts – I appreciate what you do just not how you are doing during this election.

and now I have to look forward to seeing your interview with obama AGAIN – UGG.:(

Respectfully submitted – LeeAnn

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Belle

I gave six reasons why I supported Clinton over Obama. My post stayed in moderation and never made it to the comments page.

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. Willie

I t worked so well for her the first time she tried it, she's at it again......emotional and misty eyed Hilary the day before big primaries at her her law school with sorority sisters......But of course, we aren't playing the ginder card are we. This should get her and Bill several more hours with unbiased??? CNN broadcasts.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. Kyle

Oh, the voters are in the process of making history alright... making the U.S. go the way of history.

"Change" is exactly what everyone's going to get... precisely because everyone will vote for the status quo talking heads yet again. (And that includes Obama...he just throws the word around most often).

Only this time, they won't be able to escape the reality of deficit spending and the inevitable economic corrections. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, hope you've all secured your financial seatbelts!

RP08.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. margie

Wow, Wolf you have done it again. Obama is obviously your guy, I hope he picks you as press secretary. You beat Fox news hands down for one sided reporting.
    I dare you to post this. You always put me in moderation when I say anything against Obama.
    Watch Hillary tomorrow. We will see what you have to say with all your predictions and inuendos.

February 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. Rod Taylor

The Presidential run between Clinton and Obama is somewhat reminiscent of Kerry and Bush only this time, it's CNN that's doing the Swiftboating and they sure ain't doing it on Obama! It doesn't seem to matter what point Hillary makes in any debate or campaign speech, CNN is going to put the knife squarely in her back!

AND WE THOUGHT WE HAD A DEMOCRACY???

February 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Kansas Democrat

In my memory, Wolf allowed Hillary to completely DOMINATE THE DEBATE.

THE DEBATE WAS MORE LIKE A MONOLOGUE THAN A DEBATE. SHE WAS BLABBING AND BLABBING AND BLABBING.

I AGREE – QUIT WHINING!! She has had enormous amounts of coverage and airtime.

February 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. jim Scottsdale AZ

People Bush just sent a 3 trillion dollar budget to the house. We are 60 trillion in debt including Medicare and social security. We are in a 135 countries with 700 bases, an Empire. We are broke.

We work from Jan 1st throught to the middle of July for the Govt. The dollar is dropping like a rock, good paying jobs are levaing this Country. McCain wants to be in Iraq for a 100 years, what does that cost?? Gold is over 900.00 an ounce. Gas in 2000 was a 1.42 a gallon..

The American people worry about democrats and republicans I worry about my income. I worry about why we went to war with false data, for those of you that still read there is a book called Curveball read that, we wnt to War for no reason.

I have my tooth paste made in a communist country (China ), but the other Communist Country I can't buy a cigar?? The Foreign policy in this Country is broken. We spent a trillion dollars and stil can't catch Osma. no one holds them responsible.

I will vote for Barack once Ron Paul is done, but Ron Paul if you would look at this record is the only hope that Rome has. We need drastic change, not just a few policies.

Wake up

February 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Jay

For all the people complaining about CNN's coverage of the election – nobody's forcing you to tune in or log on to this website. If you don't like the coverage your candidate is getting, go get it from somewhere else. This is America after all.

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. France

CNN:

Are you not supposed to be impartial?????

You have been plugging Obama for what seems like weeks nowl...

Come on, try to look as though you have not decided on a candidate already. You are supposed to be fair to your public.

February 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. jim geminiano

CNN is the only Channel I watch but you give a lot of free time and exposure to McCain and Obama especially during those rallies . The silent majority of Americans are turn off by excessive celebrity endorsement s and media biases ! Why can't you be fair instead of being bias . You give 10 times more exposure to Obama tha Clinton . I have turn off my TV for now .

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  13. Lee Chang

Wolf: CNN is no more that balance news station anymore. I have turned to watch CNBC these days. Like your blogs now – you only show those for Obama. I am sure there are many Hillary supporters – but their comments seem to be missing.
    GO HILLARY GO.

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. TAZ

WOW–CNN already has Obama a winner and they are trying to get everyone that watches CNN to be a lover(as they are) of Obama.They have to say Obama in their sleep,especially Wolf.I wonder if he is getting paid by Obama for everytime he says OBAMA?????Get with it CNN,Obama is not the only one that is running for president

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. Mark

Adam is right. No kidding! When I logged on to CNN politics it was Hillary's face on the page not Barack's. Give me a break if you think CNN favors Obama. It has been and still is the Clinton News Network. How about after the debate when James Carville is one of the "pundits" analyzing who won. Even the Pres. of TWX was uncomfortable. The Clintons, whine, wheedle and weasel their way around the country....oops I forgot the tears. Enough already!! And Wolf, you have been the worst of all the debate hosts.

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Piers

I'm still not quite sure what Hillary has done that is so impressive? What is this "experience" she talks about?? Moreover, I think experience is overrated. I don't know about you guys, but I was turned down for sooooo many jobs because I didn't have 'experience,' and now years later I realise that I could have done those jobs quite easily! I always think of it as a bit of a cop-out, the inability to discern true talent. Whenever I interview people I try to look past the jobs they've had in the past, and instead on their talent and grey-matter, which I believe is alot more important.

Obama 08!

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. lombardi

wolfe you and jack and your obama media supporters all you do is try to make obama out to be the good guy. The media might as well give him the democrat nominate . Good luck i hope it comes back to bite you and jack and your media crony panel. YOUR TRULY HILLARY SUPPORTER

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  18. Jack Nicolosi

I am a Hillary Clinton supporter and I think she is not getting a fair voice in the major media. Some of the other networks are jumping on the Barrack Obama bandwagon and are not giving Hillary Clinton any press. I watch CNN because they do give a fair and balanced news cast, but lately you to are jumping on the Barack Obama bandwagon. You are not challenging Barrack Obama on the issues and are giving him a free ride. Thanks Jack Nicolosi

February 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. Manny from Ottawa Canada

It will be President-elect McCain in November if Obama is Democratic nominee.

Manny from Ottawa Canada

February 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  20. Sean

Congratulations Adam from Los Angeles to be the first person to read and understand the article. He was clearly talking about the people he recently interviewed.

February 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  21. Rebecca

I think it is funny that people say that Obama reminds them of JFK. I think people have forgotten, or selectivley choose to forget, that JFK had women coming and going in and out of the White House behind Jackie's back. Obviously, that is a point that people don't want to remember or comprehend all though we all know it was the truth. Has anyone forgotten about Marilyn Monroe??

February 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  22. Rick L

Wolf,
    You, along with the rest of the media elites (MSNBC, FOX, CNN), have continued to salivate over Barrack Obama, the same way you salivated over a war in Iraq – without any sense of balance or serious investigation. Yes, both OBAMA and WAR make for high ratings and good tv, but neither are necessarily good for the country, and your over-the-top bias in favor of both is sickening.

When you called Hillary "naive" during the debate, which was an attack on her character in a nationally televised – supposedly unbiased – news program, you didn't mention the naivete of the media at the time Hillary took that vote. The media is just as much to blame for the Iraq War as Congress.

On your show today, I just witnessed one of your sidekicks deliver a biased whack at Clinton, with a phony question to bloggers about who would "unite the republicans more" HIllary or Obama. HELLO? Hillary has been hated by the "vast right wing conspiracy" since Bill was in the White House. Are you telling me that you and your buddies at CNN didn't know this segment would result in negative remarks for Hillary?

Hillary unites republicans the way Reagan united Democrats – but that didn't mean that Reagan would lose. In fact, it should be considered a good thing for the other side to not like the Dem candidate.

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP ATTACKING CLINTON?

February 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. Bukky

You dingbats... READ he was talk about people he interveiwed in the past 2 days.

and yes Ron Paul is a dead duck... so sad, too bad,... But not really. He was nothing but a right wing ralph nader

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  24. Deloris Rozier

Wolf if you are commenting on Senator Obama's position on immigration please do not omit the entire comment. As I recall during the debate Senator Obama stated that if comprehensive reform was in place for immigrants the drivers license issue would not be a problem. He clarified this very important issue for the American people.

I respect you as a journalist so please do not mis-quote Senator Obamas' position on immigration.

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. CT VOTER

WOW ! the only ONE missing in Hartfird tonite is O-A I wonder why she couldn't make it?

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |