February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. HopesAlive

I keep seeing all of these Hillary supporters saying, "she gets things done." Please tell me one thing she got accomplished the first time she was in the White House? She couldn't get her health care past congress then and it was Democratic! All she has is a record of failure. Obama is clearly the best choice, she has already had her chance.

February 4, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. LIZ

Wolf is so bias!! He should know better than to be. He never says anything good about the other candidates, especially Hillary! This is a website for the hard working americans to stay on top of what is going on....not to hear just about one candidate that he supports.......there are plenty other website to see that!!

Start posting fair views on all candidates!!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  3. Dem08

The problem, Adam, LA is that Clinton has not be treated fairly by CNN, or the other major cable news outlets. Selective polls are used to push Obama up, and today its been even worse as CNN has extensively covered Obama. There are several polls out there that show Clinton with a larger lead than the CNN poll.

However, CNN cover's a non-story on Clinton today about her teary eyed, emotional welcome from an old collegue. I personally like to know that my canidate is human.

CNN has only featured stories and a soft-ball interview with Obama, showing large crowds, while not even mentioning that Clinton is drawing similar crowds across America.

She doesn't need to be spotlighted, but treated fairly. If Obama is going to be my parties nominee, I need to know more about him than whats being asked.

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  4. Canadian Cate

As an international viewer and I've been watching American politics since Kennedy was in office (the first one) and I have never seen such over-hype, media controlled frenzy over a candidate in my life – except maybe for George Bush – I am thoroughly discouraged with your biased reporting (and I use that word loosely) and so-called journalism – CNN has turned into Entertainment Tonight – your country is not voting for a rock star, but a world leader – shame on you! You have become the laughing stock of the world – open your eyes Americans and your minds and take a second look at the "annoited one" !

PS – let's see if this message gets posted – none so far have. . . . free press – ya right!

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. Lee Chang

CNN Moderator: The debate: Obama v Clinton, clearly Obama woffled and was at best muddled with his ideas and vision. He is no JFK and no Dr. King. Hillary was herself, what you see is what you get, has strong conviction, substantive and able, America is lucky to have her as your president.

But CNN – how is that a draw, when clearly Hillary leads on all counts – she knows her facts and know how to get there. Obama will still be gropping his way.

Vote Hillary.

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  6. pl. at the UN for a while.

And, Wolf, you also love to crank up uncertainty.
    It is good for reporting and keeping us on the hook.

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. Keith

Vote for Hillary. She is the only candidate that understands the issues America is currently facing. Obama is just a talk. I 'm not a Hillary' campaign staff memeber. I heard all Obama's capaign staff does is clutter the blogs and post anti-hillary messages. Nothing is going to stop her.

Hillary for President.

February 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  8. Jay

Michelle Obama: "I'd Have To Think About" Supporting Hillary As Nominee on Good Morning America today.

If Bill Clinton said he'd "have to think about" supporting Obama, the press would be slamming him. But, no mention on CNN about Michelle Obama's obnoxious comments. This is the new Obama politics?!

February 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Kyle

Of course, to be fair, we should take note that both Alan Keyes and Mike Gravel are still officially in the race as well...

It's actually 5 Republicans and 3 Democrats.

February 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  10. terry willaims

Hello Wolf
    Great job with the debates.As a democrate from Wa. state there is a chance this year I might have a chance to help decide our partys choice and our countrys next president for our caucas is this sat. Wow we have not mattered for years.
    As a taxi driver in this Univeresty town I have the ear of the people every night and never seen the young folks so informed about an election
    Hey keep up the good work.Terry.

February 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. J Pat

I come here every day looking for it but never find it.

When is CNN going to make it official and endorse Barack Hussein Obama for his party's nomination.

Why is it everyone sees the Kennedy's of the great evaluater of change?
    Ted has been in the U.S. Senate for 36 years. Why didn't he change whatever it is you people want changed? Maria is married to the Governor of the largest state in our country, why doesn't she look to him for change? Ethel is 80 years old for heaven's sake, her idea of change involves diapers.

It also amuses me that when a member of the so called "Kennedy family" endorses they immediately adopt the last name Kennedy.
    I guess it wouldn't be as news worthy to announce that Caroline Schlossberg endorsed a candidate but at least she was born with the name unlike, Ethel Skakel Kennedy or Maria Shriver Schwarzenegger.

Either way i must admit Barack Hussein Obama has a star studded lineup of endorsements.

Ted Kennedy- never worked outside of government
    Maria Shriver- television personality
    Ethel Kennedy- housewife
    Caroline Schlossberg-head of father's Library
    George Clooney-actor
    Larry David-actor
    John Kerry-never worked outside of government
    Oprah-television personality

Or as they would say on Jeopardy – Give me ultra liberal millionaires for $1000, Alex.

February 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. case3

Victor that was some pretty funny crap you wrote about, Obama pretty ignorant though, probably a Ron Paul supporter.

We NEED OBAMA he can really lead and unite much more of America than anyone else. I am a teacher and a veteran, working in the inner city. He is exactly what we need. We need someone who can unite our great country.

Hillary can not win votes from independents or disenfranchised Republicans, both necessary in November. She is good, but way too divisive in middle-American.

Here is hoping for a McCain thumping the Republicans tomorrow and a Ron Paul independent run, to successfully Nader away McCain’s votes. Shoe-in for OBAMA.

I will be watching the three founding members of the Grateful Dead rock the vote tonight, one night only.

God bless

February 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  13. Jean

You asked what is Hillary's weak spot, in my opinion it is Bill. He is negotiating with foreign foreigh governments to the tune of millions for his "foundation" with no rules as to spending. If she had the backbone she claims she would have thrown him out years ago.

She scares me, and I think her ambition will remove the good that is left in this country. She is abrasive, and is saying what the people want to hear, not really what she believes deep down.

February 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. Jamaica

Sue, before you complain about U.S. politics and its media coverage, perhaps you should focus on that little gay-bashing island you call home.

February 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. Kim

CNN is also reporting that Clinton will likely win California because the state held early voting – back in late fall and December, when Clinton was holding double-digit leads over Obama.
    California field polls and state news media are showing Clinton with a 5 to 12 point lead over Obama.
    She will win California tomorrow and overall most states. The media is putting huge spin on Obama catching up to keep us all pumped up.

February 4, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. kurt

I can't believe what I am reading, people really think that CNN favors HRC over Obama? What an insane stance to take. I have been watching the debates it appears that HRC gets so much more exposure and time to speak. The HRC supporters are simply whining because they are finding that she is just not the right person, and everybody is starting to see it. BTW what the hell is up with her crying AGAIN just before people go to vote. That bird has gone batty.

February 4, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Ellen

I am a 38 year old mother of 2 born and raised a Republican. I have never in my life paid very much attention to politics, not really cared very much–until this year–until Senator Barack Obama came into my life. He is truly inspiring. He makes me feel hopeful for the future–my children's future. I think this is what he inspires in so many of us. A vote for Obama is a vote for America. Yes we can.

February 4, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  18. Gavin

Wolf, please stop using the word "UH" so INCESSENTLY during your broadcasting

It's terrible distracting and nerve-racking

oh, and give Senator Clinton equal time on CNN.

February 4, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. CD from CT

Wolf – with all the MEDIA hype about only four canidates (?) I really hope the VOTING public remembers the MORE important canidate – Mr. Huckabee. With the mud slingging the other 4 are doing I hope they bury themselves and let us get on with a real honest sincere God fearing individual who can keep us safe and get us back on top as a true world power.

Unite mothers, wives, girlfriends, children and relatives of America ! Go VOTE !

February 4, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. Nicole Price, Dallas Texas

At least the Paul supporters remain in their parents basements, expelling the virtues of their candidate over the internet, versus at the polls.
    Tommorow will be eye opening for many Paul supporters, when they return to earth from Planet Paul.

February 4, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. WE NEED A CHANGE!!!!

Go Obama!!!

February 4, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. Juan

Shut up Wolf.

February 4, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  23. Bru, Asheville, NC

Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but when I first started reading the comments in the CNN Political Ticker blog about 6 months ago, many were calling CNN the Clinton News Network because they felt CNN was so biased for Hillary. Now it seems the many of the comments are saying that CNN favors Obama.

What has changed? The people writing these responses, or CNN's coverage?

Which ever case is true, it seems unfair to me. If we, as voters, are to make an intelligent decision about whom to vote for (both in the primaries and the general election), and we get most of our information from the mainstream media, I believe we are getting incomplete information. In my opinion, the media seems to be covering the candidates as if it were a popularity contest and not an election to pick the leader of this country for 4 years. They only seem to cover the "top-tier" candidates, and seldom the rest.

Shouldn't all candidates be treated equally, as long as they are candidates still in the race? Aren't the voters qualified to listen to ALL ideas from ALL candidates, and make our decisions on that, rather than on the filtered information from the media?

Or am I just being naive by thinking that it's not about how much money the candidate has in their pocket?

February 4, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  24. Keith

Does CNN want republicans in the white house? My message for all democrats. Please vote Hillary. She is the only one who can win against Republicans. Hillary and Obama are no different. Obama does not stand a chance. Republicans are going to crucify him in the run upto general election.

Democrats for Hillary.

February 4, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  25. Jamie

I have never seen CNN so manipulative in it's coverage of a political campaign. I would be happy with either Clinton or Obama, but CNN's constant coverage of Obama makes think I had better vote for Clinton to be on the safe side.

February 4, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |