February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. LeftyLadig

Obama is gaining on Clinton every hour, every minute. He has the momentum. GO OBAMA

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. JohnS

Some of the Dems, like the Clintons, are so self-destructive, they cannot even recognize the enemies they have made over these years.

May be the Independents and Moderate Republicans should start to send a strong message to the Dems as soon as they put Hillary out there as a nominee.

Who, in their right minds, can ever drop his/her vote for the Dems after all those years of the Clinton scandals? The distractions of any other Clinton cabinet would be so hugh, it would distract from the FOCUS on real "people issues." So, let the Dems vote for Hillary and take this nation back to the "stone ages" of wealth, division, scandals, and immorality!!!! IS this the BEST the Dems can offer the nation and the world–Hillary, Bill & the female Interns?

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Dem08

I think everyone should be heard equally. To that end, everyone should watch Hillary Clinton tonight at 9pm when she holds a nationwide townhall. She will answer question, and talk about issues. This is important because many out here are making voting decisions based on hearsay and skewed reporting. You should be 100% sure before you cast your vote. Listen to both sides and make the best possiable choice. Unfortunatly, the media has done very little to address where the canidates stand on the issues. Hallmark channel or watch the town hall at the clinton website.

Whatever choice you make, make sure its an informed choice.

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Brian

I witnessed Senator Obama speak on Saturday. Even in a Republican dominated state like Idaho the excitement was huge. The fact that a candidate would even take time out of his busy pre-Super Tuesday schedule to speak to a state that has little in the way of votes to offer speaks volumes about this man. He speaks of reaching out to everyone and rebuilding what has been torn apart since 9/11. I served in the Army and those I served with are now closer to me than my own flesh and blood. I can't sit here and worry about their lives any longer. They need to come home! Obama is the only candidate that opposed the war and the only one that can bring my brothers home. No more red state blue state political games. As evident by the rest of the comments, we are a country torn apart. He is the only one who can make us whole again. I am not telling you whom to vote for; I am just telling you that this is what Obama stands for.

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Mithi Govil

Bill Clinton is going to be the biggest pain in the neck for the country. Both Bill and Hillary are PHONEY. All they want is POWER. They DO NOT care for ordinary people.
    I am a Democrat and I support Barrack Obama.

February 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. V from St. Louis, Mo

All the Hillary supportors are creating so many excusses. I guess I would too if my cannidate was losing support by the hours. Litterally, Obama has basically erased her lead. Believe it or not, Obama is a true contender and will make history. It is time for the next generation to lead this country...

Obama 08!!

February 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Paul GA

When Clinton landslide Florida were stump for words, then called the votes a sham,,,,Horrible reporting by C N N. I hope and pray a Clinton landslide tommorow and watch he eat all these word.
    I guess moration will be coming on this one too.

February 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Maureen

How unfair to interview Obama and have nothing on Clinton. I am undecided, but the media is doing a great job of pushing Obama ad naseum. How about equal time? Why not let the voters decide? Isn't there anyone else at CNN who can comment except Wolf? I enjoy Jack and his unvarnished comments – he should have more air time. You would be more effective if you would quit making the news and only report the news. If Obama is truly the change candidate, what is he doing with Tom Daschle, the original obstructionist during his years in Congress. Because Daschle was unwilling to comprise on anything, nothing got done. Now he is trying to "help" Obama? What does Daschle get if Obama is elected? Are we going back to more of the same???

February 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. lynn

A vote for Obama in the primary is a vote for McCain in November

February 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. Paul GA

CNN is bias because it needs ratings not facts. Clinton shows much more substance and leadership than Obama, but calling it a draw keeps interest and ratings going. There is also a fear factor of media show bias against a black canidate, not that Clinton is better just he can not look not as good. Sad journalism but that is the sad reality. Clinton should beat Obama by a significant margin, then maybe he those his support to her, if not, the republican are back in just as the national media want.

February 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. Mark

Hey Wolf you might as well have Obama on your show tonight CNN had Oprah
    on all weekend .Are you going to ask him about the articles that came out this weekend about the nuclear leak and his past votes on gun control that will rest good with the independants and republican votes he is suppose to get .Hopefully the voters will be much smarter when they get in the voting booth because the news media shoved Bush down our throats when he ran and look what we got .Nobody has ever question this guy about anything and look out if he wins the nomination the Republicans will eat him up and spit him out because when the other Demorcratic candidates ever questioned this guy the news media said they were playing dirty politics .Well all I can say Demorcrats when you vote tomorrow !!
    IT THE ECONOMY STUPID !!!!! HILLARY 2008!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Mithi Govil

I will not support Hillary. I believe she will not be honest with American people.

February 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  13. Brigitte N.

I guess it is no coincident that Mr. Blitzer–one of the "objective" and "balanced" talking heads does not mention Senator Clinton in his line-up of exciting and pumped up candidates he interviewed on an allegedly impartial network.
    Mr. Blitzer, like everyone else, has the right to biased blogging–but it certainly should be apart from his role as host to a news TV network

February 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  14. Krissy

Quit whining and just vote!

February 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  15. Andrew

Socialogically speaking, Obama as president would change the entire dynamic of race in America. Not only will America's original sin take a very significant ablution, but all African Americans, particularly men, will have a new icon of hope, a role model for themselves and their progeny, of possibilities. Worldwide, the US would begin to represent a new worldliness, a sense of it's place in a brotherhood of nations.

February 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Laurinda

Well, maybe Wolf likes the uncertainty but, I don't. I am getting to the point that says none of them are any good for our country. I am so disqusted in the way they all behave it is like Romper Room.

February 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. jmj

I'd rather have a president with a plan, someone with proven record of public service, something to show me. Obama's not done that. I find him too arrogant & snide, full of gleaned sound bites polished "to make the lemmings leap". Shoving Obama at me I find offensive. Give me a break. Will not vote Obama... Still think for myself.

February 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. eg

A bit skewed? thats putting it mildly.Like its just by chance that Wolf interviewed Obama and aired it how many times for him to spew his rhetoric given to him by the far left on the day before super tuesday. Should have asked him about his lies re Exalon in Iowa and if he thinks being boneheaded with Rezko is the kind of judgement he'll have on day one.Also if all his negative emails is the way he'll change, he's getting more and more like Bush tactics all the time.

February 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. Jennifer

as a Hispanic women, it is hard to chose between a black man and a female candidate, I wish I could vote for both of them. After seem in peson both of them in Minneapolis, over the week end, my vote goes to Hillary Clinton, she is warm,very intelligent and caring.

February 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. Rae

I hate the uncertainty. It was fun for a while but now I want to KNOW!!

February 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. chuck

Wolf,
    Just remember that Hillary has an excellent memory and she will remember how much you have seemed to favor Obama. All of the people at CNN seem tilted towards the Windmill called Obama. Substance is Hillary and Wishful thinking is Obama. We need a President who can undo the harm done by the Bush Administration. When that is done we can move forward.

Chuck

February 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Jennifer

as a Hispanic women, it is hard to chose between a black man and a female candidate, I wish I could vote for both of them. After seem in peson both of them in Minneapolis, over the week- end, my vote goes to Hillary Clinton, she is warm,very intelligent and caring.

February 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. CO, MO.

are will voting for candidate that will lead our country and save our economy or we are voting for momentum, Oprah/Kennedy or what? pleace wake up american!

February 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. Susan4Change

How can Wolf speak about Super Tuesday and not even mention Hillary's name??? CNN has apparently become THE advertiser for Obama.

February 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  25. mjo

Who said "make it simple, vote for Obama" That is a great word describing his policies and platform. Not well thought out. Just go get people energized!

Please think before you vote!

HILLARY 2008