February 4th, 2008

Blitzer: I love the uncertainty

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - The excitement is building, especially for the candidates. I could see that when I taped an interview today with Sen. Barack Obama for The Situation Room. We went through several substantive issues. He was certainly cool and collected when we spoke. But I could also see he was pumped.

I could see the same thing Sunday when I interviewed Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. They have been working for so long to reach this pivotal point, and the pressure on them is clearly enormous. When the process began more than a year ago, there were certainly other prominent candidates out there, including Rudy Giuliani, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Fred Thompson, among others. But they fell aside, and we are now in the final stages of selecting the two parties’ nominees. The whittling-down process is almost complete.

The process could be completed on Super Tuesday – or not. That is now up to the millions and millions of voters out there who are getting ready to cast their ballots and in the process make history.

We have learned a great deal about the various candidates. We have also learned a lot about the primary and caucus process in recent weeks. And if the nomination process is still up in the air after tomorrow, we are about to learn a whole lot more. We will be learning about very complicated party rules, so-called superdelegates, and more.

If the polls are right – and that remains a big 'if' given some of our recent experiences – we are more likely to get finality on the Republican than the Democratic side. What I love about all of this is the uncertainty and unpredictability. Let’s get on to Super Tuesday.

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mitt Romney

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mike Huckabee

Related video: Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Barack Obama

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Charlie

As a single parent I understand that it is not about me, but the sacrifices I consider and the decisions I make daily are about and for my daughters future, and when I heard Barack state that he understood this principle and values the ability of us all coming together for change and that he is the vehicle but he cannot do it without us... it resonated to me that he was MY PRESIDENT and that I mattered in the process of government in his opinion and I felt like he invited me to the table to contribute my thoughts and that they were important for him to hear and understand to be able to act on our behalf. Barack Obama is MY PRESIDENT I know you are willing to walk a mile in my shoes!!!

And if the People of the United States of America so choose, he will be a Beacon of Hope for the World.

February 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. dms

You love the uncertainty yet you are so biased. And you are not supposed to be because you are a news reporter and CNN is supposed to be fair to all. From watching CNN and listening to you as you are on the screen, it sounds like BO is the only Democrat running in these United States.

February 4, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. dms

In the above article you didn't even mention the fact that Hillary is in the running.

GO, Hillary. You are the most intelligent one of the two of you.

February 4, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  4. sg

Wolf and all CNN except Lou Dobbs and Caftrey file are all bias. You guys have tarnished your name. You all the favoring so much obama all the time. You do not let any chance to go put Hillary down. You bring reporter puposely who favors obama. It would be too later for you all to do anything because we saw your true color. You can not see women commander in cheif and evern ready to bring person who does not deserve this position. I do not see Much difference between FOX AND CNN. You are making it so obvious. Obama does need to spent money for ad because you have been doing for him 24/7.
    Wolf, I really like you, but I am very disappointed with you and your station.
    Lou Dobbs and Jeff please keep up the good work.

February 4, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  5. Beth

this is getting so out of control the media is so biased for Obama.The did the same thing to Edwards...

February 4, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  6. BlackHouse

Lets make the change even JFK could not! Change the color of White House!

February 4, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. John

I will vote Republican if Obama wins. I know there are many others in my State who will vote Republican and not Democrat.

February 4, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. rabblerouser

CNN is voting for Obama! Everyone else is voting for Hillary!!! You go, girl...

February 4, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  9. Deb

Why isn't CNN covering the story from last week's NY Times and today's Washington Post about Bill Clinton's shady dealings with the Canadian Tycoon Frank Guistra and Kazakhstan and Uranium? Because it is before Super Tuesday=that's why! This station is too far left-the other is too far right. It is insane.

Why doesn't press let us decide who is the worst of the worst and who we are willing to tolerate and who we won't?? It fhis was a Replublican their run would be over but since it is a Clinton-NOTHING. I haven't decided either way mostly because I do not have enough information. I think a former president who would be in the White House with her who is making money off a guy working with a shady government is a HUGE issue. I am sorry CNN does not.

What does an American have to do to get information about a candidate!!!!! I know more about Joran Vander Sloot than I do the people that are going to run the nation. Fabulous.

February 4, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. myconcerns

reading a lot of the comments that people liked obama when he made the statement that you have to be right the first time. where these same people listning when he said he needed good people around him because he wasn't going to be right all the time??????? as far as good people who is going to be more quilified to bring the most qulified people in their cabinet?

February 4, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  11. JEAN

I'm voting for Hillary, so Michelle Obama's children and grandchildren are not fighting the next 100 years in Iraq

February 4, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  12. DD

Wolf,you are the person most respected at Cnn so you MUST Stop this continual negative tearing down of Senator Clinton and The Pumping up of this PHONEY flim Flam man Obama.How can you do this to your country and family?
    If you keep pushing, along with Cafferty and even Candy,Suzanne this will be the worst disaster in current history.

Why can't Cnn do real journalism? dig into the real sham he is?there are stories that your staff should have been looking into,but No all your reporters are acting star struck Please don't Destroy your opportunity to reveal his many weaknesses.

PLEASE! Senator Clinton has the experience and would be an outstanding President! this is not a horse race this is the most important office in this Country.
    The Obama's have started the RACE conversation watch GMA Michelle's arrogant attitude they both need to grow up without the nanny's Oprah,and Uncle Ted,Jesse Jackson.This is job for a grown up not a devisive,arrogant CHILD!
    Tell Jack Cafferty if Senator Clinton loses he did everything to destroy her.DISGUSTING! You also need to get rid of Bernstein who is trying to sell negative books about HRC.WHY are you and Cnn doing this?

February 4, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  13. ANTI CLINTONS

Obama all the way, not the crook Clinton's!

Obama!

February 4, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. pam Eugene OR

I have to agree with Tom. I am voting for Obama and I am an energetic supporter. About 60% of what I post stays in moderation hell till it is finally removed. I spent months calling CNN Clinton News Network. They never had anything good to say about him.
    Now that he is doing better in the polls and finally getting a little bit of copy from CNN you Clinton folks are trying to say CNN is bias for him???????????

February 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  15. Benjamin

Obama supporters realizing that he is arrogant is like Patriot fans waking up today and realizing their coach and team leaders are arrogant...they don't like it, and will deny the truth behind it.

My posts never make it. They're not mean, I don't call anyone stupid for choosing who they choose, just provide reason to return common sense to some people. Somehow, I read a lot of "Hillbilly", and Clinton = liar, or = fake, or = hitlery. How is that fair?

Why, at the most dangerous time in American History since WWII, would I want to trust everything in a guy who gives inspiration speeches, versus a woman who lays out her plans in great detail with full risk mitigation and funding answers, that have short term and long term goals? This isn't the time to RISK change, it's the time to trust in solutions!!

February 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  16. Hildy from Sacramento CA.

The more Obama surrounds himself with every famous Tom, Dick and Harry the weaker he comes across.
    I'm a women and I will definitely vote for Hillary. It's much more historial to vote for a women than it is to vote for a man who happens to be black.

Oprah showed her real face. I've watched her from day one, but she has disappointed me. Ever since Oprah got involved he seems like a light weight. Oprah cheapened him.

February 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. DavidM

We keep talking about the war that Hillary vote for. It’s sad that Obama wasn’t in the congress at the time the vote came up. In my opinion he could of voted for the war. I say that because he’s voted the same way Hillary has since he’s been in the congress. The media has make Obama because they dislike the Clintons. Honestly if this would have been a white man do you think he would be where Obama is today, let’s real. The Clinton’s have not been able to attack Obama because he’s BLACK. Anything you say about a black person whether your right or wrong you’re a racist. Just look at the statement about Jesse Jackson, which was true. The first black president Bill Clinton is a racist, let’s be honest.

February 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. Ron

Obama is like a preacher – big promises about a blissful after life but absolutely no proof it exist.

February 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  19. Benjamin

Clinton will eat any republican opponent and spit them out in the general election.

McCain? Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran!! Do we forget??!!

February 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  20. Barbara

Why does Obama have to have so many people campaign with him, such as the Kennedys and Oprah. Can't he make it on his own? How can he be president when he can't campaign by himself? We need a president that can think for themselves. Answer me that. Also, it wasn't Bill Clinton that played the race card....it was OPRAH. The press only takes a small part of someone's statement and blows it out of proportion. If Obama gets the Democratic nomination, I and a lot of my friends will vote Republican. So let's pray that Hillary gets the nomination.

February 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  21. BA

I'm sorry, but sending any of the three Senators (McCain, Clinton,or Obama) back to Washington is not the answer that America needs. America will get a lot of the same or worse than what it has right now. They have been in Washington and haven't gotten anything done. America will go no where on any stance, whether it be militarily or otherwise, if it doesn't have a strong economy. As much as a lot of people don't like Mitt Romney, he is the only one that can expose Washington for what it has done to this nation and turn it around so we, as a nation, can get back on track. Mitt Romney understands what kind of nation we will be living in if any of the Senators go back to Washington, that is exactly why he has put his money where his mouth is. He won't have anyone to payback but himself. None of the other canidates, Democrat or Republican, can say that.

February 4, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  22. Sudhir

Obama went to work in streets of chicago after completing education, he tought constitution and then worked as senator in IL and then in US senate. Hillary was first lady of Arkansas and US, then she has been senator for last few years. WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE????

Please... My wife is an architect. we are married for 4 years now but I have no clue about Architecture.... Can some please hire me as Architect????? PLEASE

February 4, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Victoria

"Is he fully capable..." I can't believe anyone would seriously raise this question. The man has more character than 99% of our current politicos. He has raised himself up to a brilliant performance at Harvard largely on his own merits. He has experienced life outside our protected boundaries. He knows the world and his own mind more thoroughly. Read his books. He is truly a lighthouse shining into the darkness that is quickly engulfing our future. Bless you OB.

February 4, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  24. Jeannie Sibert

I have watched as a combination of the news media and their analyists, the Kennedy Family, and Oprah Winfrey have over and over put Senator Obama out there as if he is the next coming of the Lord. Yes, he is an eliquent speaker and I am sure a good and devoted person, but he lacks the experience and the knowledge of life situations that only experience and time brings.

I am not supporting Senator Hillary Clinton because she is a women or the former "First Lady", but because of her honesty in how we will actually bring about the CHANGES in this nation we are all desparately wanting and needing.

Speaking of CHANGE is easy, bringing it about is very hard...

February 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  25. Nathalie

It is Monday February 4th and I have yet to see anything out of any of the candidates that will change my mind. I will still cast my vote for John Edwards on Super Tuesday. Even out of the race he is the best candidate.

February 4, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |