February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Dem all the way

I have been an avid CNN supporter since election 2000 and I'm so glad to see that I'm not losing my mind and others have noticed the blatant Obama bias in the media. Like others, I have noticed that whenever I criticize Obama or support Hillary, my comments never seem to get posted (I wonder even as I type if this one will make it!) It was the final straw to see that ridiculous ticker article about Hillary "crying". I'm also wondering -after this is all over -if there will articles and stories about the whole Obama hype/cult and how it happened. As a Dem, I'll support whoever is the nominee- but it does give me great concern to see this bias...

February 4, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  2. Braineel

Um, folks Hillary pictures have been on CNN's front page almost all day, relax with this "vast media conspiracy" theory. People are abuzz, and the subject of that buzz truly is with her opponent. I have profound respect for her, but I believe she is a much more polarizing figure. I have to say, Obama is the way.

February 4, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  3. Shupikai

Wolfe, what's with the anti-Obama campaign by CNN. Now he is siding with extreme regimes? You need to get back to the "issues" and not these alarming soundbites. This is a week of the underdogs. GO GIANTS, GO OBAMA, GO ROMNEY, GO RON PAUL. Split screen? I think going forward Obama and the rest of the underdogs should shy away from the "best" political team. Currently watching MSNBC following that very sad report. But you are right Wolfe, what a race. I hope no one gets a heart attack over this very high strung race.

February 4, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  4. lolo

Go Hillary! I am here in California and I convinced several people to go your way instead of McCain!!!!Go Hillary!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. demo from GA

CNN is bias because it needs ratings not facts. Clinton shows much more substance and leadership than Obama, but calling it a draw keeps interest and ratings going. There is also a fear factor of media show bias against a black canidate, not that Clinton is better just he can not look not as good. Sad journalism but that is the sad reality. Clinton should beat Obama by a significant margin, then maybe he those his support to her, if not, the republican are back in just as the national media want.

February 4, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  6. Anonymous

"the best political team on television" HAS BEEN SAID WAY TO MUCH. I AM GOING TO GO CRAZY IF I HEAR THE BIG Wolfe SAY THAT ONCE MORE. WE GET THE MEASAGE.

February 4, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  7. tony

February 4, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  8. Jackstrider

For democrats, the choice should be a simple question of strategy for November.
    Hillary unifies the Republicans who are unanimously against her.
    Obama unifies Americans by appealing across party lines for real solutions.
    Do the Democrats want to win in November?

February 4, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. YS, Sacramento

Dear Wolf,

It seems to me that the Situation Room spents more time to report Barak Obama's campaign than Hillary Clinton's, with an always positive tone about the former, and many times a negative tone about the later. DOES CNN ENDORSED BARAK OBAMA? OTHERWISE, PLEASE MAINTAIN THE FAIRNESS AND OBJECTIVITY OF A PUBLIC MEDIA!

February 4, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. eva

CNN you were always my favorite station, but not anymore. I am a lifelong Democrat , but because of your unfairness during this campaign, if Obama gets a nomination, he will never gets our votes(my husbands and mine). I hope that this time my comment will not end-up in moderation process.

February 4, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Omar K.

I have to give my piece on this...
    Clinton,
    She is running a race of seperation. Breaking the country into women are better, trying to sell us something like a car sales person. If you look at her surrounding, she wants to be a woman president (the core of the issue) with pull outs and plans that do not make sense on the ground, but sells you an idea.

Obama,
    He is running as an American. Although he is African American who only represent 10-13% of the country (women 50% or more), he is running as an American for the people. His surrounding is mixed (like the US is) and his plans and such are towards the people all in all and not based on seperating the nation.

Republicans,
    Just another Bush. Common people!!!!

Regards,
    Omar K.

February 4, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  12. Joe, Boston

Wolf, I just watched your interview with Obama. Why don't you blog about the fact that he reserved the right to keep our troops in Iraq after 16 months? hmmm..seems like he's changing his tune. Typical politician. But of course the media won't pick up on that flip/flop!

February 4, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  13. Jacob

Great coverage and insight, as always. As for the candidates...Obama is great on generalizations but I have,yet, to hear a definitive factual package from his camp. Change, Change, Change sounds like a tune from the sixties but does not offer points of fact. Senator McCain has been labelled the liberal conservative with a temper. Anyone remember Richard Nixon's temper? As for Liberal, Rush Limbaugh and his ilk may have to buy one less case of champagne if more tax cuts are delayed but that will be the extent of their suffering. It's going to be an exciting Super Tuesday. Continue the excellent work you and the entire team do everyday.

February 4, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. jjj888

Hillary 08,

Hillary 08,

Hillary 08,

Hillary 08,

February 4, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. Susan

I was watching CNN tonight (on the eve of Super Tuesday) and you mentioned how Obama's plan covers illegal immigrants; although, the debates in SC (as the Jan. 11th transcript reports on CNN.com) he claimed it does NOT cover illegal immigrants. Did you mean to say it didn't cover illegal immigrants? If that was the case, I hope you will make sure the error is corrected. If I misheard the comment, I apologize and retract my comment Mr. Blitzer. Thank you!

February 4, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. Beth

BLITZER IS BIAS! WHY? I DON'T KNOW.

February 4, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Louie

I am still waiting for a straight answer from Obama on any question he is asked. Giving a good speech and being Oprah's latest pet does not rum this nation. In the Clinton years I had a great job and enjoyed my life. I am a independent voter and cannot wait to vote for Hillary and mess up your polls. Please be fair and stop the all Obama all the time CNN hype.

February 4, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Marian

Barack's interview solidifies my impression that he is a flim-flam man. Maybe it's because he's still training-on-the-job, or maybe his strategy is to imply for the inspiration but mean something else, which usually is what Hillary has been saying all along. Flim-flam.

And what's this all about Oprah's statement tha she's a "free" woman (e.g. black woman?) and can vote for who she wants and oh, by the way, white women can vote for Obama, too? If that's not race baiting, what is?

February 4, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. John

Dear Wolf,

If citizens of this country think that Hilary Clinton has her sights set on helping them achieve a better life in the near future, they will have a big disappointment heading their way. I believe that Hilary will become nothing more than a George Bush in a dress. Instead of being a standoff for the Republicans, she will do harm to her own party in Congress.

She has already proclaimed that her White House will house and encourage Special Interests and big Business. If this is true, how can the President serve two masters at the same time–the people and Special Interest?

Who would to serve as Vice President when Bill Clinton is in on everything she does or questions? What go would a VP be to her, except as an overpaid flunky for the things she does not want to do?

Her elevation to the Presidency would be a disaster for this country.

God Bless America,

John
    Maryland

February 4, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  20. Anne

Teary-eyed?

Are you kidding me?

Did any of you actually watch the video before posting your "here we go again" comments, echoing CNN's exploitative but not entirely truthful headline? I watched the entire video. I saw a presidential candidate in a room of supportive colleagues and friends from one of her first post-law school jobs. I did not, however, see tears.

I'm still undecided between Clinton and Obama heading into tomorrow's NJ primary, but my vote will be on the issues - not on this ridiculous reporting by CNN.

February 4, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  21. V from St. Louis, Mo

Margin of error on the gallop poll.... 6%

Obama 08!!

February 4, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  22. Roger

I am not supporting either Clinton or Obama. But it seems to me Obama is a great orator and a people-person. But is he fully capable and qualified to run this great country NOW? I am not sure. America has to face a numerous challenges internally and externally. Besides there could be another war in the horizon. I am afraid, Obama, during his presidency, may make serious mistakes that may cultivate more and more enemies against America. Enough is enough.

Clinton, on the other hand, is a tough person. Her past mistakes, whether she admitted them or not, make her a near-perfect leader to handle issues here and abroad, especially, facing the terrorist.

America, at this point in time, can't afford to have a nice guy in the White House.

February 4, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  23. Chris

Why is Hillary no where in this. CNN has bashed her till its not even funny. All of America knows that she is the only one that can bring CHANGE, not like Obama who only knows how to dream of change.
    HILLARY 08!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. Connie Lin

Please..Obama is sooooo fake !

February 4, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  25. Pedro from Portugal

When I see Obama he reminds me of Jimmy Carter. The ingeniuty makes him say nice things, but the fact is that, like the other one, he doesn´t know the world.

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |